Chainstay protector

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
51IFEq8+TmL._SX355_.jpg
I have one of these on MTB. Had it put on when I bought bike in 1987. On now with double sided tape.
Helicopter tape on 2 others and something similar was put on new bike before I picked it up. Guy in LBS had never heard of helicopter tape.

I'm still not sure helicopter tape isn't some in-joke on here...
:biggrin:

Ajax Bay

Guru
it also claims to "reduce chain noise". How does that work ?
When the chain 'bounces' against the chainstay it makes a noise. That noise is lessened if a chainstay protector is fitted. That's what the blurb is referring to as 'chain noise'. I agree: not what most think of as 'chain noise' - which should be inaudible with a well maintained and lubricated chain running through a well adjusted rear derailleur and not rubbing on the front cage (because of cross-chaining or maladjustment).

ChrisEyles

Guru
I'm a big fan of the zip tied inner tube myself. Doesn't look too horrendous if you take a bit of time to cut a section to size and secure it neatly, and works very well to protect the chain stays and deaden chain slap noise.

Drago

Legendary Member
View attachment 431688
I have one of these on MTB. Had it put on when I bought bike in 1987. On now with double sided tape.
Helicopter tape on 2 others and something similar was put on new bike before I picked it up. Guy in LBS had never heard of helicopter tape.

Ah, the old Shimano sharkfin. Originals sell for good dollar on Retrobikes.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
But still, presumably, a chain ?

True, but on a hub gear bike the chain would have to elongate by several inches to slap the stay.

Realistically, it's never going to happen.

The same bike was available with derailer gears, and it looks like Rose put a protector on all versions.

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
True, but on a hub gear bike the chain would have to elongate by several inches to slap the stay.

Realistically, it's never going to happen.

The same bike was available with derailer gears, and it looks like Rose put a protector on all versions.

I have a chainstay protector on the single speed. It's mostly there decoration, but does give me something to rest the chain on when I am changing the gearing around

Top Bottom