Changeing 'villages' - ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simongt

Guru
Had the chance to do some local day riding around the eastern part of Norfolk this week. One thing that has become sadly :dry: more noticeable in recent years is the number of villages that I ride through which despite no longer having any 'facilities' i.e., shop, pub, post office etc., etc., they are still expanding with new build houses. Many of the properties, old and new have expensive, at least by my standard; anything over £30k, cars parked outside.
So can it be inferred that it's the folk who don't want to live in proximity with us townies who live in such places and prefer to get stuck in the madhouse of the daily commute - ? :whistle:
Is it similar in other counties - ?
However, it's 'good to see' that, judging by the number of vans that I saw, Tesco and the like are now doing a roaring trade in home deliveries - ! :rofl:

Willd

Veteran
ha ha When he was alive, this used to be my grandad's cow sheds :laugh:

Had the chance to do some local day riding around the eastern part of Norfolk this week. One thing that has become sadly :dry: more noticeable in recent years is the number of villages that I ride through which despite no longer having any 'facilities' i.e., shop, pub, post office etc., etc., they are still expanding with new build houses. Many of the properties, old and new have expensive, at least by my standard; anything over £30k, cars parked outside.
So can it be inferred that it's the folk who don't want to live in proximity with us townies who live in such places and prefer to get stuck in the madhouse of the daily commute - ? :whistle:
However, it's 'good to see' that, judging by the number of vans that I saw, Tesco and the like are now doing a roaring trade in home deliveries - ! :rofl:

Lots of people can work remotely now. Hopefully bigger populations will create opportunities for local shops and amenities ?

30k plus cars are everywhere.

midlife

Guru
The village where I live on the outskirts of Carlisle is throwing up houses like no tomorrow! Over half a million quid for many of them. Post office is closing and one tiny pub and a primary school. I moved here to get a garden (house is a 30's money pit). The new houses have extensive parking mostly.

Sharky

Guru
We live in a village, at least we think it is village, but we have an ongoing debate with our SIL that it can't be a village. Just because we have an Olde Waitrose Shoppe in the village.

He must be wrong of course.

Re the cars:
1) Bear in mind that some may be company cars, not owned by the home owner.
2) Some may be on lease, or whatever its called where you pay an amount each month to "own" the car, then give it back at the end of the contract.

I don't dispute your overall point about more affluent people spilling out of cities to take up residence in the outlying villages. Presumably, once enough of them settle, someone will try to reopen a village shop, albeit probably one selling artisan bread, artisan coffee and organic avacados......

pawl

Legendary Member
We have had three new estates built over the last three years.GP surgery is overstretched Not that you can get to see a doctor currently unless your on your last legs.School is rammed .Non of the builds have included any extra public facilities All we get is road closures after road clouser

Very evident around here too. And also in the places in which we take our holidays, around Speyside and Inverness. Seems to be the way of the World.

Dolorous Edd

I do find it odd that many of these tiny new builds have a couple of really fancy cars on the drive. Some people’s priorities are very strange.

Hardly any of them are paying £30k+ for their cars though - it's all on the never never - sorry - "personal contract plan"

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I do find it odd that many of these tiny new builds have a couple of really fancy cars on the drive. Some people’s priorities are very strange.
I think is a country wide issue , mrsck went to look at a new build just up the road from us a few years ago and it was the usual boxes that the 3rd bedroom was crammed into the loft , garden 3 fence panels long and overlooked but parking for 2 car at the front .Since then numerous estates have all sprung up that revolve around car culture .

Last edited:

Dolorous Edd

Are you sure ? If it's being paid for on the drip there's still 30 or even 50 grand coming from somewhere

For example, the customer puts down a deposit of £5k and then pays £400 a month for 3 years. Total cost £20k. Then the leasing company takes the car back and sells it second hand for another £20k. So that's enough to buy a 35k car, and cover the finance cost and make a small profit for the leasing company.

The point is, the customer never has £35k, and never owns the car. At the end of the 36 months, they have to find another deposit and start the whole process over again.

Top Bottom