Charge Spoon versus Brooks B17: Fight Time

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jay clock

Massive member
So the two saddles that seem to get the most fanatical praise on here are the Charge Spoon and the Brooks B17. I currently have the Spoon on two road bikes plus a couple of spares. And a superb choice for me for long rides (up to 112 miles). On my tourer (Koga Miyata WT) I have a Brooks which I am happy with but not ecstatic. And it has worn in over 10 years so not new

Any views from anyone who has used a Spoon on a tourer, ie in a more upright position, and particularly if you had a Brooks before....?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRJIiYU1TPmbeLFTpDnF3R4F4dOkamV4F-YOKAUdFYXX5t7e6S9Pg.jpg

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I love my brooks, and would be reluctant to risk change - upside, save a few quid - downside - misery.

If the charge spoon suits you, the same logic applies. I can't see the benefit of the brooks for you being worth the bother. For the same reason, I see no reason to try a charge spoon

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I also have both.

Charge Spoon. Great saddle, no problem if it gets wet, maintenence free, cheap as chips, comfortable for miles and miles, different colours. Lightweight.

Brooks B17. Great saddle, Iconic, comfortable for miles and miles, stays wet a long time if not looked after or covered, very expensive, heavy, few colour choices, needs regular maintenence. Status symbol. Can take an age to break in. Not everyone has a Brooks bum.

Both great saddles but I am more inclined to use a charge Spoon now.

Last edited:

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
It's very much personal preference. Brooks saddles are very well thought of in the Audax and touring communities, however I like my Spoons, one of which is on my touring bike and my longest ride on it was 420 km, or about 1200km in a two week tour.

I haven't tried a Brooks, as a)Spoons are cheap and seem to work, 2) they don't need protecting from the rain and iii) I may find I like a Brooks more, which would be an expensive discovery as I'd then want to change all my bikes over :blush:

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
So the two saddles that seem to get the most fanatical praise on here are the Charge Spoon and the Brooks B17. I currently have the Spoon on two road bikes plus a couple of spares. And a superb choice for me for long rides (up to 112 miles). On my tourer (Koga Miyata WT) I have a Brooks which I am happy with but not ecstatic. And it has worn in over 10 years so not new

Any views from anyone who has used a Spoon on a tourer, ie in a more upright position, and particularly if you had a Brooks before....?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRJIiYU1TPmbeLFTpDnF3R4F4dOkamV4F-YOKAUdFYXX5t7e6S9Pg.jpg
I don't understand your post? :wacko:

You have Spoon saddles on two of your bikes and you love them. You have 'A N Other' saddle on your tourer that you are not 100% sure about. You have spare Spoons that you can try on the tourer. What is your point/question?

PS: I have a Spoon on my hybrid and can happily ride it in comfort for two 100+ mile days on the trot if that answers your question (and I don't wear padded shorts!).

OP
OP
jay clock

jay clock

Massive member
I don't understand your post? :wacko:

You have Spoon saddles on two of your bikes and you love them. You have 'A N Other' saddle on your tourer that you are not 100% sure about. You have spare Spoons that you can try on the tourer. What is your point/question?

PS: I have a Spoon on my hybrid and can happily ride it in comfort for two 100+ mile days on the trot if that answers your question (and I don't wear padded shorts!).
The reason is ( odd I know!) is that I have the tourer in the loft and not easy to get out, and for storage reasons I tend to get it out as late as possible before a tour. So really trying to see if someone else has done it already. Which you seem to have done!. Will pop a Spoon on for a quick test when I get the tourer down

Drago

Legendary Member
For me the B17.

However, as my arse is likely to be a different size, shape, firmness and age to the OPs what works for me is almost certainly irrelevant to him.

Top Bottom