Charge Spoon versus Brooks B17: Fight Time

Discussion in 'Components, Accessories and Clothing' started by jay clock, 29 Feb 2016.

Tags:
  1. If you are planning to do 100km a day, I really would endeavour to do that distance at least once, if possible with a fully kitted up and laden bike, but definitely with the saddle.

In the UK, sure, but in New Mexico? Maybe not so much.

If the comfort is the same, I'd suggest using the cheapest one. If you end up getting the Brooks shipped to you, a sub £20 saddle can disposed of without much thought (charity shop rather than rubbish bin trash can), but a circa £60 one has to be carried with you or packaged and shipped back.

Either way, good luck with your adventure. One advantage I have notices with a Brooks saddle is that airflow through the holes and the leather itself means that things stay fresher on a hot day.

raleighnut likes this.
  2. Soltydog

Soltydog Guru

I tried the spoon saddle & hated it, B17 must really suit my butt, never had a minutes bother with it, comfy from day 1. It's now on my single speed which hardly gets ridden & seems a shame, I have a B17 Imperial on the winter bike, but I don't find it quite as comfy as the std :blush:
    I've recently put a C17 on the Ti bike & again it's been comfy from the off, but the rubberised saddle rubs & squeaks on the clamp with just about every pedal stroke :sad:

& as for colours, think the B17 is still available in Black, Brown, Honey, Blue, Green & Red, not as limited in colours as most other saddles :okay:

Rickshaw Phil likes this.
  3. What about a fur-trimmed Spoon ??

62600.jpg

raleighnut likes this.
  4. Soltydog

Soltydog Guru

Would imagine that would be worse than the brooks if caught in a shower :laugh:

raleighnut likes this.
  5. raleighnut

raleighnut Guru

No worse than the 'Horsehair' mattress saddles once foisted on us by Brooks (amongst others)

6. raleighnut

raleighnut Guru

These abominations,

IMG_3051.jpg

if you've ever sat on a wet one that has frozen then you'll know,

7. Milzy

Milzy Über Member

I did 150 miles on a spoon and it became dreadful. It’s only raves about because it’s decent comfort for such a cheap price.

jefmcg likes this.
  8. I like Skol

I like Skol Hold my beer and watch this..........

I did 185 miles on a spoon and I was bl00dy tired at the end, but still as happy to sit down as I suspect I would have been on any other saddle, and still rode my bike the next day to and from the train stations (only about 10 miles in total).

9. OP
    OP
    jay clock

jay clock Massive member

I have done 4 Ironmans and 10 half Ironmans on Spoons plus all the training to get to the start line so I am very happy with them over 30k+ km. My only concern is if a different bike feels different

10. Vantage

Vantage The dogs chew toy

I had a Madison Flux, basically a Spoon with a different name.
    I'll admit that in the brown faux leather it did look quite cool but it was only visible when my arse wasn't perched on it. Looks are completely pointless.
    It also weighed less than my B17, but on a tourer this is also of little significance as weight can be easily trimmed elsewhere.
    After about 20 miles the pain on my perennial area was pretty bad. As said previously, I too ended up finishing the remaining miles of a few rides having to stand up.
    I've had similar issues with first my Nidd and then my B17. But unlike the Flux/Spoon, on a proper leather saddle it was an easy fix....Just cut out a hole in the middle!

11. I switch my Brooks from a very upright folder to my road bike and it was just as comfortable.

raleighnut and jay clock like this.
  12. Edgy Dee

Edgy Dee Active Member

Are we comparing apples with pears? I did a naive JoGLE on a B17 ten years ago with no botty issues, but my posture then was very upright. Nowadays my rear is fairly well broken in and I rarely experience discomfort, but my posture is much lower than it used to be. I like the spoon because it's light and looks good. But put the two side by side and the Brooks looks like a side of beef. I'm planning a return LEJoG in the near future, and selected the B17 Imperial Narrow as my perch of choice. I'm in the middle of butchering it in time-honoured traditional fashion - new thread with pics to follow when it's done.

raleighnut likes this.
  13. bigjim

bigjim Guru

I've toured a few times with a Spoon on a Galaxy. I think your weight also may come into it. I'm 14.5 stone. I've never had a problem with a Spoon but need to cream up first to stop any chafing. I can tour on a B17 and do not need to use any lube, but I do have get the saddle position just right or I suffer perineal pressure with the Brooks. No problem in that area with the slimmer Spoon.

14. Blue Hills

Blue Hills Guru

The brooks or your "botty" as you term it? If the latter please reserve pics for your nearest and dearest.

15. OP
    OP
    jay clock

jay clock Massive member

that all sounds very similar to me. To confuse things further I may be about to change my bike which may affect position and comfort.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice