Charge Spoon versus Brooks B17: Fight Time

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
I tried the spoon saddle & hated it, B17 must really suit my butt, never had a minutes bother with it, comfy from day 1. It's now on my single speed which hardly gets ridden & seems a shame, I have a B17 Imperial on the winter bike, but I don't find it quite as comfy as the std :blush:
I've recently put a C17 on the Ti bike & again it's been comfy from the off, but the rubberised saddle rubs & squeaks on the clamp with just about every pedal stroke :sad:

& as for colours, think the B17 is still available in Black, Brown, Honey, Blue, Green & Red, not as limited in colours as most other saddles :okay:

What about a fur-trimmed Spoon ??

62600.jpg

Milzy

Guru
I did 150 miles on a spoon and it became dreadful. It’s only raves about because it’s decent comfort for such a cheap price.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I did 150 miles on a spoon and it became dreadful. It’s only raves about because it’s decent comfort for such a cheap price.
I did 185 miles on a spoon and I was bl00dy tired at the end, but still as happy to sit down as I suspect I would have been on any other saddle, and still rode my bike the next day to and from the train stations (only about 10 miles in total).

OP
OP
jay clock

jay clock

Massive member
I have done 4 Ironmans and 10 half Ironmans on Spoons plus all the training to get to the start line so I am very happy with them over 30k+ km. My only concern is if a different bike feels different

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
I had a Madison Flux, basically a Spoon with a different name.
I'll admit that in the brown faux leather it did look quite cool but it was only visible when my arse wasn't perched on it. Looks are completely pointless.
It also weighed less than my B17, but on a tourer this is also of little significance as weight can be easily trimmed elsewhere.
After about 20 miles the pain on my perennial area was pretty bad. As said previously, I too ended up finishing the remaining miles of a few rides having to stand up.
I've had similar issues with first my Nidd and then my B17. But unlike the Flux/Spoon, on a proper leather saddle it was an easy fix....Just cut out a hole in the middle!

Edgy Dee

Cranky Old Guy
Are we comparing apples with pears? I did a naive JoGLE on a B17 ten years ago with no botty issues, but my posture then was very upright. Nowadays my rear is fairly well broken in and I rarely experience discomfort, but my posture is much lower than it used to be. I like the spoon because it's light and looks good. But put the two side by side and the Brooks looks like a side of beef. I'm planning a return LEJoG in the near future, and selected the B17 Imperial Narrow as my perch of choice. I'm in the middle of butchering it in time-honoured traditional fashion - new thread with pics to follow when it's done.

bigjim

Legendary Member
I've toured a few times with a Spoon on a Galaxy. I think your weight also may come into it. I'm 14.5 stone. I've never had a problem with a Spoon but need to cream up first to stop any chafing. I can tour on a B17 and do not need to use any lube, but I do have get the saddle position just right or I suffer perineal pressure with the Brooks. No problem in that area with the slimmer Spoon.

OP
OP
jay clock

jay clock

Massive member
I've toured a few times with a Spoon on a Galaxy. I think your weight also may come into it. I'm 14.5 stone. I've never had a problem with a Spoon but need to cream up first to stop any chafing. I can tour on a B17 and do not need to use any lube, but I do have get the saddle position just right or I suffer perineal pressure with the Brooks. No problem in that area with the slimmer Spoon.
that all sounds very similar to me. To confuse things further I may be about to change my bike which may affect position and comfort.

Top Bottom