Charge Spoon versus Brooks B17: Fight Time

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
The Charge Spoon and my backside parted company after only 2 months.... they just couldn't see eye to eye.

I've had a few brooks, the Swallow was a bit too narrow for me, I really tried to get used to it but I gave up after a year... I settled with one that is basically a B17 with springs... I forgot what model this is.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I've parted company with my two venerable Brooks Professionals (both 1980s vintage). I'm not enamoured of the quality of Brooks's current offerings.

After some experimentation I think I'm decided on Gilles Berthoud's offerings. The only difficulty is that they have very short rails, so seatposts with more layback are required.

FishFright

More wheels than sense
I tried a Charge Spoon briefly. It really didn't suit me one bit so I gave it to a friend to try and he now has 3 of them .
I've not owned a Brooks yet but I get along nicely with Spa's Nidd and Aire Ti.

In connection with this and men;

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-42651568

Encouraging kind of, but no one is going to stand up as often as it suggests.

On the topic, I do have a spoon but never fitted.

Did have a brooks but never dared fit it. Prices shot up so much I sold it for a fair profit.

My saddles are all cheap and all fine. You don't need to spend much for a saddle un!ess trying to shave grams. Just needs to be the right one.

And adjustment can be important. One that near crippled/genitally mutilated me is now one of my most comfortable.

Alan O

Über Member
I do seem to have a Brooks bum, and I spent more than 15 years riding a touring bike on a B17 - and once it was broken in, I never had a moment of posterior discomfort no matter how long my rides.

Back to cycling just over a year ago, and the 3 bikes I'm currently using have the following saddles...

Steel 'road' bike - Brooks Swallow
MTB - Charge Spoon
Steel tourer - Brooks Cambium C17

The Swallow is comfortable right from the start, though I haven't done long distances on it yet. The leather is a bit thin, though, and I have my doubts about its longevity.

The Spoon is fine for my MTB rides, which rarely exceed around 20 miles, but once or twice I've felt a bit of pressure by the end of a ride.

The Cambium is superbly comfortable, on rides up to 100 miles (and even then, my bum was about the only part of me not hurting).

I keep meaning to try the Spoon on my tourer to see how it is on longer rides, but every time I start out I just think the Cambium is so nice...

Anyway, this is just my bum and yours will be different. And I don't use padded shorts or creams or any of that.

Edgy Dee

Cranky Old Guy
I don't use padded shorts or creams or any of that.
I was going to add that apparel is a critical factor in the posterior interface, but you have out-'hard-man'ed me! :notworthy: I agree, a Brooks is probably more forgiving of neglect in that department. Generally I think it's worth investing in the chamois as well as in the saddle.

As an off-spinner, what about the San Marco Rolls? There's a classic saddle that's a bit more 'race-posture' friendly.

OP
OP
jay clock

jay clock

Massive member
OK jury has returned and and given a majority verdict. Brooks a technical KO.

I had a ride for about 90 mins a couple of weeks back with the Spoon on my Koga Miyata and it was meh. So Brooks back on. Today I did 80km fully laden to test the bike, and a bit of barse chafeage (will lube up) but fine.

Bike filthy now!

If anyone wants to read the latest go to www.usacycle2018.com

Top Bottom