1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Charge Spoon versus Brooks B17: Fight Time

Discussion in 'Components, Accessories and Clothing' started by jay clock, 29 Feb 2016.

Tags:
  1. Blue Hills

Blue Hills Guru

you sure this is wise jay so close to the big trip?

jay clock likes this.
  2. Spoked Wheels

Spoked Wheels Guru

The Charge Spoon and my backside parted company after only 2 months.... they just couldn't see eye to eye.

I've had a few brooks, the Swallow was a bit too narrow for me, I really tried to get used to it but I gave up after a year... I settled with one that is basically a B17 with springs... I forgot what model this is.

3. Ian H

Ian H Guru

I've parted company with my two venerable Brooks Professionals (both 1980s vintage). I'm not enamoured of the quality of Brooks's current offerings.

After some experimentation I think I'm decided on Gilles Berthoud's offerings. The only difficulty is that they have very short rails, so seatposts with more layback are required.

4. Adrian

Adrian Heed the elf's wisdom

Flyer?

raleighnut likes this.
  5. FishFright

FishFright Über Member

I tried a Charge Spoon briefly. It really didn't suit me one bit so I gave it to a friend to try and he now has 3 of them .
    I've not owned a Brooks yet but I get along nicely with Spa's Nidd and Aire Ti.

6. Blue Hills

Blue Hills Guru

In connection with this and men;

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-42651568

Encouraging kind of, but no one is going to stand up as often as it suggests.

On the topic, I do have a spoon but never fitted.

Did have a brooks but never dared fit it. Prices shot up so much I sold it for a fair profit.

My saddles are all cheap and all fine. You don't need to spend much for a saddle un!ess trying to shave grams. Just needs to be the right one.

And adjustment can be important. One that near crippled/genitally mutilated me is now one of my most comfortable.

Deafie likes this.
  7. Alan O

Alan O Über Member

I do seem to have a Brooks bum, and I spent more than 15 years riding a touring bike on a B17 - and once it was broken in, I never had a moment of posterior discomfort no matter how long my rides.

Back to cycling just over a year ago, and the 3 bikes I'm currently using have the following saddles...

Steel 'road' bike - Brooks Swallow
    MTB - Charge Spoon
    Steel tourer - Brooks Cambium C17

The Swallow is comfortable right from the start, though I haven't done long distances on it yet. The leather is a bit thin, though, and I have my doubts about its longevity.

The Spoon is fine for my MTB rides, which rarely exceed around 20 miles, but once or twice I've felt a bit of pressure by the end of a ride.

The Cambium is superbly comfortable, on rides up to 100 miles (and even then, my bum was about the only part of me not hurting).

I keep meaning to try the Spoon on my tourer to see how it is on longer rides, but every time I start out I just think the Cambium is so nice...

Anyway, this is just my bum and yours will be different. And I don't use padded shorts or creams or any of that.

raleighnut likes this.
  8. Spoked Wheels

Spoked Wheels Guru

That's the one :okay:

Adrian likes this.
  9. Edgy Dee

Edgy Dee Active Member

I was going to add that apparel is a critical factor in the posterior interface, but you have out-'hard-man'ed me! :notworthy: I agree, a Brooks is probably more forgiving of neglect in that department. Generally I think it's worth investing in the chamois as well as in the saddle.

As an off-spinner, what about the San Marco Rolls? There's a classic saddle that's a bit more 'race-posture' friendly.

Alan O likes this.
  10. OP
    OP
    jay clock

jay clock Massive member

OK jury has returned and and given a majority verdict. Brooks a technical KO.

I had a ride for about 90 mins a couple of weeks back with the Spoon on my Koga Miyata and it was meh. So Brooks back on. Today I did 80km fully laden to test the bike, and a bit of barse chafeage (will lube up) but fine.

Bike filthy now!

If anyone wants to read the latest go to www.usacycle2018.com

Rickshaw Phil and raleighnut like this.