Check your rims

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Coming into work today I noticed that each time I braked I was getting a regular judder on the rear wheel. My initial assumption was that a spoke had gone and the wheel was out of true. Once in the bike shed I could find none broken so I gave the wheel a spin to see if I could spot the wobble. Nothing was wrong looking end on, but I noticed that the rim had a bulge a one spot. One of the problems with having rim brakes is thet they wear out the rims, so Mrs T is coming to collect the bike & me this evening and a new set of wheels are on order.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Exactly the same happened to me on Monday. On the commute home I felt a judder that got progressively worse, suddenly the rim split. Luckily I wasn't going too fast and managaed to bring the bike to a stop. The missus had to come pick me up.... forget new wheels... a new bike is on order. With disc brakes.
I am sick of eating rims up on my commute.

I've popped two rims on the move and both times have been going up Granton Road, going up quite a steep hill with a bulging rim is hard work!. More recently my quasar rear wheel on the Kinesis failed but that was more gradual a small section of the rim went but nothing dramatic and it now sits on the turbo bike. I had been checking it before every ride, it was 12,000miles old.

snorri

Legendary Member
The wear indicator on my front wheel was giving me a message, so after considering the options I have ordered up a new wheel with a black rim to match the black rim on the back. I think this is the first front rim replacement since buying the bike which now has 26,000 miles on the clock. Mainly rural usage, I seldom have to stop for traffic lights.^_^
Beginning to wonder if it really is the original rim when I see the mileage HLaB got from his.:unsure:

PaulSecteur

No longer a Specialized fanboy
Interesting... Seems like a road bike with disks rather than a CX bike that you put road tyres on.

Give us your thoughts about it when you have given it a few outings please!

Can you get a rack and full size guards on it? The rear stays look to have fixings, but not in the usuall place by the axle.

Also, would it have clearence for winter studded tyres?

potsy

Rambler
I have to remember to 'ease' the brakes on my disc braked bike now, such a difference to the Secteur :ohmy:
Front rim on the Secteur has done nearly 8000 miles and I'm wary of how much life it has left.
Especially after reading about Fossy's blow out after 5000ish

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Interesting... Seems like a road bike with disks rather than a CX bike that you put road tyres on.

Indeed, one of the reasons that I chose it. That and I have had a Kona before and they make very good bikes.

Give us your thoughts about it when you have given it a few outings please!

Will do

Can you get a rack and full size guards on it? The rear stays look to have fixings, but not in the usuall place by the axle.

It looks like it takes a rack and guards.

Also, would it have clearence for winter studded tyres?
I would never buy studded tyres as never needed in London, but will check

The wear indicator on my front wheel was giving me a message, so after considering the options I have ordered up a new wheel with a black rim to match the black rim on the back. I think this is the first front rim replacement since buying the bike which now has 26,000 miles on the clock. Mainly rural usage, I seldom have to stop for traffic lights.^_^
Beginning to wonder if it really is the original rim when I see the mileage HLaB got from his.:unsure:
Its a front rim, so it probably will be the original, mine was a rear. I've never worn out a front rim, the Kinesis front is still going :thumbsup:

Wades

It's a testomony to the quality and class on this forum that there hasn't been one smutty comment on this thread...yet

Ladies and Gentlemen, I salute you.

And sound advice OP, something I rarely even think to do.

Top Bottom