Chief Medical Officer calls for an eight-fold increase in cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chap

Veteran
dellzeqq said:
http://road.cc/content/news/15707-c...cerwhoprescribes8-foldincreaseincyclingascure

(the more astute of you will notice that I've taken to reading road cc since appearing in their pages...)

all good stuff. And the connection between built form, carbon and health is rock solid.

Makes sense what he says...too much sense. To the extent that a cursory search on Google News against his name yielded several results about his proposal to vaccinate 'southern hemisphere' students, and to provide annual fitness tests for pupils.

The London Cycle Campaign had a link to the cycle story...not exactly representative of the general population and the dissemination of this message but there is always tomorrow.

It's hard not to agree with the majority of Sir Liam's admirable proposals. How the nirvana that he - and all of us - aspire for - may be the topic of debate though.

I would however point out that - whilst Simon's physique may be the very epitome of slimline elegance (at least, as he was the last time I met him!), many extremely able cyclists of my acquaintance are technically obese, and likely to remain so despite many miles of enthusiastic cycling. That doesn't mean they're not healthy though - I've read that it is possible to be obese and supremely fit. This is not a contradiction.

I am on the obese borderline: BMI nudging 30 - despite cycling and - what I think is - sensible eating.

But this doesn't negate what Donaldson says.

Top Bottom