Chris Boardman has sold the car

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

screenman

Legendary Member
With regards to shoes, I currently have 1 pair of sandals which I bought in Florida in 2014, 1 pair of Sketchers which is the 2nd pair of a pair of pairs I bought for £40 a pair when they were on offer, both pairs will be replaced when this are no longer viable, 1 pair of steel toe capped work boots bought from Screwfix several years ago, a pair of Hi-tech fabric walking boots for riding my MTB on, a pair of leather walking boots, again they were on offer under £50 although the claimed Retail was £100+ & a pair of black leather shoes for hatches, matches & despatches.

Yes I do tend to buy the cheapest of anything I can find, it is only in the last 2-3 years that there has ever been any disposable income, financially we have always struggled & for many years has been my biggest worry & to some degree still is, I have no pension nestegg, I could never afford to fund it, so the future could be very bleak for us in a few years time.

That does not sound good, I have been in that position and worse, homeless with a wife and two month old when I was 18, but please do not think that people in a different position to your have no sense, or have just been lucky.

Tom B

Guru
Really the best idea is if you absolutely need a car is to buy a brand new one and then keep it.

Buy a six month old one and keep it.

If you look at cost per month over lifespan of the car (including repairs) it's probably best to buy three years old. Probably fresh of a PCP that someone has spent 10k on and had to keep spic and span, serviced and minor blemishes have to be stressed about and repaired before returning or the main stealer has their pants down.

Someone mentioned margins on new cars.
My employer is/was buying base spec Hyundai i30s for just under 9k and base spec pug 308s for just over 9k. Retail prices will be well above that.

Last edited:

dodgy

Vanity, keeping up with their FB friends, too much money & not enough sense, keeping up appearances shall I continue?

You seem to have this habit (this is not the first thread you've done it) of framing everyone else's possessions against your income.
It doesn't make sense. Some people have more money than you, they buy things you can't afford, but when expressed as a percentage of their income, it might be the same that you would spend on <insert item name>.

screenman

Legendary Member
You seem to have this habit (this is not the first thread you've done it) of framing everyone else's possessions against your income.
It doesn't make sense. Some people have more money than you, they buy things you can't afford, but when expressed as a percentage of their income, it might be the same that you would spend on <insert item name>.

It might be a lot less, I have a retired pal with £25,000pa disposable, for those that may not know that is the bit left when everything else is paid for, in their case two Sandals holidays a year is included in non disposable, after all how could they do without a holiday.

D

Deleted member 26715

I do, you're right, but you don't know what that is, yes it does, true, possibly true, possibly again you have no idea.

screenman

Legendary Member
It is difficult to know how you would spend if you had £500 a week disposable, if you have never had it. Bit like winning the lottery. we can guess what we would do with the money but that is all it is a guess.

Vanity, keeping up with their FB friends, too much money & not enough sense, keeping up appearances shall I continue?
🤔 I dont do Facebook, twitter or the like.
I would like to think I have a decent amount of sense. I work very hard, sacrifice a lot, save for my children's future and education as well as enjoying my life.
I save and buy everything, no credit or finance now but have suffered multiple redundancies in the past and remember stood at a supermarket check out with a full trolley of food, a heavily pregnant wife and my boss had failed to pay me.... so I walked out unable to pay, embarrassed and ashamed.
I dont know my neighbours or care what car they drive. I dont care if they care what I drive.
But I did save hard and buy my wife a new (6 month old) car because I promised I would one day and I said I would.
So I disagree with your comments.

dodgy

I do, you're right, but you don't know what that is, yes it does, true, possibly true, possibly again you have no idea.
And you also come across as quite angry on here. Maybe you’re bitter about something 🤷‍♂️

D

Deleted member 26715

And you also come across as quite angry on here. Maybe you’re bitter about something 🤷‍♂️
Oh dear somebody seems upset, I am sorry if I have offended you :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

D

Deleted member 26715

🤔 I dont do Facebook, twitter or the like.
I would like to think I have a decent amount of sense. I work very hard, sacrifice a lot, save for my children's future and education as well as enjoying my life.
I save and buy everything, no credit or finance now but have suffered multiple redundancies in the past and remember stood at a supermarket check out with a full trolley of food, a heavily pregnant wife and my boss had failed to pay me.... so I walked out unable to pay, embarrassed and ashamed.
I dont know my neighbours or care what car they drive. I dont care if they care what I drive.
But I did save hard and buy my wife a new (6 month old) car because I promised I would one day and I said I would.
So I disagree with your comments.
But it appears you are disagreeing with something you haven't read, I never said anything about new or 6 month old cars it was PCP I said was for mugs.

But it appears you are disagreeing with something you haven't read, I never said anything about new or 6 month old cars it was PCP I said was for mugs.

Your opinion is people who choose to spend money on what they like are mugs or have no sense. I begged to differ. Some work hard and would rather spend it on a car monthly, some a bike, some holidays. Doesn't make them a mug.

Top Bottom