Chris Boardman has sold the car

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dodgy

Mmmm, No! :laugh:

Understandable, even on these boards. Usually (in fact today) I would be driving to Samoens in the french alps for a 2 week holiday, we could fly, but the drive is more of an adventure. But it doesn't make sense to run a car just for a drive to the alps once a year. I've looked at renting which is surprisingly not that expensive.

Tom B

Guru
haha :tongue:
Back on topic, has Boardman inspired anyone else to go car free?

I'll be watching how he gets on.

D

Deleted member 26715

Classic denialist post. You almost had me for a moment, 5 laughing emojis! You must be having a great time!
Beans on toast for dinner, again?
:laugh:
No I had that for lunch & hang the expense I put an egg on top as well

D

Deleted member 26715

Your opinion is people who choose to spend money on what they like are mugs or have no sense. I begged to differ. Some work hard and would rather spend it on a car monthly, some a bike, some holidays. Doesn't make them a mug.
Well if you can't read there's nothing I can do about it, ah

gzoom

Über Member
Think he does have his wife's car to fall back on....

He hasn't even gone 'car free' just not taking it to work. I was surprised to learn he didn't commute to work anyways.

Drago

Legendary Member
For some it is good value, if not why would so many go for it.
It's terrible value. If you rented a car from Enterprise, and they asked you to pay to service it, or fit new tyres or brakes, you'd do your absolute nut at them, yet that's exactly what PCP does. How on Earth is that good value?

It also allows people to over extend themselves financially into vehicles they could otherwise never afford to own, and in this case they still don't own them - now with mass unemployment looming and so much of the car industry leveraged against unsustainable credit practices, the industry is about to do its own knees and also damage the economy while they're at it. It doubtless seemed like a great jolly when the sun was shining, but now it isn't the entire economy gets to suffer for the greed of the industry and buyers alike. Thanks. Not.

screenman

Legendary Member
It's terrible value. If you rented a car from Enterprise, and they asked you to pay to service it, or fit new tyres or brakes, you'd do your absolute nut at them, yet that's exactly what PCP does. How on Earth is that good value?

It also allows people to over extend themselves financially into vehicles they could otherwise never afford to own, and in this case they still don't own them - now with mass unemployment looming and so much of the car industry leveraged against unsustainable credit practices, the industry is about to do its own knees and also damage the economy while they're at it. It doubtless seemed like a great jolly when the sun was shining, but now it isn't the entire economy gets to suffer for the greed of the industry and buyers alike. Thanks. Not.

I said for some, the forces guys love them, not for me though. It gets people into something they want rather than waiting for it, you takes your choice if you include a service contract into some deals or not. The industry was shaky before this shutdown, have a look at Pendragon last year massive losses, I was seeing empty workshops by midday in a lot of dealers, the nail in that one was the stretching out of service intervals cutting times on jobs as well. I know there are dodgy guys in the motor trade same as you know there are some in your old trade, but not everyone needs tarring with the same brush. Business overheads are massive in the motor trade, a small family owned main agent will cost about £50,000 a month to open up, we the customers have to pay for that it is not the fault of the dealers that insurance is £35,000 a year and rates £40,000 a year Autotrader £2,000 a month and the list goes on.

Brooks

I've been car free for over 5 years now, not by choice but by circumstances. At first I didn't think I'd be able to cope, but of course you just adapt. Been riding my cheap bike for my transport needs mostly, and there's public transport for the rest. I qualify for my oyster pass at the end of the year so I don't think I'll be needing a car again fingers crossed 😀

Faratid

Volvo XC90 2.4 D5 185 R Design SE:

Insurance - 205
Tax - 325
Fuel - 35 every 2nd month, so 210 a year
Do my own maintenance, so let's say 100 in parts, and that's generous, it's probably nearer 50 or 60 sheets.

Total = 835 a year.

OK, ever 3 or 4 years there'll be bigger ticket spends like tyres etc, but i own it outright so there are no repayments to make. I can genuinely say my running costs in the typical year are more or less what Boardman was somehow spending a month.

But nice to see him back riding on the road again.

Good for you. And congratulations on choosing a vehicle that produces 219g/Km of CO2.

Landsurfer

Veteran
Not wishing to sound unhelpful ... but when CB says he has given up his car ... HIS car ..... i take it he has use of his wifes / partners / significant other's car?
I've not owned a car for 20 years, but , I've never been without the use of one.
I've not read any of the press articles on this subject so i may be off the beam here ..

Top Bottom