Claud Butler Sierra

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
And the stripping begins.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Rear mech stripped and the bits lobbed into a bath of paraffin. Will finish cleaning and reassemble on the morrow. Its quite a nice Suntour Vx and I'm glad its in good order as a modern Shimano job wouldn't look right on the bike.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
OK, most original parts will remain. However, the handlebar foam is dry and disintegrating, so fit tape. Shame, because the foam was original and otherwise not torn or owt.

I'll also be replacing the Weimann levels for some aero jobs. They feel far too small and dainty in my hands. I'll keep them though, so I could revert to original if needs be.

Pedals will be replaced with SPDs.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Today ill continue stripping the bike down to its constituent parts.

Rusty chrome will be going in a bath of Oxalic Acid.

Wheels are lovely and in great condition but are filthy, so they'll be stripped, bearings cleaned and lubes, and the whole lot cleaned and polished.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Bike totally stripped.

Rear mech stripped, cleaned, rebuilt.

Front mech cleaned.

Bottom bracket cleaned and inspected.

Gear oil dribbled into the freewheel, which has freed up nicely.

Wheels stripped and cleaned tomorrow, brakes Tuesday, by which time the stuff I need to clean and de rust the frame should have arrived.

IMG_20170402_133805.jpg

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
I don't have a dishwasher

You don't know what you're missing. They make excellent parts washers ;)

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
That looks like a tidy example, although its missing guards and rack. Looks like it'll fetch a good price too, which makes me all the more grateful to Stonechat.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Handlebars cleaned and closely inspected. All good.

Stem cleaned, rubbed down with 1000 grit wet and dry ready for polishing. The stem has an 86 date code, so would seem to be a later addition fitted by the previous owner.

Speaking of which, inside the handlebars I found a rolled up piece of card with the previous owners name and address on, which had previously been there for 36 years. I feel almost like an archaeologist.

Last edited:

woodbutcher

Veteran
Handlebars cleaned and closely inspected. All good.

Stem cleaned, rubbed down with 1000 grit wet and dry ready for polishing. The stem has an 86 date code, so would seem to be a later addition fitted by the previous owner.

Speaking of which, inside the handlebars I found a rolled up piece of card with the previous owners name and address on, which had previously been there for 36 years. I feel almost like an archaeologist.
I think thats great...why not carry on the tradition and replace the old card and add one of your own ?

Top Bottom