Claud Butler Sierra

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

woodbutcher

Veteran
Looking forward to some pics. All my bike metal cleaning is now done with spray oven cleaner. Left in a box or bag overnight. Works a treat. Would be worried ordering oxalic acid, imagine anti terrorism squad flying through the door as I'm trying to get the kids to bed!
I haven't made many comments but if you get the occasional feeling that someone is looking over your shoulder..its me seeing how its done, and the latest tip is the oven cleaner. Bit of a shame l didn't see this before l knocked over a large container of very dirty industrial alcohol....such an improvement to my workshops wooden floor:excl:

hhmph, a restoration thread without pics, we'll have you in front of the committee if you don't buck up

woodbutcher

Veteran
Drago dont stress, just consider my problem this morning.....my partner is Scandinavian , she is away working in Germany , l am using her Japanese manuf. car which was bought in Sweden. On the way to check on HER horses this morning a warning light came on. Being a considerate sort of bloke l stopped, got out the handbook to see what the problem was. The bloody book is in Scandiweegian and apparently the problem in one word is described as ruiskutusjarjestelmassa . If l had plenty of hair l would pull it out :evil:

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Bearings lovingly greased and reassembled, refitting of components has begun. Note unused Tektro aero levers, for some reason had two sets in my Box O' Crap.

IMG_20170408_133327.jpg

IMG_20170408_133351.jpg

Not much longer then I'll be at a halt until pension day, when new tyres, choobs, cables, bar tape and brake blocks will be ordered to finish the project.

@Stonechat so he can see the old feller progressing.

The old boy (the bike, not Stonechat ;) ) reminds me of a geography teacher. Ageing, but full of interest, so I will be calling him a typical geography teachers name. Henceforth, the bike shall be known as Colin

Last edited:

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
The old boy (the bike, not Stonechat ;) ) reminds me of a geography teacher. Ageing, but full of interest, so I will be calling him a typical geography teachers name. Henceforth, the bike shall be known as Colin

Colin the Claud is looking good , do you want to borrow my workstand matey ?

Should be a sweet ride

U

User32269

Looking good. It's a nice feeling, that first ride out knowing everything is freshly lubed and tightened up. Gonna be a nice bike.

woodbutcher

Veteran
Bearings lovingly greased and reassembled, refitting of components has begun. Note unused Tektro aero levers, for some reason had two sets in my Box O' Crap.

View attachment 346245
View attachment 346246

Not much longer then I'll be at a halt until pension day, when new tyres, choobs, cables, bar tape and brake blocks will be ordered to finish the project.

@Stonechat so he can see the old feller progressing.

'Eere, you are way ahead of me, just goes to show less chat and more graft make velocipede a done job. :cuppa:

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Had a serious clear out of my Box O' Crap and found an unused Lucas 'King of the Road' odometer. A wipe of the grease shows a 1954 date code. It looks nice, a metal bodied item, notnthr plastic job from kater examples, so will go in the bike.

Tucked inside the box was a card from 'Bedfordshire and Luton Police' waring about cycle theft. They became Bedfordshire Police in 1974, so the card is at least 43 years old, perhaps as old as the odometer, 63 years old. I don't remember ever seeing it, so it could've been lurking in the box nexppt to the Japanese soldiers from WWII for decades.

The card contains dire warnings about what'll happen if you dont lock up your bike. "Carelessness causes crime" is the wonderful strapline. Today the bleeding hearts would moan that such a statement is victim blaming, but I guess its true - if everyone locked everything up as they should, we wouldn't have thieves.

Anyway, and interesting diversion down memory lane.[p

IMG_20170408_184743.jpg

IMG_20170408_184811.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom