Claud Butler Sierra

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

woodbutcher

Veteran
Not a bad idea.

Within the next few days I'll be done. Tyres, choobs, cables, brake blocks, chain, and bar tape will have to wait til pension day on the 20th. Aiming to have my first ride before May strikes.
Pension day is one of the highlights of each month, as in what can l buy this month ??:bicycle:

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Saddle cleaned and treated with Proofide. Its battered, bit still use able. I'm not entirely convinced that its a genuine Brooks, despite the embossing on the flanks of the leather, which is still just visible
IMG_20170404_182638.jpg

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Brake calipers cleaned. A good dose of paraffin through the parts washer and they look like new. The advantage of the oily crud that was smeared over much of the bike is that many components have been beautifully preserved.

The downside is they're Weimann 610s, so not the worlds best stoppers. I'll fit some modern brake blocks to try and maximise what little they can offer. I can recall in the 70's that the 610 centrepulls were regarded as a cut above the normal sidepulls of the day, and having them on your steed marked you as a man of style and quality. My, we were easily pleased back then!

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
I'm waiting until pension day before ordering then tyres and chain, so probably around the 26/27th April. Aim is to have it on the road and dialled in before the end of the month

I am enjoying the build, but I'm also impatient to get it sorted.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
The downside is they're Weimann 610s, so not the worlds best stoppers. I'll fit some modern brake blocks to try and maximise what little they can offer. I can recall in the 70's that the 610 centrepulls were regarded as a cut above the normal sidepulls of the day, and having them on your steed marked you as a man of style and quality. My, we were easily pleased back then!
Its true, centrepulls if fitted with some good blocks take a lot of beating even by today's standards.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Chrome parts fished out of the oxalic acid, rinsed and wiped. Shiny shiny, pany parts like new.

A couple of really bad fasteners were attacked on the bench drill with wire cup brush attachment.

Have stopped for lunch, will polish my rim (fnarr) after siesta.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Frame soaking overnight in oxalic acid. Tomorrow will be rinse, dry, T cut, wax, inject Duck Oil in to the frame tubes, then its turnaround point where I can start bolting bits back together.

Pics tomorrow, I promise ;)

U

User32269

Chrome parts fished out of the oxalic acid, rinsed and wiped. Shiny shiny, pany parts like new.

A couple of really bad fasteners were attacked on the bench drill with wire cup brush attachment.

Have stopped for lunch, will polish my rim (fnarr) after siesta.
Looking forward to some pics. All my bike metal cleaning is now done with spray oven cleaner. Left in a box or bag overnight. Works a treat. Would be worried ordering oxalic acid, imagine anti terrorism squad flying through the door as I'm trying to get the kids to bed!

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
I was mildly surprised it was sent via the Royal Mail in a jiffy bag, but as far as acids go its pretty mild. I don't understand the chemical witchcraft, but it somehow latches on to rust and does it's business yet leaves paint, decals etc completely unharmed.

For small spots Barkeepers Friend is a powder with OA in its kngredients. Rub it on like Cif (Jif to is old timers) and the effect is magical.

Top Bottom