Claustrophobia has got the better of me

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I went camping recently using the gelert solo. I've realised now that it's going to take a lot to get used to it. I knew the headroom was low but didn't quite realise just how confined I would feel within it.

Thus I'm in search of an alternative. I camped for two days and after a very bad nights sleep in the gelert (where I actually thought someone might not see it and step on it lol), I bought a single skin £10 two man tent from somerfield. Unsuitible for cycling perhaps, the extra space meant my claustrophobia abated and I was able to have a good nights sleep, although I was not sure whether this was partly due to alcohol.

So I'm looking for a cheap, lightweight and spacious tent, if there is such a thing?

I think the one I bought from somerfield is only 2kg or at least a similar one from wilkinsons is that light. Although I wouldn't take it cycle touring due to its size I am somewhat surprised such a large tent is so light.

edit: Just noticed the pro action one man tent from argos is half price again. http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/3400779/Trail/searchtext>CAMPING.htm

Maybe the solution is to camping near somerfield stores lol.

OP
OP
Riverman

Riverman

Guru
I imagine there are a lot of lightweight tents. I just don't think there can be many lightweight tents that are also cheap and of a large size.

I've thought about getting the QUECHUA T2 Ultralight Pro but even that looks too small. I need something that's around the size of a two man dome tent.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
TBH, if you want a lightweight spacious tent your looking at state of the art and you probably aren't going to get cheap thrown in. You're going to have to compromise on one of your parameters or dig deeper into your savings!

OP
OP
Riverman

Riverman

Guru
I guess I could stretch to 2.5kilos as the argos 1 man tent I mentioned is 2.3kg and many people use that for touring. The trouble with a lot of these two man tents is the packs are too long although I guess I could hang the tent off the stem.

Isla Valassi

Veteran
Remember don't just look at how much the tent weighs, but look at the waterproof qualities as well. My minimum spec. in that department is 3000mm hydrostatic head. A tent that has a porch is always a welcome addition for dumping your stuff in. Have a look at the Vango Tempest 200. You can pick one up for around £85.
http://www.vango.co.uk/products/tentsinfo.aspx?productid=29&modelid=23&id=19

I can pack all my camping gear in one pannier bag simply by having all the 'soft foldables' in compression sacks, so there's no excuse for having things hanging off anywhere!

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Riverman said:
I guess I could stretch to 2.5kilos as the argos 1 man tent I mentioned is 2.3kg and many people use that for touring. The trouble with a lot of these two man tents is the packs are too long although I guess I could hang the tent off the stem.

You might well find the Argos one man tent claustrophobic too. It is very compact and there's not a lot of spare space inside it.

If you want, as you said, something with the space of a two man dome tent then the Argos tent is not for you.

OP
OP
Riverman

Riverman

Guru
I dunno why but I think a porch is likely to make me even more claustrophobic. It's a case of too much between me and the exit that I think can freak me out a little.

Thanks for the advice anyway.

For those who may be wondering what's the big deal with all this claustrophobia business.

Claustrophobia (from Latin claustrum "a shut in place") is the fear of having no escape, and being closed in. Claustrophobia is often confussed with Clithrophobia, which is the fear of being in an enclosed space. It is typically classified as an anxiety disorder and often results in panic attack. One study indicates that anywhere from 2-5% of the world population is affected by severe claustrophobia, but only a small percentage of these people receive some kind of treatment for the disorder.[1]Claustrophobia is typically thought to have two key symptoms fear of restriction and fear of suffocation. A typical claustrophobic will fear restriction in at least one, if not several, of the following areas small rooms, locked rooms, tunnels, cellars, elevators, subway trains, caves, and crowded areas.

Additionally, the fear of restriction can cause some claustrophobics to fear trivial matters such as sitting in a barber’s chair or waiting in line at a grocery store simply out of a fear of confinement to a single space. However, claustrophobics are not necessarily afraid of these areas themselves, but, rather, they fear what could happen to them should they become confined to said area. Often, when confined to an area, claustrophobics begin to fear suffocation, believing that there may be a lack of air in the area to which they are confined. Any combination of the above symptoms can lead to severe panic attacks. However, most claustrophobics do everything in their power to avoid these situations.[2]

This method was developed in 1979 by interpreting the files of patients diagnosed with claustrophobia and by reading various scientific articles about the diagnosis of the disorder. Once an initial scale was developed, it was tested and sharpened by several experts in the field. Today, it consists of 20 questions that determine anxiety levels and desire to avoid certain situations. Several studies have proved this scale to be effective in claustrophobia diagnosis.[3]

This method was developed by Rachman and Taylor, two experts in the field, in 1993. This method is effective in distinguishing symptoms stemming from fear of suffocation and fear of restriction. In 2001, it was modified from 36 to 24 items by another group of field experts. This study has also been proved very effective by various studies.[4]

OP
OP
Riverman

Riverman

Guru
Not sure much can be done on that front really other than perhaps taking some tranquilisers. It's not that bad, I mean I did manage to survive a night in the gelert solo although I got bugger all sleep.

I started off okish but then developed a trapped feeling that was worse when I closed my eyes. A couple of times I almost drifted off to sleep only to wake myself back up in a panic. I think I didn't like the idea of waking up in the tent, and that once asleep I'd lose control of the situation.

I've thought about carrying a penknife lol to reassure me that, were I to get stuck in the tent, or someone were to try and trap me in it, I would be able to cut myself out. This may seem like a crazy idea to many of you.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Riverman said:
Not sure much can be done on that front really other than perhaps taking some tranquilisers. It's not that bad, I mean I did manage to survive a night in the gelert solo although I got bugger all sleep.

I started off okish but then developed a trapped feeling that was worse when I closed my eyes. A couple of times I almost drifted off to sleep only to wake myself back up in a panic. I think I didn't like the idea of waking up in the tent, and that once asleep I'd lose control of the situation.

I've thought about carrying a penknife lol to reassure me that, were I to get stuck in the tent, or someone were to try and trap me in it, I would be able to cut myself out. This may seem like a crazy idea to many of you.

Doesn't look like camping's for you :biggrin:

jags

Guru
riverman could it be you need some home comforts in the tent with you ,like what's your sleeping arrangement's,have you got a good sleeping mat like exped down 7 a really good sleeping bag and maybe the most important item a excellent pillow even if it means bringing your own,the one you use at home.
what about one of those T P tent's,loads of head room in them i would have thought.
anyway don't give up the ghost just yet ,i know how you feel belive me, this camping thing is not as easy as all these experts make out,it takes time and patience give yourself a chance ,i hope all works out for you best of luck.

I think you need to take it easy. Camping is safe, and it's supposed to be fun. People are always nice to me when I go bike touring.

I suggest you just have the tent up in the garden on a nice night, somewhere you feel safe, and spend a night out under stars. Keep the door open, look at the lovely night sky, and go back inside if you feel uncomfortable. When you're relaxed in the tent in the garden, try a nice campsite.

But do stick with it, camping is one of the best experiences you can have, ever.

snorri

Legendary Member
Perhaps you could buy a small radio with earphones and listen to some music to take your mind off things as you drift off to sleep?

I usually fall asleep faster in a tent than in my own bed at home, I put this down to the increased physical activity during the day.;)

Top Bottom