Cleaning...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
stuarttunstall

stuarttunstall

I am one that always likes a clean car, and use the best products on both of them and I always find it satisfying when I have done it..... Well, I went out and purchased the Muc-Off 8 in 1 kit yesterday (along with a track pump) and just cleaned the dust of my new Bike after 3 weeks... The Muc-Off bike cleaner seems pretty good and along with the hose pipe has cleaned it up nice... then a spray with Muc-Off Bike protect spray over the frame and the gear set.... as I use it only in the dry a lubrication of the chain with dry lube.....

Now... I also find cleaning my bike VERY satisfying as well :smile:

Last edited:
Reactions: C R

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I am one that always likes a clean car, and use the best products on both of them and I always find it satisfying when I have done it..... Well, I went out and purchased the Muc-Off 8 in 1 kit yesterday (along with a track pump) and just cleaned the dust of my new Bike after 3 weeks... The Muc-Off bike cleaner seems pretty good and along with the hose pipe has cleaned it up nice... then a spray with Muc-Off Bike protect spray over the frame and the gear set.... as I use it only in the dry a lubrication of the chain with dry lube.....

I reckon your best purchase was the track pump.

Not that you will go wrong using Muc-Off products, they are all decent, but when your stock is exhausted you will get just as good results with car shampoo, a rag, and possibly slightly more elbow grease.

OP
OP
stuarttunstall

stuarttunstall

I also purchased the kit for the brush set which will come in useful :smile: but it does seem good stuff and it was on offer at £4.99 a bottle in Halfords ( £9.99 in Evans) the kit was £27

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike-maintenance/bike-cleaning/muc-off-8-in-1-bike-cleaning-kit

Agree about the track pump, when I had my puncture it took a while to inflate with the small pump I purchased, OK for on the road use if needed :smile:

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike-maintenance/bike-pumps/topeak-joe-blow-sport-iii-bike-pump

JhnBssll

Veteran
I've got the muc-off brushes but use Rhino Goo concentrate cleaning solution. Got some diluted in a spray bottle and use it neat in the chain cleaner. Works a treat :becool:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I also purchased the kit for the brush set which will come in useful :smile:

Wot, there's more?

It's a good thing you like cleaning the bike because it pays off in several respects.

A clean bike also tends to be a more reliable bike - brakes, cables, gears etc work better when they are not gummed up.

Regular cleaning also means you will spot maintenance items - loose spokes/cranks/pedals, tyre cuts, frayed cables etc - in good time before they let you down on the road.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I am one that always likes a clean car, and use the best products on both of them and I always find it satisfying when I have done it.....

I wish I shared your enthusiasm for cleaning vehicles. My "good" car was last washed about 3 months ago. The tatty old thing I also own may have been washed around 2014 or so. Same goes for bikes. Old skip bike doesn't generally get washed at all, although I do run a scrap rag/old holey sock over the chain to get the crap off and give it a drop of engine oil every so often. I have given the Pioneer a quick clean though, probably a month ago. I might clean it again at the end of this month if I'm feeling conscientious. Then again I might not. Depends if it gets dirty enough to worry about. My normal technique for getting bikes past anti-motorcycle barriers is to grab the seat tube and heave the bike up to head height one handed and walk through the "gate" with it airborne. So long as my hand doesn't get filthy doing this, the bike is still clean enough! .
I regard washing vehicles as a waste of good beer drinking time....

BorderReiver

Veteran
I know baby wipes are a scurge on the planet and are responsible for the deaths of hundreds of polar bears (or something) but as a flat dweller who has to carry buckets of water down two flights of stairs and doesn't have access to an outdoor water supply they are my "go to" option. If the bike is really filthy then MucOff and water are more effective but not much more.

Another fan of car shampoo, I reserve the right to use pink muc-off spray for the rims, the drive side chainstay and seat tube/post which take the brunt of the chain oil and road grunge. It's wasteful to use it all over though. Fun side note, it's also ideal for cleaning car wheel alloys.

Last edited:
Top Bottom