Cleat position revelation

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
Ever conscious not to get too set in my ways, I sometimes have a shake-up when I feel I’m getting ponderous or complacent.
Sure that my bike fits me, and I have all the parts just so, I was cleaning and tightening the cleats on my shoes, ready for a quick spin this afternoon. They’re Sidi carbon jobs, so offer plenty of fore and aft adjustment. For some reason I took the cleats off, had a clean, and stuck them back on as far back as they would go. Maybe half an inch further back....
The logic seemed to be to let the saddle back half an inch too, so I did.
A few turns round the yard, out onto the main road and a wobble down a quiet county lane. The Allen keys are in a pocket, I’m so sure I’ll be needing them within the mile.
Ten miles further on I lowered the seat a touch. Ten steady miles more to check I had no knee niggles. Ten miles with the hammer down, really enjoying what felt like five or so percent more leg power. Only went out to the post office, and found myself an hour from home....
I’ve had a quick reverse search on the web and found some interesting info on Steve Hogg’s site, which kicks KOPS into touch.
I hesitate to write there’s a moral to the story, except to point out that when you’re sure you’ve got optimum, maybe you haven’t. My wife is looking at me a bit funny, and the dog’s slunk off to his basket.

Slick

Guru
Ever conscious not to get too set in my ways, I sometimes have a shake-up when I feel I’m getting ponderous or complacent.
Sure that my bike fits me, and I have all the parts just so, I was cleaning and tightening the cleats on my shoes, ready for a quick spin this afternoon. They’re Sidi carbon jobs, so offer plenty of fore and aft adjustment. For some reason I took the cleats off, had a clean, and stuck them back on as far back as they would go. Maybe half an inch further back....
The logic seemed to be to let the saddle back half an inch too, so I did.
A few turns round the yard, out onto the main road and a wobble down a quiet county lane. The Allen keys are in a pocket, I’m so sure I’ll be needing them within the mile.
Ten miles further on I lowered the seat a touch. Ten steady miles more to check I had no knee niggles. Ten miles with the hammer down, really enjoying what felt like five or so percent more leg power. Only went out to the post office, and found myself an hour from home....
I’ve had a quick reverse search on the web and found some interesting info on Steve Hogg’s site, which kicks KOPS into touch.
I hesitate to write there’s a moral to the story, except to point out that when you’re sure you’ve got optimum, maybe you haven’t. My wife is looking at me a bit funny, and the dog’s slunk off to his basket.
They just dont get you anymore.

bpsmith

Veteran
I am forever tweaking, often for no other reason than sheer intrigue.

I like trying stuff the complete extreme opposite of what it’s like now in order to see if there are any effects on riding. This has allowed me to confirm that my setup is good in many examples, but sometimes there’s a revelation like you just had.

Fonze

Totally obsessive , cool by nature
I changed from yellow,to blue and much prefer it ..
I adjust mine seemingly each time I ride just see what difference it does make ..

bpsmith

Veteran
I did the same but now back to yellow. No other reason than an unrelated issue was causing me knee pain and the yellow helped while recuperating. I also had a spare set to use as the blue had worn out. Prefer the blue though.

My cleat position revelation was adjusting them to the position of a shed drawer. Turns out it makes no difference to average speed and now I can walk about easier and wear what shoes I like.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Yes I also tweaked my cleat position a couple of years ago and noticed that I felt faster. Maybe it was just psychological but who knows?

bpsmith

Veteran
I am faster, measured and perceived, when my cleats are further forward and hence feet further back. I found that I was getting cramp in the calves from using them more than upper legs. Strangely enough, this fit is more popular with Sprinters, who are obviously faster but only really need to be faster for short bursts.

I now have my cleats as far forward as possible, without getting to the point of getting cramp on longer rides. It’s a compromise that works for me.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Randomnerd

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
I’m a bimbler rather than out-and-out roadie, so I’m looking for comfort for all-day rides with very little sprinting. I use Look m.t.b. pedals, so there’s a lot of float.
The actual increase in speed may be wholly psychological for me, but the more forward foot seemed also to make the drops more comfortable for longer (and the home leg yesterday was into a 15kph gusty headwind).
Whatever works for the individual, I suppose.
I’m conscious not to over-fiddle though: I’d rather be just comfy enough and get on with riding than be forever tweaking.

Top Bottom