Clinchers win World ITT

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tigger

Über Member
Interesting (if you're that way inclined) newsletter from HED today. I have their Ardennes wheelset as my allround wheel and must say the wider rim is a much better, more comfortable, better cornering and faster ride...

German Powerhouse Takes Victory on Clinchers!

On Wednesday 21st September 2011 Tony Martin powered to his first Time Trial World title around a testing 46.4km circuit in Copenhagen, Denmark.

Despite his convincing 1'15" winning margin over Britain's Bradley Wiggins the other incredible fact was that he was riding a clincher wheel and tyre combination rather that the usual tubular tyre set up.

The intriguing fact that has arisen from Tony Martin's ride is that it is the first ever World Championship Time Trial to have been won on a clincher wheel/tyre combination - the previous 17 editions have all been won aboard tubular tyres.

The only way that this has been made possible is through superior wheel innovation and design. A wider rim and tyre bed on Martin's wheelset allows the clincher tyre to "sit" in a superior fashion with less sidewall deformation. This allows for massively decreased rolling resistance, superior tyre to rim aerodynamics and increased cornering grip.

These benefits, when added to the most advanced, aerodynamic rim profiles available anywhere result in the fastest wheelset in the World.

hr.gif

http://HED Jet 9 Wheelset
Jet9370px.105933.jpg

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
wow!

Am I right in thinking they're quite heavy, and more suited to the flat?

OP
OP
tigger

tigger

Über Member
wow!

Am I right in thinking they're quite heavy, and more suited to the flat?

Those Jet 9s are but Ardennes are pretty light. If you've got deep pockets then Scorpios look awesome or Jet 4s. They also offer most of their wheels in a stallion build for over 90kg riders. oh and they do a hire scheme too but looks pricey to me.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Those Jet 9s are but Ardennes are pretty light. If you've got deep pockets then Scorpios look awesome or Jet 4s. They also offer most of their wheels in a stallion build for over 90kg riders. oh and they do a hire scheme too but looks pricey to me.

Oh, now that really is superb, they've called the fat bastard option the 'stallion' build...marketing at its finest I say :biggrin:

Jezston

Über Member
You know I'm not usually that keen on wheels with big logos emblazened on them, but those wheels look amazing.

OP
OP
tigger

tigger

Über Member
Oh, now that really is superb, they've called the fat bastard option the 'stallion' build...marketing at its finest I say :biggrin:

Yeah you gotta like that! Has a better ring than Clydesdale. Although, if you choose the Ardennes CL (as I did), they already come in the strong build, so you can be a stallion in denial :biggrin:

OP
OP
tigger

tigger

Über Member
Interesting thread. I was reading about those new wide rims last week here
http://www.cyclingne...-wider-for-2012

I know around 5 or 6 years ago, the mix of tyres/tubs in the pro peloton was about 50/50 - does anyone know if that still stands?

Good link Raindog. Hmmm... disc brakes for road bikes... yes please! I've just bought my first MTB and must say I'm very impressed with the superior stopping power and nice progressive feel, it gives you so much more confidence downhill and in the wet. Good to see this developing for cyclocross which will pass on for road use, but my guess is we may see the UCI make it legal for road too within a few years?? Down side is we'll all need new frames and forks!!

No idea about tubs v clinchers in the peloton, always thought it was nearly all tubs?

OP
OP
tigger

tigger

Über Member
Also re: the wider rim thing, I understand a lot of 25mm tyres are being used now too in the peloton and for time trials.

Its worth noting the HED stinger 4 specs below, as used by Froome and Wiggins on the Vuelta climbs - very wide, light and aero for the way back down!

Wide rims are the way forward for sure!!

TUBULARWEIGHT FRONT560gWEIGHT REAR720gWEIGHT PAIR1280gRIM WIDTH26mmRIM DEPTH46mm

Also re: the wider rim thing, I understand a lot of 25mm tyres are being used now too in the peloton and for time trials.

Its worth noting the HED stinger 4 specs below, as used by Froome and Wiggins on the Vuelta climbs - very wide, light and aero for the way back down!

Wide rims are the way forward for sure!!

TUBULARWEIGHT FRONT560gWEIGHT REAR720gWEIGHT PAIR1280gRIM WIDTH26mmRIM DEPTH46mm

I'd be a bit sceptical all round.

The Stingers are designed for 22mm tyres.

Top Bottom