Clipped pedals - Have they made a difference to you...?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyxBennett

Hi all

I appreciate the clipped / unclipped pedals debate has been discussed many many times and with no doubt with a great deal of passion.

However my question is;
Can those who have made the transition from unclipped to clipped 'prove' (eg via gps based data) that there has been a step change to your average speed or climbing ability that can only be associated too and at the point where you made the transition...?

As you can perhaps guess, I'm at the point were I'm thinking about making the change myself (unclipped to clipped) and I've had a few people say it will make a difference, but nobody has been able to quantify their advise.

Andy

Kies

Going clipless gives me more confidence out of the saddle and so I can push harder.
To prove it would mean doing a circuit free of traffic in the same weather conditions with normal and then clipless pedals

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Hi all

I appreciate the clipped / unclipped pedals debate has been discussed many many times and with no doubt with a great deal of passion.

However my question is;
Can those who have made the transition from unclipped to clipped 'prove' (eg via gps based data) that there has been a step change to your average speed or climbing ability that can only be associated too and at the point where you made the transition...?

As you can perhaps guess, I'm at the point were I'm thinking about making the change myself (unclipped to clipped) and I've had a few people say it will make a difference, but nobody has been able to quantify their advise.

Andy
In order to have the burden of proof placed on you, you must have made a claim to begin with. So to your examples.

has been a step change to your average speed
Yes. It's called getting fitter. The method of foot retention is a largely irrelevant distraction.

has been a step change to your average speed or climbing ability
I'm simply not a climber. No shoes will change that.

Take from that what you will.

Ron-da-Valli

It's a bleedin' miracle!
I changed to spd's about 5 months ago, after putting it off for years. I got used to them straight away and like the satisfying " click" as I lock on. They are more comfortable, without the slipping around from clips and straps. I have, however, not noticed any improvent in speed or climbing. As a recent, and perhaps reluctant convert, I can thoroughly recommend the change.

chriss2.0

they are good if you have weak ankles (like me) you can put down more power
(kinda like wrist braces for boxing)
however i believe they are a bit tedious for the start-stop-start in towns,

i find
putting my feet in them is fiddly and u quickly find out that you cant simply put your foot on the floor you have to unclip first, and if ur not used to it
it can cause many comical fallings over:blush:

Born2die

I'm more secure on the bike it's difficult to explain I just feel more a part of the bike plus you can bunny hop potholes easier and I feel I put more power through the bike too IMHO it's worth the switch

Albert

Über Member
I just feel more secure. I got used to them very quickly.
When you change, you will fall off after forgetting to unclip in an unguarded moment. BUT, you will only do it once. :blush:

Hip Priest

Veteran
I like using clipless because they keep my feet secure and in place, but I doubt they make a tangible difference in performance for a cyclist at my level. I use flats on my commuting bike because it's easier for stop / start type of riding.

D

Deleted member 1258

I've used clips and straps for 20-25 years, for the last three years I've had clipless, Time Free Rides, on the best bike and clips and straps on the fixed, I've not seen a difference. For today's ride, 73 miles, I had taken the clipless off the best bike, I'm trying to trace a creak at the moment and wanted to eliminate the cleats as a cause, and fitted the clips and straps, I saw no performance difference.

Top Bottom