Clipped pedals - Have they made a difference to you...?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've only started using clipless pedals on my new bike very recently, but the bike is so different to my old one it's difficult to say if they make a difference as the whole bike has changed. I think they do make a difference if I really focus on pedalling in a smooth circular motion, I can feel the bike gathering pace, but otherwise it's hard to say (so not very helpful really!!)

Linford

I find them useful to pull instead of push when i'm half way up a hill and i want to give my pushing muscles a break, or alternate when totally knackered and want to push and pull at the same time...see a pattern forming here :heat:

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
However my question is;
Can those who have made the transition from unclipped to clipped 'prove' (eg via gps based data) that there has been a step change to your average speed or climbing ability that can only be associated too and at the point where you made the transition...?

Your making the assumption that people changed to clips to improve speed or climbing ability which is not the case for myself. I also do not believe that it provides a gain in this respect which is measurable. It would be better to ask why people use clips and what they feel the advantage of doing so is.
I personally find that my technique is more consistent and my placement on the pedals are better with clips, in effect I believe I am more efficient over longer distances clipped in.

mark st1

Plastic Manc
Your making the assumption that people changed to clips to improve speed or climbing ability which is not the case for myself. I also do not believe that it provides a gain in this respect which is measurable. It would be better to ask why people use clips and what they feel the advantage of doing so is.
I personally find that my technique is more consistent and my placement on the pedals are better with clips, in effect I believe I am more efficient over longer distances clipped in.

I find the opposite lol as you well know I've had no end of trouble with clipless so now changed to flats and loving it no joint pain and feel far less restricted as I can move about to get comfy. I do miss the surety of being clipped in when getting out of the saddle on a climb though but that maybe just a mental thing ? Comfort wise though haven't looked back !

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
When i first bought my one and only pair of clipless peddles 14 years ago the woman who sold and sorted the bike told me that she'd tightened the right foot up more than the left one as it'd be better to use the left for immediate release. She told me to come back to the shop if either wanted tightening or loosening.14 years and 30 odd thousand miles later neither have been adjusted!:thumbsup:

Hi all

I appreciate the clipped / unclipped pedals debate has been discussed many many times and with no doubt with a great deal of passion.

However my question is;
Can those who have made the transition from unclipped to clipped 'prove' (eg via gps based data) that there has been a step change to your average speed or climbing ability that can only be associated too and at the point where you made the transition...?

As you can perhaps guess, I'm at the point were I'm thinking about making the change myself (unclipped to clipped) and I've had a few people say it will make a difference, but nobody has been able to quantify their advise.

Andy
The main difference for me was comfort - with properly fitted & adjusted cleats & good quality shoes, my feet pronate less and my knees and hips hurt significantly less. If I hadn't made the switch, rides over 20 miles in length would be impossible for me.

What he says. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
A

AndyxBennett

Thank you for all your responses and points of view, and all of which have made for interesting reading - just to clarify though; In my view it was a specifically worded question without any assumptions, merely asking if those who had made the change had noticed an increase in their speed or climbing abilities, not whether they had done it for a specific reason.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Thank you for all your responses and points of view, and all of which have made for interesting reading - just to clarify though; In my view it was a specifically worded question without any assumptions, merely asking if those who had made the change had noticed an increase in their speed or climbing abilities, not whether they had done it for a specific reason.
Actually. You requested GPS data to prove there was a difference. You loaded the question and tried to shift the burden of proof.

Didn't work :smile:

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
In the most part, I do think the average cyclists only gain's one thing, a secure foot-pedal connection.

For someone who indulges in certain disciplines (i.e. not the average cyclist, but someone who competes in a number of disciplines), I firmly believe that having your feet attached to the pedals offers a performance benefit through the ABILITY (it doesn't just happen, you have to consciously do it!) to pull up especially when out of the saddle. I know I pull up, and hard when ascending short steep hills in hill climb competitions.

Last edited:

buggi

Bird Saviour
I have recently gone from clipped to unclipped (or should I say clipless to flat pedals… I bought an MTB with flat pedals) and can say that the first thing I noticed was my feet kept slipping off the pedals because I was trying to “pull up” and thus there was no tension between my foot at the pedal. It has taken weeks for me to correct this behaviour everytime I go on the MTB. My brain has now sussed to the two different bikes and my feet no longer slip on the flat pedals. So for this reason I can confirm that, yes, you have a more efficient pedalling style when your feet are stuck to your pedals and I do believe that, even taking into account the heavier bike and thicker tyres, you are slower on flat pedals because you can’t pull up.

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
I used toe clips and straps for years and loved the feeling of security. I don't know if, now, being clipless is improving my speeds but I do think that being attached in some way means I can pedal through 360 degrees. On hills I feel I can give that little bit more, pedal all the way round, and see my speed increase.
Having had years of clips and straps meant I have got used to having to plan to release before stopping. Having to lean down and pull the strap clip takes more planning than twisting my ankle a little.

Top Bottom