Clipped pedals - Have they made a difference to you...?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
As usual in these threads I'm one of the voices of clipless opposition, or rather I would say that you don't need them unless you're trying to compete at the top. There is of course the famous shoes ruse article:-

http://www.rivbike.com/kb_results.asp?ID=45

Personally I feel a lot of the foot slippage issues people have are their shoe/pedal choices. With a decent pinned pedal BMX style almost any footwear stays put. If you wear something with a sticky sole like the 5/10 range then it's actually quite hard to move your foot around. I completed several long rides on flats and 5/10's with the longest being 167 miles. I also commuted 40 miles daily for a while and had no issues, except when I tried clipless. I got 'hot foot' and also fell off and I saw no overall performance gain. It was definitely more powerful on a short sharp out of the saddle climb but not enough to outweigh the downsides for me.

The final point I would make is that you're still a cyclist whatever shoe/pedal system you choose.

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
If what you've got is working well for you, seems little point in changing it.

I've gone clipless (MTB clips and Mavic MTB shoes because I need to be able to walk around a bit) on the Synapse and while I'm perfectly happy with the decision I'm not missing the set up at all when I go back to the Sirrus which is DMR's and an old pair of trainers. My feet stick to the DMR's perfectly well, sufficiently to pull the pedal back up the stroke when sat at lights, and I'm happy with the pedal action.

Depends how much you think you're missing I guess, it's not a small investment as a whim.

I went clipless and would never go back even though I have fallen a couple of times because I couldn't get my clip out quick enough. Only the pride was dented and bruised. I tried going back to normal pedals but found it was more dangerous especially in the wet when my feet would slip off the pedal. My pedals I use are reversible, one side clip other flat bed. Handy in busy stop/start traffic.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
I've been cycling the past year with a pair of Nike Lunars and FWE ATB Pedals (which came stock with my bike), and the two seem to work perfectly - secure, no slippage and comfortable. I recently completed my first 70km ride last weekend, and had absolutely no issue. So that being said, if you have a pair of decent shoes and pedals that work perfectly well together, is it worth moving onto proper cycling shoes/pedals?

Only you can answer that really. It'll cost £50-£60 to find out (pair of M520 pedals, cheap shoes) so it's not an expensive experiment (in the scheme of cycling, or hobbies generally). If what you have is working for you, I think the advantages (in terms of speeds &c &c) are probably somewhat overstated - in terms of being secured to the pedals, I like clipless way better than toe clips & straps (and have had fewer falls with the former than later).

I like SPD (and SPD-SL) better than flats, personally, although my Brompton has flat pedals, and I have no problems pottering about on it.

I've said before, but cycling is just like lots of other hobbies in that people will line up to tell you you're doing it wrong, the type of pedals you like using is no exception.

MacB

I went clipless and would never go back even though I have fallen a couple of times because I couldn't get my clip out quick enough. Only the pride was dented and bruised. I tried going back to normal pedals but found it was more dangerous especially in the wet when my feet would slip off the pedal. My pedals I use are reversible, one side clip other flat bed. Handy in busy stop/start traffic.

The problem with this sort of statement is that you're not really making a fair comparison, and not your fault either. The pedals that come as standard, if at all, are rarely great and the reversible type are more a 'get you home' type flat than a proper riding type.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
IME, when you are used to one thing, changing to the other will always feel wierd at 1st, I can't ride flat pedals atm because I lift my feet off them like some sort of moron being used to at least reducing pressure on the upstroke with my clipless pedals and it feels marginally unsafe, I am sure if I persisted, I'd ride fine (people going the other way will likely have a similar experience).

At the end of the day though, having over the years used both systems, I find good, well fitting cycling shoes and clipless pedals to be more comfortable, even just for pottering about. Any performance gain is secondary, comfort is primary when it comes to shoes.

If other people find otherwise, then good for them. I couldn't give a toss what shoes someone is wearing. Although I do laugh when I see people with a pair of neoprene overshoes over trainers!

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
Agreed on the flat & clip pedals, if I was intending to use the A520's I bought for anything serious I'd be drilling and tapping them to add grip. I find them nice for some bits of my commute, being very 'urban' knowing I'm not going to accidentally clip back in can be handy. I think if I was buying again and speccing a bike that wasn't going to see my commute route at all (the mythical next n+1) then I'd go for something with clips on both sides, just to make life easier.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
... you can generate much more power from pulling and pushing.

My reading of some of the studies on this technique is that it's a fallacy. There's a good article on pedal technique here, with reference to studies carried out.

I remember once seeing an animated representation of the technique, with explanations of the mechanical forces involved and showing why it doesn't work. I'll have a trawl around to see if I can find it again.

GC

A5BlackEd

Personally I prefer clipless, have SPD shoes and find them very supportive and as others have said makes me feel part of the bike.

Hillclimbing I do find it easier 'pulling' and I believe it has improved my efficiency although I have no evidence of this

MacB

Do any Professionals ride on flat pedals? If not, why not?

they are professionals and we are not...if you read the shoes ruse you would see that it specifically excludes pros and wannabes. I ride, when I'm able, for utility, socially or for fitness, I care not a jot for perfecting my pedalling technique to eke out that final ounce of power. As long as I'm able to meet my own current needs with flat pedals then it will continue.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
To answer the OP's original question - I don't know. I have used clips and straps (and shoeplates) and then clipless pedals for over 50 years, and I find it extremely uncomfortable to ride a bike without them. My somewhat flippant question about professionals had a point - in that if clipless offered no advantage, they wouldn't be used. I don't accept the BS about sponsors, by the way.

.stu

Über Member
I have reversible touring pedals on both my bikes and ride them in flip flops when I'm not commuting. They are absolutely fine except occasionally I find that my toes bend backwards and my feet slip under the pedals. Also once or twice my flip flops have fallen off haha.

I use the SPD shoes for commuting because it is horrible to have to walk around all day in wet shoes, so I have to keep a pair of shoes at work regardless, so I might as well use ones designed for the purpose.

Top Bottom