Clipped pedals - Have they made a difference to you...?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
To answer the OP's original question - I don't know. I have used clips and straps (and shoeplates) and then clipless pedals for over 50 years, and I find it extremely uncomfortable to ride a bike without them.
Same as me. I wouldn't feel comfortable without my feet affixed to the pedals though I'd never knock anyone for riding without them, each to their own.

As for the pros, last person to win the Tour de France without clipless was Stephen Roche in 1987, last man to win a classic was Sean Kelly in the early nineties.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
As for the pros, last person to win the Tour de France without clipless was Stephen Roche in 1987, last man to win a classic was Sean Kelly in the early nineties.
Kelly was one of the last pros to use clips and straps. He said on Eurosport that he was just sticking with what he was familiar with, but once he had changed to clipless pedals he realised how much better they were and he would never go back to the old type.

Bike_Me

So by the sound of it, the main benefit of clipped and clippless is the ability to both push and pull while pedaling, which in turn would mean better efficiency and even spread of muscle use when riding long distances?

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
If you believe it works.

It may be that while clipped in you have a very specific contact point to the pedal, so all of the bike can be tuned around you for optimum riding efficiency and you're not going to stray out of that set up because everything works itself out from the feet and those are fixed.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
I reckon one reason is tiny clipless pedals are a fair bit lighter than flat pedals... and every ounce matters at their level.
I don't think that's a reason - it is easy nowadays to put together a sub 6.8 kg bike - in fact sometimes weight has to be added to bring the bike up to the minimum. I think it is simply because the pedal action is more efficient, resulting in more speed with less fatigue. Remember clipless pedals are not a new invention - someone saw a need for them as far back as 1895. See one of my favourite websites, Speedplay's Pedal Museum.

Yes. I think the "pull up" theory has been disproved.
I feel so much more balanced, secure and stable when clipped in. I also know I am not going to slip on the pedal, which can be VERY painful.
Agree about having the right part of the foot on the pedal too. I use SLs and take some trouble to fiddle with them to get them right for angle and pressure point.

TheJDog

dingo's kidneys
I tried riding up a 4 km 1 in 10 hill last week in flip flops. I had to get off and walk for a bit. I'd have pissed up it in SPDs, even. I think I'd have pissed up it on anything other than the 6 speed folding rental, to be honest.

Adding a bit more - the flat sole of a regular shoe was badly missed, also the stiffness. I've never considered before that the pedal would rotate under pressure, but in flip flops the only fixed point was the ball of my foot, the rest was all over the place, until I focussed and got the hang of it a bit. Plus my foot kept moving backwards on the pedal. And I kept getting flip-flop strikes on the ground. All in all, flip-flops are pretty much the worst cycling shoe you can buy.

Last edited:

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
How do you think they'd rate against rope bottom espadrilles? I'm just thinking while you'd get something for your heel to sit in, you'd loose the protection of the thick rubber sole...

TheJDog

dingo's kidneys
How do you think they'd rate against rope bottom espadrilles? I'm just thinking while you'd get something for your heel to sit in, you'd loose the protection of the thick rubber sole...

I think if your foot wasn't able to slide around the espadrilles would be better. I think diving fins might be better, but you might get some toe/front wheel overlap if you were exuberant with your steering.

Top Bottom