"Clothes hanger" stands and chain maintenance

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SoulOnIce

Hi,

Im thinking of getting one of these stands from decathlon...

http://www.decathlon...e-rack-3957901/

Could anyone tell me if when the bike is on the stand I can still rotate the pedels backwards for doing chain cleans and lubes? It looks as if the cranks might hit the bit where it goes wider.

I have one and it works a treat for chain cleaning. You just need to make sure you put the bike into the stand properly. The first couple of times you try is is bit fiddly, but once you've got the hang of it, it's no problem at all. I'm a bit of a klutz when it comes to such things and I managed to get it to work right - so I would recommend it.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Hi,

Im thinking of getting one of these stands from decathlon...

http://www.decathlon...e-rack-3957901/

Could anyone tell me if when the bike is on the stand I can still rotate the pedels backwards for doing chain cleans and lubes? It looks as if the cranks might hit the bit where it goes wider.

Yes*. I love these. Fantastic value for money. I keep both bikes on them, and I have another I use when cleaning and washing the bikes. Freestanding - no more leaning bikes against the wall, damaging saddle and bar tape. In fact I keep the 'best' bike in the study, on display, on one.

edit* - you can do a lot more than just clean and lube the chain - adjust gears, and rear brake, for example.

Fozz

OK,:blush: am i the only one who`s thinking "how do you use it??" the link doesn`t really give you any clues....

:wacko:

OP
OP
PaulSecteur

PaulSecteur

No longer a Specialized fanboy
You can really see the shape on the pic, but the hook goes over the downtube, there is a flatter bit that goes under the bottom bracket and the wider bit goes tilting towards your back wheel. Very hard to explain, but there is a pic on the packaging that makes it clear.

Jezston

Über Member
I'm with fozz on this - are there any pics of such a thing in use? I'm still none the wiser but your description makes me think something like this could be useful to me!

OP
OP
PaulSecteur

PaulSecteur

No longer a Specialized fanboy
LOL, just had my bike on the stand, should have taken a pic.

Just a word of warning, when turning the pedals for adjusting gears the legs of the stand can start to "walk" and become a little unstable.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
T0017-B.jpg

('library picture' - this is not the Decathlon version which has a continuous metal bar across the base connecting the 'feet')

Top Bottom