Clothing Choices for the Middle Aged

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
U

User32269

images.jpg

I hate clothes shopping so this is how I avoid it as much as possible.
I buy two of everything. Wear one set until it gets a bit tatty then wear the other set until it gets a bit more tatty. The first set then looks good in comparison. Wear that again until it goes a bit holey which makes the second set look good in comparison. Wear the second set until it has more holes, etc, etc.

Tin Pot

Guru
My mate who is 53 came round the other night after a clothes buying trip. He proudly showed me his new stash of clobber. These included boot cut jeans, trainees with springs attached and all the colours of the rainbow, and a variety of hoodies with huge logos everywhere. I pointed out sympathetically that, given our advancing years, he dressed like some weirdo old bloke that hung around the gates of sixth form schools. He took the hump at this, accusing me of dressing like Bear Grylls dad.

I had a bit of a think about my dress sense when I approached my fifties. Levis and Ben Shermans for smart, hiking kecks, fleeces etc. for dossing about. Don't want to look like some old fool trying to dress trendy, but also not ready for the diamond pattern zip up cardy and elasticated pants.

What solutions have you come up with to this sartorial minefield?

*Edited coz at my age I struggle with predictive text.

To misquote an old sensai, "the man wears the clothes, the clothes don't wear the man."

Build a set of simple/basic clothes to suit the social situations you move in.

Chuck out all the shoot that doesn't fit in the list into the shed - those are you new bike maintenance clothes.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
I opted out of 'fashion' many years ago - I live in climbing/hiking kit. Mainly high-tech T's, various fleeces and a multitude of hiking trousers. Footwear is mainly stuff from Salomon, Merrell etc.

Young women still throw themselves at me...

...utter rollocks really and simply a product of the deluded older male brain reflecting on fading memories. :rolleyes:

OP
OP
U

User32269

I opted out of 'fashion' many years ago - I live in climbing/hiking kit. Mainly high-tech T's, various fleeces and a multitude of hiking trousers. Footwear is mainly stuff from Salomon, Merrell etc.

Young women still throw themselves at me...

...utter rollocks really and simply a product of the deluded older male brain reflecting on fading memories. :rolleyes:
Much the same as myself....though with a distinct lack of women throwing themselves at me!
I still pick a pair of Samba as my footwear of choice though, think it's to feed the 1980s scally still trapped deep within my failing body!

Top Bottom