Coincidences.....what are your strangest?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
Sat on an airyplane waiting to go to Malta and a) the lady sat in the seat in front of me was a Scout Cub leader in a group I help out with as they don't always have enough leaders, and even weirder, b) her boyfriend is related to the people we are going to stay with. Small world.

classic33

Leg End Member
Being seen by two seperate nurses, in two seperate hospitals, both were from Hawkes Bay, both later moved to Christchurch.

ADarkDraconis

Cardinal Member
I am ringing up a customer at work and it is a couple in their 50s or so buying furniture for their daughter who is moving out here to my city to go to school. They give me their phone number for a contact for the order and I notice the area code isn't from around here but up north so I ask where they are from. They reply, "Conneaut," which is a tiny little town up by Lake Erie and the border to Pennsylvania that is a few hours' drive away.

My better half is from Conneaut, and I tell them this as most folks around here have never even heard of the town so that is kind of cool!
"Oh, who are his parents?" they ask, because since they are a fair bit older than me they figure his folks would be close to their age.
"Gary and Karen H." I answered.
"Doctor Gary H.?" the man asks incredulously.
"Yes, do you know him? He's a super nice guy!" I replied.
"Know him?" the man states, "I just drove my mother to her appointment with him last week! She has been going to him for over 30 years. Why, he took out my gallbladder in '95! Wanna see the scar?"
I decline the offer, but much laughter was had at the coincidence (after the daughter got over her initial embarrassment at her dad wanting to lift his shirt up for people, haha). I shared the story with my partner when I got home and he had a good laugh, it is a small world!

Another one involving his parents- we were off to Hawai'i on my first ever airplane trip for his youngest sister's wedding. We get to the airport here in town and take the first plane to Atlanta, Georgia to find our plane has been rerouted and so instead of going to Denver and from their going out to Honolulu we now have one long plane that will take us straight there. Sitting down at the gate waiting for the plane we hear a familiar voice the next aisle over, it was his mom!

His parents had left the day before from Pittsburgh but their second flight had gotten delayed and they had spent the night in Atlanta. We had thought they were already on the beach since they'd had a day's head start! We got to spend the 10hr flight together with his parents in the row behind us, from two different cities on different days we were rerouted onto the same plane! I am unfamiliar with flying so with delays and layovers and such maybe this wasn't that strange but we were all pleasantly surprised.

A very good friend of mine and I met through a meditation circle held by a mutual acquaintance. We both decided that after a few meetings and a falling out from both of us to that acquaintance (due to some at-first hidden prejudices by her and a few other members), we would be more comfortable starting our own group together with people we had more in common with spiritually and who weren't racist asshats- and so we branched out and started a new group.

We have been very close and like sisters for over a year, and have only recently discovered that the woman who had separately and at completely different times (my friend had started going to the original meetings sooner than I had) who had asked and encouraged us each to go to our first meditation group was a woman who she and I had both previously worked with in our two very separate fields,who had somehow always been absent from our monthly meetings because of some reason or another so we hadn't even known that we each even knew her!

Last edited:

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
In the early 80's a mate and I flew to southern Turkey. Plan was to make way Back home overland. 1st place we stayed was Marmaris. Walking along harbour front we bumped into our old deputy head from school and his family.
Later that week we went on a coach/boat trip and got chatting to the only English speaker apart.from guide. He was Turkish and gone illegally to USA and had only just been made.legal and got green card so could come home and was having short break before going back to see his family. He never told us where they were.
A week or.so.later we were in Istanbul. We were just coming out.of the Grand Bazar when we heard this voice "Look who it.is". It was that Turkish guy. He was helping out on his brother's jewellery stall. He then tried to get us to buy some gold. So had slipped back into the family.business and patter quickly.
A few years ago the missus and I bumped into a couple who lived a few doors down the road (Ashby de la Zouch) whilst in Scarborough.

Renmurew

Veteran
In the early 90's my parents and I had driven down to Somerset from Scotland in separate cars for a long weekend, me in my sporty little red car and my parents in their bland family car. On the day we were leaving we agreed to set off at different times so as not to follow each other up the road. I headed off a couple of hours before them but decided on a whim to stop off in Birmingham to catch up with a friend.

After setting off again I was heading north on the M6 and suffered my first (and to date only) puncture on a motorway. I managed to get myself safely from the outside lane to the hard shoulder and was just calming myself down and working out what to do, when a car pulled up in front of me, a gentleman got out and walked back towards my car. He tapped on my window and as I looked around for something to arm myself with, my Dad said "Do you need a hand love"!:wub:

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
Other odd things happening to me recently....

I am from Darlington & now live in Bristol. Easter Monday's popmaster quiz on R2 Ken Bruce had their first contestant from Darlington & the second from Bristol...:okay:

Sort of creepy for about 5 minutes - I went to try out a new camera lens and found a nice spot about 25 miles from where I live. Having mounted the camera there was a scrap of paper in the field at the front of the shot so I went to remove it. I looked at the paper and it was a schematic for a Tda1543 DAC - which was an amazing coincidence since I have one exactly the same and when I turned the paper over there was my handwriting!

This sent my brain into a whirl and it was only after a few minutes that I managed get my logic back into gear worked out that I must have accidentally packed the schematic with the camera in its satchel and it had blown away when I took the camera out on site.

Not really a co-incidence

Last weekend, I was in Penistone, as my daughter was having an 'under 17' driving lesson at the Grammar School (we'd usually go to Church Fenton, but they had no spare sessions)
After a walk round, taking photographs of various buildings, I went into the local TESCO, to get her a sandwich & a drink, for the journey home

I wasn't paying any attention, so just went to the nearest open cashier
I looked at her, she looked at me
We both thought we knew each other, then I saw her name badge
It was Jill, the (as it turned out... now) ex-wife of a chap who lived in the next street, & shared a Land Rover addiction with me, & we have been 'green-laning' together in the Peak District
They moved about 6 years ago

I go to a town, 20+ miles away, pick a till at random & meet someone I know
Odd enough

Brains

Legendary Member
Walking across an unlit Cornish carpark in the pitch dark whist talking to my wife.
A shadow in the dark says "Hello Brains"
She was a former friend of my parents from London, I'd not seen her since I was a teenager.
Yet she recognised me by my (un-distingushed) voice.

Brains

Legendary Member
Out on the Pi55 in Hong Kong in the late 1980's
At the end of the night as the packed bar is closing I wander to the bar and my mates think I'm trying to chat up the barmaid with obviusly great sucess.
She was my younger sisters best friend at primary school in London, I'd not seen her in 25 years

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
My wife went to bed about half an hour before me last night. When I eventually went up she said to me: " Did you just sit on the bed?". "No" said I. "Then it must be my mother visiting me." she replied. Her mother died in 1976.

captain nemo1701

Flipping around TV a few days ago, I watched the start of Diamonds Are Forever. I then went into the kitchen to make myself a coffee and to check how long the washing machine would be. The display said it had 007 minutes to go....(honestly!!):okay:

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Found out today that @raleighnut is my slightly older doppelgänger! I need answers.

AE046A01-96B7-4AE0-86CD-A98A114AED62.jpeg

captain nemo1701

Had a trekkie orientated coincidence yesterday. I caught an item on BBC news 24 about young people going bald. OK, so it can seriously affect some people but I thought that they should take solace from Patrick Stewart who lost his hair at 19.

I switched channels to Sky news....and there was one famous bald starship captain talking about a second Brexit vote.....:okay:.

Top Bottom