Coincidences.....what are your strangest?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I don't think I've added this??
If I have, I apologise

Daughter has a new b/f (Stephen......friends, then officially an item about February)

Apparantly, 'dad' had been asking Amelia about herself (& us), as you do..... out of curiosity
Stephen said to me "My dad knows you"

As happens, all the permutations go through your head
Work?....... patient/staff/Paramedic/Police Officer
School?........ infant/junior/secondary/6th form
Amelias old school???........ teacher/parent
From when we (wife & I) used to go out on a Saturday night?...... was it somone from the pub we always went to in Wakefield (Friar Tucks)

At this point, I didn't know Stephens surname, he told me his dads name
Cycling.................

I did, & told him what I could remember of him
I even showed him some photographs of his dad from almost 10 years ago (racing Grass-Track, at Roundhay Park)
I can remember his sister, at the events, but not him

I used to race CX, at the same events as his dad, & he was even in the same Club for a while
Finally met him, last week, for first time in that 10 years, when collecting daughter from their house

Small world...............

Last edited:
After I left uni (UEA, same as Reg AIH, but my name's not Russell! :smile:) in 1999 I moved to Sweden, and joined a cricket team consisting of about 20 Sri Lankans and myself.

One match, I was wearing my old UEA sweatshirt to the game and one of my team mates' girlfriends (who was also Sri Lankan) was wearing the same sweatshirt. We looked at each other and laughed. After a few minutes of questions and answers we remembered that we'd been in the same pub quiz team in the Grad. Bar at UEA.

slowwww

Veteran
I used to work with a guy that played in a brass-band and toured the world with them. There was a reciprocal arrangement to keep costs down when they were touring where they would stay in the houses of fellow bandsmen in the destination country.

On one occasion he was staying with a family in Canada, and noticed a photograph of a younger version of Slowwww on the mantelpiece. Yes, he was staying with my Uncle in Toronto!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Ooh, I've just experienced one of those odd coincidences! :whistle:

Let me ask you this ... Do you use the word 'brouhaha' often?

No, I don't either! I have never written the word before today and have never said it out loud. The last time I saw it written down was probably 4 or 5 years ago, and the last time I heard it spoken was when a politician (Jacob Rees-Mogg?) was being interviewed on TV a couple of years ago.

I was just doing a crossword and thought that 'brouhaha' might be the answer to one clue. I wasn't sure how to spell the word, so I looked it up. Good, that fits, crossword finished ...

I then remembered that I wanted to look up advice on writing a will, so I Googled for help. The first result that I read had the word 'brouhaha' in the first paragraph! :eek:

ColinJ

I will resurrect this thread because I had a corker of a coincidence today...

I met my stepdaughter in 'Spoons' for lunch. We were chatting and I mentioned that I am having another go at learning the guitar. She asked why and I said that I watched a 3-part series about music by Stewart Copeland, formerly of The Police. I told her that he had chatted to Sting about how the latter wrote his songs, and who then picked up a guitar and played the start of Message In A Bottle. (She is too young to remember it.) It reminded me that I still want to learn but I am getting too old to keep putting it off.

Afterwards, I popped round to the station to pick up a copy of the Metro. I got home, made myself a pot of coffee, and sat down to do the crosswords. The paper fell open at page 34, where there was an article about a new dance show based on... the songs of Sting, and called Message In A Bottle... AAAAAAARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek: :wacko: :laugh:

Last edited:

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I once dropped my inhaler on the floor of the bus from Norwich to Thorpe Hamelet. As we were travelling up Ketts Hill, the dang thing rolled away and a girl of my own age picked it up and handed it to me. We stared at each other as it was like looking in a mirror.
We got chatting. She was 6 weeks older than me. She had a grey horse called Silver, I had a chestnut horse called Copper. I had a GSD called Nelson and hers was called Horatio. We were best friends for 10 years until she died when we were 23. I was always amazed at our similarities. Always in bother :laugh:

ColinJ

I once dropped my inhaler on the floor of the bus from Norwich to Thorpe Hamelet. As we were travelling up Ketts Hill, the dang thing rolled away and a girl of my own age picked it up and handed it to me. We stared at each other as it was like looking in a mirror.
We got chatting. She was 6 weeks older than me. She had a grey horse called Silver, I had a chestnut horse called Copper. I had a GSD called Nelson and hers was called Horatio. We were best friends for 10 years until she died when we were 23. I was always amazed at our similarities. Always in bother :laugh:
How weird, how nice, but how sad that she died so young!

I commuted to Manchester for years and Smooth Radio played the same 10 songs on every bl--ding day!!

They still do :wacko:

I don't think I've added this??
If I have, I apologise

Daughter has a new b/f (Stephen......friends, then officially an item about February)

Apparantly, 'dad' had been asking Amelia about herself (& us), as you do..... out of curiosity
Stephen said to me "My dad knows you"

As happens, all the permutations go through your head
Work?....... patient/staff/Paramedic/Police Officer
School?........ infant/junior/secondary/6th form
Amelias old school???........ teacher/parent
From when we (wife & I) used to go out on a Saturday night?...... was it somone from the pub we always went to in Wakefield (Friar Tucks)

At this point, I didn't know Stephens surname, he told me his dads name
Cycling.................

I did, & told him what I could remember of him
I even showed him some photographs of his dad from almost 10 years ago (racing Grass-Track, at Roundhay Park)
I can remember his sister, at the events, but not him

I used to race CX, at the same events as his dad, & he was even in the same Club for a while
Finally met him, last week, for first time in that 10 years, when collecting daughter from their house

Small world...............

Was talking to a PTS crew a few days ago (Patient Transport Services; the guys/girls, who pick patients up for Out Patient appointments, etc...)

He mentioned that he'd seen me riding in to work, & asked if I rode regularly/was in a Club (I jokingly suggested that the bike, & gear gave a clue, that rode a lot)
He then told me hid did too, but a different Club, I asked him if he knew various people in the club he stated
It turned out that he goes to daughters b/fs dads house, & knows Stephen

Also spoken with my daughter, as it seems that they were sat at same (or adjacent) table, at the Club dinner!

Once more.... small world:wacko:

This one belongs to my dad, a bit of background first though.
My grandfather died when my dad was a toddler. My nan eventually remarried and my dad's dad was never mentioned in the household and there was little to no memorabilia of his life. It wasn't until my nan died and her stuff was being cleared that my dad found out what his father looked like having found a photo of my grandfather tucked away.
Anyway, most of my dad's working life was spent involved with heavy haulage, real big stuff like this;
View attachment 400871
He was for many years involved in route planning for these types of loads and for a few years when I was younger had his own business doing this called "Pathfinder Ltd"
Decades later my mum got interested in family trees and managed to find out some information about my dad's side of the family. It turned out his grandfather died during WWI when the ship he was a stoker on was torpedoed, the name of the ship was "HMS Pathfinder."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Pathfinder_(1904)

:okay::okay::okay::okay:

A real indivisible load
Moved with less BHP than the average 'hot-hatch'
(but more torque, better gearing, & 'mechanical traction' - due to the Scammells weight)

Sharky

Guru
Different months, but my birthday is on the 9th, so too is one our daughters and her partner.
Other daughter birthday is 7th Nov and her step son is on the same day.
We were married on 31st May 1975 at 4pm - our son was born on the 31st May 1988 at 4pm
Three cousins were all born on the 7th Jan

wormo

Guru
On holiday in Mexico, on a organised trip got talking to a couple and turns out that we had mutual friends even though we lived hundreds of miles apart.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Going to Amsterdam and bumping into my mate who lived there.. he only popped into dam central to sort out a legal thing.

Top Bottom