Coincidences.....what are your strangest?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
Having 11 Japanese doctors following close behind, boarding the ferry at Liverpool.

I'd stepped on board and that was the last thing remembered for over half an hour. Fit started just after I'd boarded. The doctors were less than five minutes behind me. They'd decided to board as foot passengers for reasons they couldn't explain, leaving their mini bus to be driven on.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
This one belongs to my dad, a bit of background first though.
My grandfather died when my dad was a toddler. My nan eventually remarried and my dad's dad was never mentioned in the household and there was little to no memorabilia of his life. It wasn't until my nan died and her stuff was being cleared that my dad found out what his father looked like having found a photo of my grandfather tucked away.
Anyway, most of my dad's working life was spent involved with heavy haulage, real big stuff like this;
5068048518_451f32a1fb_b.jpg

He was for many years involved in route planning for these types of loads and for a few years when I was younger had his own business doing this called "Pathfinder Ltd"
Decades later my mum got interested in family trees and managed to find out some information about my dad's side of the family. It turned out his grandfather died during WWI when the ship he was a stoker on was torpedoed, the name of the ship was "HMS Pathfinder."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Pathfinder_(1904)

Last edited:
My grandfather died when my dad was a toddler. My nan eventually remarried and my dad's dad was never mentioned in the household and there was little to no memorabilia of his life.
That's sad. I have a friend whose mother did that. Her father died of cancer when she was small, and her mother tried to remove all records of him because he had "abandoned" her. My friend was also a second class family member compared to her younger half brothers.

It turned out his grandfather died during WWI when the ship he was a stoker on was torpedoed, the name of the ship was "HMS Pathfinder."
Amazing coincidence, but are you sure it's a coincidence? It's seem possible that your dad did a little research into his dad, and commemorated him in his business name.

Heigue'r

Veteran
A fairly personel one but a coincidence or not.
My fiance and I allways wanted children,we got our travels around the world out of the way and once we returned to London,we decided to start a family.Things did not go well,we suffered 3 early stage miscarriages and an eptopic pregnancy.Things were not looking good.In october 2008 we lost another at 5months when they couldnt find the heartbeat.After this,we went to various hospitals to find out the cause and basically the diagnosis was that we would never have kids naturally.

When we lost the baby at 5 months,My mother was a year into her fight with cancer.Unfortunately she lost her fight on 22nd May 2009 shortly before 10am

On the 22nd of May 2012,shortly before 10 am on a beautiful sunny morning,blue sky's,not a cloud to be seen,myself and my fiance welcomed our Son into the world.Everything natural.Happiest day of my life.
As if that wasn't enough of a coincidence on the 22nd May 2015,a bit later in the day,granted,shortly before 2pm,we welcomed our baby daughter into the world.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
That's sad. I have a friend whose mother did that. Her father died of cancer when she was small, and her mother tried to remove all records of him because he had "abandoned" her. My friend was also a second class family member compared to her younger half brothers.
It is. Whether it was due to some sort of sense of duty on my nan's part or whether it was something my step grandfather wanted/demanded we'll never know. I don't know if my father ever felt like a second class family member but I do know he despised his step father and up until around 20 years ago didn't really go a bundle on his step brother either. I would imagine that he was a very difficult child and an especially obnoxious teenager as a result.

Amazing coincidence, but are you sure it's a coincidence? It's seem possible that your dad did a little research into his dad, and commemorated him in his business name.
Not a hope, as far as my dad is concerned his father died before he knew him he is therefore a stranger to him and he has no interest in him, if you knew my father you would be in no doubt that this is the case. Not that he's not been a good father/grandfather/great grandfather, but he has his idiosyncrasies. It may be that he felt alone as a result of his father's death and has ploughed that particular furrow ever since, I don't know, it's not really a conversation you could have with him.

CharlieB

Junior Walker and the Allstars
Not really a coincidence, more a demonstration of the small world we occupy.
Those of this parish who know me will know I collect music to an excessive (or obsessive?) degree, and broadcast on community radio.
Coming up on the 21st April is International Record Store Day, and I'm lining up a live event on the day on my radio station with my local record shop (The Record Shop Ltd., in Amersham* who had a queue 100 metres long last year at one point).
Last week, I had a preliminary chat with the owner of the shop to set out a basic structure for the day, and when we exchanged contact details, it turned out we were in the same class at school, some 40-odd years ago.

* Other record shops are available.
(…but not many)

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
A fairly personel one but a coincidence or not.
My fiance and I allways wanted children,we got our travels around the world out of the way and once we returned to London,we decided to start a family.Things did not go well,we suffered 3 early stage miscarriages and an eptopic pregnancy.Things were not looking good.In october 2008 we lost another at 5months when they couldnt find the heartbeat.After this,we went to various hospitals to find out the cause and basically the diagnosis was that we would never have kids naturally.

When we lost the baby at 5 months,My mother was a year into her fight with cancer.Unfortunately she lost her fight on 22nd May 2009 shortly before 10am

On the 22nd of May 2012,shortly before 10 am on a beautiful sunny morning,blue sky's,not a cloud to be seen,myself and my fiance welcomed our Son into the world.Everything natural.Happiest day of my life.
As if that wasn't enough of a coincidence on the 22nd May 2015,a bit later in the day,granted,shortly before 2pm,we welcomed our baby daughter into the world.
May I confess to a few tears after reading that.
But many congrats on you family :smile:

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Hope I've not already posted this as it happened a few days ago (and I'm an old fart).
Was listening to radio 2 and TBH the music was pretty naff. Then Zoom by Fat Larry's Band came on and as I like it I listened to that one. I then switched over to Smooth Radio and what was playing..........Zoom by Fat Larry's Band.
BTW.....Fat Larry was FAT. He died of a heart attack aged just 38.

Ken was the first boyfriend on anyone in my school clique, so he was a bit of a celebrity amongst the rest of us, with much teasing involved and (for instance) I had my first pash** with his best friend when I was dragged out on a double date. Anyway, years advance, Ken is long gone from our lives. He ends up moving to a different state to study, and years later I find out he's married to my cousin!

Feels like a very small world thing, but on the other hand I have 32 cousins and Australia's population back then was on well under 20 million, so maybe the unlikely thing is that only one of my cousins married someone I know.

**snog - just trying to add some local colour to the story.

A few years ago I was in India with a Finnish mate who loves reggae. He was playing it all the time and it was getting on my nerves (even though I like reggae, too).

I asked him to switch it off/down, or find something else to play. He found his favourite Finnish radio channel through his iPad and the very same reggae song that was just being played on his iPad was now coming from the radio station.

wheresthetorch

Dreaming of Celeste
A few years ago I was in India with a Finnish mate who loves reggae. He was playing it all the time and it was getting on my nerves (even though I like reggae, too).

I asked him to switch it off/down, or find something else to play. He found his favourite Finnish radio channel through his iPad and the very same reggae song that was just being played on his iPad was now coming from the radio station.

That's what he told you! :whistle:

About 18 years ago we were driving from Stranraer down to Portsmouth and we stopped in the motorway services on the M40. It was quite busy and after a few minutes we found a parking space.
It was when I had switched the engine off that I looked out my window and realised that in the next space was my sister and her family on route from Holyhead to Windsor.

About 18 years ago we were driving from Stranraer down to Portsmouth and we stopped in the motorway services on the M40. It was quite busy and after a few minutes we found a parking space.
It was when I had switched the engine off that I looked out my window and realised that in the next space was my sister and her family on route from Holyhead to Windsor.
That is a stonking coincidence ... so I am hoping I am not devaluing it by mentioning that most of my cousins - including the one who married Ken - are (or were) Duffs.

(seeing as there are only two posts between mine and yours, think this counts as a minor coinkydink)

Top Bottom