Collision between mega bus and cyclist on Monday

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mangid

Guru
Bonus silly cyclist at the end!

Not to mention the 2 cars running the red right at the start of the video.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
There is no ASL where Dave2041 stopped - and lady cyclist is already at the junction (also no ASL) - supporting my concept that she had failed to get over on the previous sequence.

Impossible to tell whether bus jumped red but cyclist/any other motor vehicle would not have/been extremely unlikely to have reached the crossing/impact point had they not been as far forward as the lady cyclist was.

- Bus may or may not have RLJ'd
- Lady cyclist was much further forward than she would normally have been
- Lady cyclist should have looked, especially being so much further forward than usual/normal

Worth reporting ?
Hmmmmmm .... maybe .... maybe not ...... really not sure.
6, 2x3, 4+2, half a dozen ?

OP
OP
dave2041

dave2041

There is no ASL where Dave2041 stopped - and lady cyclist is already at the junction (also no ASL) - supporting my concept that she had failed to get over on the previous sequence.

Impossible to tell whether bus jumped red but cyclist/any other motor vehicle would not have/been extremely unlikely to have reached the crossing/impact point had they not been as far forward as the lady cyclist was.

- Bus may or may not have RLJ'd
- Lady cyclist was much further forward than she would normally have been
- Lady cyclist should have looked, especially being so much further forward than usual/normal

Worth reporting ?
Hmmmmmm .... maybe .... maybe not ...... really not sure.
6, 2x3, 4+2, half a dozen ?

3!

Looking at the size of the junction but with no knowledge of the sequence delays, I am not convinced that the bus did RLJ. The cyclist was in a world of her own and should have realised being so far over the stop line she needed to look right. Hell if I am at the front at lights I look right as a matter of course.

Certainly a lucky girl to get off with a bruise or two.

adds21

Rider of bikes
What I find most worrying about this video is not the fact the bus may/may not have jumped the red, or the fact the cyclist was far too forward, it's simply that she blindly (literally, as far as I could see) went when the light turned green without any thought to her surroundings.

Inertia

I feel like I could... TAKE ON THE WORLD!!
What I find most worrying about this video is not the fact the bus may/may not have jumped the red, or the fact the cyclist was far too forward, it's simply that she blindly (literally, as far as I could see) went when the light turned green without any thought to her surroundings.
Indeed, she is very lucky and at least she learned the lesson without (I hope) serious injury. I also hope it hasn't shocked her too much, she will continue riding and it will just be a lesson learned.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
I can't see the vid in any great definition at present and with no sound. But....
If that cyclist was one of my family, they'd be getting a *****cking and I'd be near tears.
They're mid junction in the middle of a light phase. They need to be a minimum of 100% aware of their surroundings.

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
It's amazing she got away with it, you could have very easily had some footage you didnt want to watch ever again. In the slow mo she managed to slide along the side of the bus and not fall down until passing the rear wheel. It did look a bit like her head might have taken a knock on impact too(run, helmet debate!), i remember taking a rigid bus wing mirror to the head at <10mph amazing the physics of how hard they hit.:crazy:

I have to admit im slightly cynical that if it had happened to a bloke there wouldnt be quite as much interest in their well-being once theyd scraped themselves off the floor.

Is it a bad idea to wait further forward like she did?

OP
OP
dave2041

dave2041

It's amazing she got away with it, you could have very easily had some footage you didnt want to watch ever again. In the slow mo she managed to slide along the side of the bus and not fall down until passing the rear wheel. It did look a bit like her head might have taken a knock on impact too(run, helmet debate!), i remember taking a rigid bus wing mirror to the head at <10mph amazing the physics of how hard they hit.:crazy:

I have to admit im slightly cynical that if it had happened to a bloke there wouldnt be quite as much interest in their well-being once theyd scraped themselves off the floor.

Is it a bad idea to wait further forward like she did?

I can see absolutley no reason why you would feel the need to jump the lights and wait as far forward as that.

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
I can see absolutley no reason why you would feel the need to jump the lights and wait as far forward as that.
Sometimes i sit just infront of the white line like an imaginary ASL area, nothing like as far as she was but provided you still look around you it gives you a headstart negotiating the junction. I was just wondering after comments on here if its a particularly bad habit I should stop, hadnt really thought about it as RLJ before since im still sat waiting for the red light.

Davywalnuts

Chief Kebab Taster
:eek:!!! In shock!

Without commenting further on possible RLJ or lack of her awareness, the video really highlights the fact of how close, in seconds, we can be to death on the roads. If the bus was two seconds later, am sure she would have been a gone'er. Fate was, just, on her side and I hope its a very steep learning curve for them both now.

And also how quite frankly, how rubbish the majority of road layouts are!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom