Collision between mega bus and cyclist on Monday

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

potsy

Rambler
One very lucky lady, I wonder if she is fairly new to cycling or whether she always does that at those lights?
If she does then she certainly won't do it again :ohmy:

I have similar problems at junctions where the oncoming traffic has a filter to allow a few vehicles to turn right before we get the green light to go straight ahead, always 1 or 2 that continue to go even though our lights have turned green, being in the ASL means the cyclist is the first into the firing line.

Hip Priest

Veteran
I use a similar junction every day. But it's a bit tighter and unsighted due to buildings (see link below).

My light goes green the exact same time it goes red for traffic coming from the right. 1 or 2 days a week an ambler-gambler will shoot through whilst I'm on green, so I always proceed with extreme caution. I often fear that a less experienced or attentive cyclist will have their own Megabus moment, or worse.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?rls=com.microsoft:en-gb:blush:E-Address&oe=UTF-8&rlz=1I7SMSN_en&redir_esc=&q=bigg market newcastle&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=0x487e70b5c1de3f77:0xfc694f9fb96c13bd,Bigg Market, Newcastle Upon Tyne&gl=uk&sa=X&ei=EFnjT5zRKtSG8gOPj8nXDg&ved=0CBgQ8gEwAQ

400bhp

Guru
I see so much of this.

Cyclists moving way past the stop line and then either (when there isn't a traffic light facing you) anticipating the change of lights to green from the opposing light sequence going to red, or (when there is a traffic light facing you) going when they go to green.

Problem couldn't be more clear from that video.

PK99

Legendary Member
Think this pretty much sums up the thread.

But damnn, she just cheated death.

The irony is that, while there are numerous posts above highlighting the obvious fact that her positioning and observation where poor, if she had been killed such observations would have been termed Victim Blaming.

Also, this recent press report from the same region is pertinent:
http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/news/districtnews/9502272.Grandad_dies_after_bus_fall/

Police are now investigating the circumstances of 70-year-old Arthur Walker’s death — including what caused the driver to brake.
He was on the 501 bus heading into Bolton town centre when the driver braked sharply in Church Road, Doffcocker, and he fell.
Mr Walker, who broke his ribs in the fall, began to feel unwell and died two days later at the Royal Bolton Hospital.
Police believe his injuries may have contributed to his death.

Mr Celine

Discordian
Here's the bus driver's view on steetview.
By looking around on streetview you can see that the junction has a 30mph limit, though increasing to 40 beyond the junction.
On UK traffic lights single amber is always 3 seconds, starting red/amber is 2 seconds. There may also be an interstage when both phases are red.
The bus first appears in the video when the cyclist's stage is green, ie at least 2 seconds after the bus's stage changed to red. By looking at the position of the stop lines and signal heads on streetview and comparing them with the video, and assuming that the junction has not been remodelled since google went through, the bus driver clearly jumped a red light.

Which is good reason to always look before you set off and not ride straight into the side of a bus.:wacko:

400bhp

Guru
Read the post above by Poirot.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Further speculation! I can take you to a handful of traffic lights just within a few miles of my home where due to the road layouts and the long distances between the stop lines and the jcts (as in the vid) where the lights are phased to start the other traffic going before the vehicles passing in the opposite direction can have cleared the intersection. This is common practice in modern traffic management (whether this is a good or bad thing I cannot possibly pass judgement on).

Same here a little further south. These big junctions work like that. Work well if you are at the right point before you (car/bus/bike) set off, but not if you are at the junction. :wacko:

Not being funny here, that was totally sh1t cycling by the lady. I see loads of really poor non-awareness cycling by female cyclists, coupled with sheer stupid cycling by males. Not sexist, that's what I see.

Classic example. Closing in on a few cyclists on Tuesday, see one small figure that is shifting along in front, small, think female (and was). Catch lot up at lights. I sit behind. Female rider is on a road bike, but using running shorts, but has really muscular legs - triathlete ? Couple of blokes on bikes, and me. Lass jumps them as they change, me on fixed starts grinding away and overtake all three. Traffic. I slow and stay behind - lass scoots up inside at some knotts. I catch again and pass. Traffic heavy again, lass jumps lights.

Some folk don't help themselves. They have obviously not been at the receiving end of an RTC. Not nice at all.

Seen some real 'rubbish' cycling this week.

PK99

Legendary Member
Here's the bus driver's view on steetview.

interesting view that, showing the design of the junction with the stop line some distance from the through road, giving traffic on the 40mph road a good clear view of the waiting traffic. The lady cyclist had very neatly positioned herself at the edge of the fast road camouflaged by multiple items of items of street furniture as seen front the drivers position (pull back on street view to get a better impression of what he saw)

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Story

Crap driving
Crap cycling

Conclusion

Lucky to be alive. :wacko: Hope the lass learned.

I see too many folk riding bikes without a care every day - this isn't London you lot (no great mass), this is Manchester area - this is where the incident happened. Cyclists have no critical mass - you are lucky to see you plus one at a junction.

I am surprised I don't see more of this.

It's national cycling week at the minute, seen more p1ss poor cycling than all year.:wacko:

400bhp

Guru
Same experiences here too foss-some people leave their brain at home when cycling. The worst offenders are females and middle aged blokes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom