"Come on fattie old chap...pedal harder!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Bicycle weight seems to be something of an obsession on this forum and I have to wonder if everyone has taken leave of their senses? I realise this subject has been probably been done to death, but here goes my ten penneth……

Many of your less charitable contributors to these posts make it clear that to be with the "In-crowd" you must have the very lightest bicycle and do everything you possibly can to make your bike light. If you don't, not only is the bicycle you ride suspect.... but you must be a fool also.

In the world of Cycle Chat Light = Good; Heavy = bad. I should know dear readers for I ride a Pashley (and by God I love it!) and the distain of some for that small admission needs to be seen to be believed…..the bike and yours truly, weighing in at 100kgs (so please spare me the tourette's like blurtings…there’s good chaps!) In any case, at the risk of bringing down a storm of choice remarks I thought I’d dare to actually prop up my argument over weight with evidence.

First of all let me make it clear, weight is important. If it weren't, we would all be enjoying pleasant 200mile rides on 100kilo road bikes equipped with arm chairs and small car tyres. So despite the title, I accept that we should all ride modern, well-made, well equipped bikes.

BUT!......In truth what we are debating here is nothing more than just a few kilos. Bikes range from “commuter bikes” like my all-steel Pashley, to a super-light barely strong enough to negotiate a pot hole single speeder. In truth given the usual rider and bike combination giving a combined weight of say 82 kilos the difference in performance between bikes of differing weight may surprise you.

James C. Martin, Ph.D. an assistant professor of exercise and sport science at the University of Utah provides some interesting calculations that makes the issues of weight very clear.

He took a 5 kilometer hill of 7% grade as an example which is a good stiff climb (the legendary Stelvio climb averages 7.5%). He further assumed a 73kg rider who can produce 250 watts on a 10 kg bike. Given those circumstances it would take 19 minutes and 21 seconds for the rider to get up the hill. Now comes the interesting bit. For every 2kgs added the trip up the hill would take 30 seconds longer. So even on my Pashley on a really tough climb it would only take 22 minutes and 21seconds (a mere 3 minutes longer)

That means that even on a heavy old clunker like mine, I’d only be three minutes late for the jolly picnic at the top of the 20 minute climb. Just in time for the weight watchers to get the sandwiches and tea out!

The performance advantage of a light bike is clearest when the hill is steepest. When the road flattens out, those 30 seconds per kilo grow smaller and smaller and make no real difference on the level because as the speed of the bike increases, the greater resistance comes from the wind, tire rolling resistance, bearing drag, clothing….. less and less on the weight (on a downhill stretch it’s a slight advantage to have a heavier bike).

Variations in body weight being much greater make a much bigger difference. If that same 73kg, 250 watt rider on the same bike as in the first instance were to be 100kgs he would reach the top 6 minutes and 10 seconds later……..that is 3 minutes after me on the jolly old Pash….and I’d then have to ask my butler to have the “Bolly” chilled!

So don’t stress about bike weight my dear velocipedal chums…….lose weight off yourself!

Bottoms up!...heads down!

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
yes. Or, then again, no.

Hmmm, not quite sure I agree with you here. I don't think that hardly anyone here is bike weight obsessed. If you're buying a roadie, go for one as light as your money allows. Everyone knows that if you want to climb faster, lose weight, easiest way to do this is the bike, when you have your bike with 27 gears, climb some hills to lose the weight off your body, the lighter bike makes it more enjoyable which makes you want to climb more hills and lose more weight. So yeah, go for a bike that's as light as possible.

So weight isn't that important because we'll all get there roughly the same time, but, and by the way, we should all loose weight off ourselves. Was that the gist of it?

Also, the research done by the doc seems to look at the effect of mass on constant speed up a hill where differences will be minimal. It's in all the stopping and starting where difference's in mass make the most difference. On an average commute through town with a bunch of stop signs and traffic lights a couple kilos in mass can make quite a difference in required effort.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
You must have been inhabiting a different part of the forum to me. I haven't seen much weight obsessiveness about.

I've often thought it's a bit daft spending £££'s on a carbon fibre bike that saves 4lbs when you're two stone overweight. There again, if you've got the money and you want one, go for it.

There's one problem with weight. If you're just cycling with friends and family to a picnic, that's one thing; if you're trying to hang on to a chain-gang, that's another. By the time you've puffed to the stop of the hill, they'll have had a nice little rest and be ready to set off again.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Bike weight? A bike is a bike, surely?:angry:

gavintc

Guru
Seems to me that fact is getting in the way of our Pashley rider's work of fiction. Develop a premise based upon a false perception and then write about. Sadly, he has missed the mark.

tyred

Legendary Member
Certainly not me who is obsessed with weight.

Now, where can I buy myself some tubes with carbon fibre valve stems?

Haitch

Flim Flormally
Less of the flak, chaps. I've learnt that a 250-watt race snake going up a really tough climb is only three minutes faster than me on my shopper. I never knew I was so good.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Less of the flak, chaps. I've learnt that a 250-watt race snake going up a really tough climb is only three minutes faster than me on my shopper. I never knew I was so good.

Prey tell, where is the tough climb in the Netherlands?

ventoux50

Methinks the Gentleman biker might have been snorting the 'bollie'

:wacko: :blush:

bottom line - speed uphill is determined by (amongst many other things) power to weight ratio.

The reason most people buy lightweight bikes is simple - they're very very nice ! :wub:

martint235

Dog on a bike
I kind of agree with the OP but did fall asleep half way through the post.

To sum up my view on these things, I do like shiny things (ok things that are shiny till they get dirty!) but weight isn't an issue. I see it that a few hundred grams here and there on the bike is kind of lost when I put nearly 95kilos on the saddle. :tongue:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom