Commuter/tourer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Wilfred

My Specialized Sirrus ('03/'04-ish vintage) is probably on it's last legs. I rescued it from the scrap heap after a mate had put mega mileage on it commuting. The transmission was well worn, but a new set of budget front forks and brakes have seen it do me proud for the last 4 months of heavy use. Sadly the transmission really is dying now, and considering the mongrel front end and slightly battered frame in general I think a replacement bike makes more sense than new mech.

My use is largely commuting - 10 mile round trip at the moment which may increase by as much as double by the summer. This involves loads from nothing (apart from me!) to a backpack and twin rear panniers. I'm also considering doing some long distance rides next year - something like a 2 day/200 mile ride.

So - do i just buy a like for like replacement like another Sirrus, or would some sort of tourer or audax bike suit me better? I'm looking at the Spesh Tricross, which looks pretty versatile - although I'm not planning on any off-roading.

Budget-wise I'm probably looking around the £500 mark, but if something was clearly better and worth it this could rise...

Thoughts?

Top Bottom