Commuting - Rucksack Choices

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
I used to use a 30 litre Regatta ruck sack. It had chest straps, no waist strap, and just so happened to fit me like a glove. Not remotely waterproof, but lining it with a thick plastic bag cured that. Priormto that i had an Overboard waterproof rucksack, which was splendidly waterproof but not terribly comfortable, particularly when wearing light layers. Nothing is more important than comfort, so it got punted on.

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
I have owned all sorts of kit over the years. Osprey is without doubt a leader in the quality stakes. Genuinely. Not cheap, but it’s a stayer. And well thought out details.
I was a big fan of Osprey after buying a Tempest for hiking on holiday a number of years ago. Great backpack and still going strong.

On the back of that, I bought an Escapist 32 three years ago for general daily use. Superb bag - lots of features and pockets, and spacious. However, in the last 5 months the internal lining has started to come off, resulting in everything that goes in the bag being covered in black 'dandruff'. Osprey claims this is a result of the bag not being dried properly after it gets wet, so it's not covered under warranty. However, I've used the raincover any time it's raining, so this doesn't wash as an explanation.

But tough luck for me - that's their explanation and my very expensive bag is now an utter messy pain, which I'm getting so annoyed with that I'm considering replacing it with something from another manufacturer very soon.

It's really soured my impression of Osprey, so I guess it's a case of caveat emptor if you buy from them.

Deuter bags for cycling though - can't fault them. Superb - I have two and even though they regularly got/get wet (caught in unexpected rain, and wet before I can stop and get the raincover out), there's never been any hint of de-lamination of the lining after almost 10 years of use between them both (Race EXP Air and Bike One).

vickster

Legendary Member
Yes
I'm sure that's the case in some instances, but there seems to be a propensity to backpack-carry even when other options are possible.
yes, I can only think it’s to keep the bike as light as possible and a backpack is easier off the bike for commuting. For example I tried bike/tube/walk and found carrying my rack bag /pannier with laptop and other paraphernalia hard for the walk due to weight and awkwardness and need to look at other options

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Yes

yes, I can only think it’s to keep the bike as light as possible and a backpack is easier off the bike for commuting. For example I tried bike/tube/walk and found carrying my rack bag /pannier with laptop and other paraphernalia hard for the walk due to weight and awkwardness and need to look at other options
I think I'd probably be a pariah, you'd likely see me using a single pannier like an Ortlieb or Thule, both of whom do pretty elegant commuter bags that happen to clip to a rack, iyswim.

vickster

Legendary Member
I think I'd probably be a pariah, you'd likely see me using a single pannier like an Ortlieb or Thule, both of whom do pretty elegant commuter bags that happen to clip to a rack, iyswim.
It’s still heavy to carry everything in a single pannier on one arm or shoulder (esp when one has musculoskeletal issues, think it’s contributed to me putting my neck out :rolleyes:). A backpack is more balanced but I won’t ride any distance with one especially with a hard sharp cornered laptop in

Top Bottom