Commuting - Rucksack Choices

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

icowden

Veteran
May be this is the wrong answer but I had to ride 3 miles to work on a spare bike last winter with a rucksack and had a sopping wet back in seconds. I would always avoid anything on my back

I don't have quite such a sweaty back, and the Osprey has a massive spiel about the clever technology it has implemented to reduce soggy backage, but if it's hot, you still get a bit of a soggy back. As Heltor said, though, if it is your thing the Osprey quality is top notch.

RoadRider400

Some bloke that likes cycling alone
Might be a little late to the party but somebody else might be looking for suggestions in future.
No need to spend more than £30 for a bag that meets your goals.
I have a 2 Karrimor backpacks for commuting, and pick the size depending on how much im carrying that day. Not one for the brand snobs but I have had them for about 4 years and still going. The Urban 30 should be big enough for you if the laptop isnt huge. I dont think its sold as waterproof but I have commuted in some heavy rain and never had any issues. You could also buy something smaller for days you carry less.
Suggest leaving shoes at work. Why carry them back and forth?

OP
OP
dhd.evans

dhd.evans

Veteran
Suggest leaving shoes at work. Why carry them back and forth?

9 times out of 10 i do, but occasionally i have to commute to another site (e.g. Dundee to St Andrews) for work meaning i need to pack full kit, wash stuff and towel.

Also, Thursday I go straight to my young lad's football from work so need to have boots in my bag!

OP
OP
dhd.evans

dhd.evans

Veteran
Alright, new specs:

- Needs to hold shirt, trousers, towel.
- Needs to have waist and chest straps
- Frame to avoid sweaty bag preferable
- Top out at £50 for price

Go!

vickster

Legendary Member
How big a towel? ;) What type of material for trousers? Long or short sleeved short? ;)

Come on, if you can’t be arsed to do your own research, at least provide all the required info :tongue:

Oh and assume you mean sweaty back or are you worried about the bag getting sweaty...if the latter, you need a rack and panniers...not something worn against a sweaty stinky bloke body :tongue:

Last edited:

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
I use a dHb Slice 30L - which is £40 at Wiggle

Lots of pockets for storage and can hold a bladder too
Built in Waterproof cover

Ticks all your boxes, except the frame.

Last edited:
OP
OP
dhd.evans

dhd.evans

Veteran
How big a towel? ;) What type of material for trousers? Long or short sleeved short? ;)

Come on, if you can’t be arsed to do your own research, at least provide all the required info :tongue:

Oh and assume you mean sweaty back or are you worried about the bag getting sweaty...if the latter, you need a rack and panniers...not something worn against a sweaty stinky bloke body :tongue:

Trousers are standard office M&S malarkey, towel is big enough to cover a 14st bloke ;)

Genuinely though, I've functioned with Aldi specials for years but I think coming up for my 10 year commuting anniversary I should be treating myself to something with slightly more longevity!

I was looking through the Osprey collection and, honestly, i think this might be the one.
I use a dHb Slice 30L - which is £40 at Wiggle

Lots of pockets for storage and can hold a bladder too
Built in Waterproof cover

Ticks all your boxes, except the frame.

I have a lot of dhb kit which i'm really keen on (hats and tops) for value for money but the frame is the kicker, otherwise i'd be kitted out head to toe in dhb!

I think I got my Deuter for £58 and it does all that you've noted above. Just keep an eye out on: https://www.deutergb.co.uk/products/clearance/

I had a good look at Deuter bags; honestly? they look awesome, they seem functional but the price per square inch is exorbitant. That said, if folk here can hand or heart say "Worth the money, totally and utterly" i tend to take fellow CCer's advice on board!

Sixmile

Veteran
I had a good look at Deuter bags; honestly? they look awesome, they seem functional but the price per square inch is exorbitant. That said, if folk here can hand or heart say "Worth the money, totally and utterly" i tend to take fellow CCer's advice on board!

I can say that I'm really happy with mine that I purchased around 3 years ago now. I'm raging though that I've got a big dirty oily mark on the front of it after winging it into the boot with my bike one winters night. I've taken it on week long trips, overnighters and regularly commute with it. The guys that I went to Holland with for a tour had Osprey bags and they were happy with them too and to be honest, they seemed like cracking bags but I think they paid more like £80 for the same 'spec' if you will.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
I haven't any personal experience of Lomo products, but their panniers have had a bit of a bad rep on the motorcycle forums i use. With seams splitting and general poor quality.
So from what i've read, I wouldn't trust their stuff for carrying something as expensive as a laptop.

Another one who is dissatisfied with a Lomo product. I've got one of their panniers. Oh, it's waterproof alright. The seams are absolutely fine despite stuffing the thing full of laptop, charger, clothes, an occasional bottle of wine, and so on.

But the fixings might as well be made of cheese: self-tapping screws into plastic hex nuts. The first one failed in a week or two. I thought it was an assembly error, retightened it, but a month later had problems with most of the fixings working loose.

Had to replace them all with M4 bolts, washers and nuts; all metal. Not a hint of a problem since, but the initial experience was terrible.

Top Bottom