Confused about shoes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Stew9021

Hi guys,

I come to you in desperation at my apparent inability to figure out the complexities of buying a new pair of shoes .....

Got my first bike 9 months ago (cheapo mongoose mtb) and have steadily become addicted, going from a 4 mile a day commuter, to minimum 12 miles a day during the week and as much time as I can mucking about in the woods and general off road as I can at the weekend.

Anyway, long story short I have continued to buy parts for/upgrade my bike pretty regularly since getting it but I cannot for the life of me figure out cycling shoes...from what I understand most cycling shoes seem to have attachments on or in the sole for clips...now I have some decent enough, solid metal pedals, but I'm 99% certain they are not what you clip these things on to...then again if I don't want to clip myself in can I still wear these cycling shoes....apologies for the rambling but I have been researching this for 2 hours and am significantly more confused than when I started...help me fellow cyclists

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
If the shoes come with blanking plates instead of the actual clips, then you can wear them, although the screws holding the blanking plates on may be the first thing to wear out.

13 rider

Guru
Just to confuse you more there are two types of fittings SPD and SPD l . SPD shoes have a recess for the metal cleats which don't come with the shoes so can be worn without with no problems . Spdl have bolts in the bottom and would make walking difficult so not ideal . In my opinion you want SPD . You can just wear normal trainers if not Clipping in but softer soles so you lose a bit of power through the pedals . Try Aldi to see if they still have some SPD shoes left £20 so no big investment . I bought a pair last year still going strong if a bit tatty

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Soft soles are comfy but metal pedals will chew through them and can result in "hotspots" on longer rides if the pedal contact area is small. Stiff but flexible is Nirvana but it's all a balancing act between cycling and walking.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Soft soles are comfy but metal pedals will chew through them and can result in "hotspots" on longer rides if the pedal contact area is small. Stiff but flexible is Nirvana but it's all a balancing act between cycling and walking.
A flat MTB shoe should have a nice grippy sole but not too wearing and still a good amount of stiffness. Something like a fiveten freerider perhaps?
http://fiveten.com/products/bike/all-mountain-flats

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Long dull info post alert:

MTB cycling shoes invariably have thicker sole tread and a more trainer/utility shoe like appearance than road bike shoes (sleeker, more ballet pump like in appearance)

To go clipless if you wished, you need specific pedals with clips built in that retain the cleat which bolts into the bottom of the shoe. There are 2 basic types SPD (small metal arrowhead type with 2 bolts) and Look (bigger plastic triangles with 3 bolts), SPDs are Mountain Bike shoe type. There are some subdivisions of SPDs particularly but if you do consider going all the way, I'd suggest silver basic SPD cleat compatible pedals (£20/a pair & upwards) is what you should seek and shoes to match (again can be had for £15-20 in Aldi & Lidl and upwards from there through to silly money in more.recognised bike shops - I have a Lidl pair and they are surprisingly good - I don't clip in with them.

Cycling shoes differ from regular shoes as they are stiff soled with an attachment piece under the ball of foot, on MTB (SPD) shoes this will be recessed slightly and under a rubber cover (either moulded in or held with the bolts you'd use for the cleats) and is where the above mentioned cleat bolts into. You can leave the cover plate in place and use the shoes on your normal pedals, the stiff sole still giving an advantage as it doesn't flex like a trainer for example and absorb your power and they remain intact and waterproof underneath.

SPD specific suggestions here:
If you do choose to try cleats then you'd cut out/unbolt the cover plate, fit the cleats, these usually come with but can be bought separately. Fit the pedals, Arrowhead points forwards, it is obvious on both pedals and cleats. There will be a small Allen bolt on the back.of the pedal clip with + & - , this regulates the spring tension on the clip, turn it to the - to enable easier twisting your foot out while getting used to them, this tension generally doesn't factor when actually pedalling so don't worry about your foot flying out mid pedal stroke.
There is some twist and fore/aft adjustment for the cleat in the sole too so that you can fine tune that for foot & knee comfort, when you're happy you are comfy then I'd suggest a dab of bathroom sealant into the grooves under the cleat in the shoes to save water getting in and making the shoes smelly and damaging them over time.

You can tighten the pedal clip tension up if you choose, it is personal preference, many just leave it on a slack setting.

You will at some point fall off because you fail to clip out or forget you are clipped in, this is a rite of passage for all cleated pedal users known as your clipless moment: when it happens, you must share it on here so we can all sympathise and not snigger honest, we've all done it.

Last.thing to say is that there are different schools of thought on the need and power advantages of being clipped in or not and the PITA of using them on a commute if it is very stop start, you'll lose nothing starting with a cheapish set up and seeing if it is for you, but if not then no worries, flat pedals are still perfectly good for making the bike wheels go round.

OP
OP
Stew9021

Stew9021

Thank you so much for your replies guys, I have soft trainers at the moment that are chewed to buggery so I need to do something, I like the idea of cycling shoes having stiff soles and being waterproof so maybe I will check out something with a blanking plate or recessed cleats

sanddancer

I bought my spd shoes from aldi for £20
The soles are chunky rubber and where the cleats bolt in there is a rubber pad bolted in there if you want to leave that in for riding without cleats ;)

20151024_212315.jpg

Top Bottom