Converting a MTB to a tourer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

aserota

Über Member
Hi all,

Im getting ready for some long summer cycles including LE to JOG and want to build myself something suitable for the ride. I currently have 3 bikes, which IMO arent really suited to this task.

I have a carbon road bike, with dura ace groupset, a Shimano XT rigid mountain bike and a fixed track bike.

I am comfortable on the road bike for long/ish distances, e.g. 80 miles in a day, although im looking for a more comfy ride for a longer distance over more days. As i am unhappy with the frame on my mtb i am very tempted to covert this into a tour, by getting a new frame (i should have one spare shortly) and switching over everything, excluding the wheels, handlebars and shifters.

Would it be fine to use all these components and change over tiagra stis (8 speed cog and triple)? and are there any other things i should consider?

I have a suitable frame, wheelset, full XT groupset (inc brakes), seatpost and saddle, which could be used.

Thanks

andym

Über Member
Would it be fine to use all these components and change over tiagra stis (8 speed cog and triple)? and are there any other things i should consider?

I'm not sure about the feasibility of mixing road STIs with an XT mech - but I could well be wrong. Also the brakes won't work properly (you'll need something called a Travelagent).

If you're on a budget then staying with flat bars (maybe fitting bar ends) might be the most cost-effective option - allowing you to simply swap over all of your existing kit. Otherwise bar end shifters work well in non-indexed mode (you'd need to fit long-pull brake levers).

If you aren't happy with the mountain bike, you're not going to want to use it as a tourer. Better to swap it for a tourer, IMO.

Yes but with distance bikes frame size is the most important thing!
If you feel it's wrong now, it'll still be wrong after you've changed the bars.

OP
OP
A

aserota

Über Member
Sorry i havent explained my idea too well

My current MTB has an unbranded frame, which is too small for me.

I would like to take the kit off the MTB; excluding the frame, handlebars, shifters and wheels and build up a new Road/Tourer.

Its just an idea, but i quite like the idea of an XT geared road bike for long laid back riding.

In which case, it's a good idea. Better to have gears too low as opposed to too high.
Still better to use barend/downtube shifters though. The front mech may not work properly with STI.

It'll save you a couple of quid if you find a frame with the same seat tube (internal and external) diameter so you can retain your front mech and seat post.

e-rider

crappy member
Apart from the frame being too small - you could do the LEJOG on the mtb; that's what I plan to do this summer (Sept.) . I will put some 26" touring tyres on and a rear pannier rack and maybe mudguards; and job done. It might not be as fast as a real tourer/road bike and a bit heavier, but it's not a race so who cares! It will be very strong though and comfortable because the handlebars are not too low.

jay clock

Massive member
If using panniers on an MTB check heel clearance. The 26" wheels are smaller so the panniers are further forward than on a road wheeled bike

PpPete

Legendary Member
chris667 said:
In which case, it's a good idea. .
Absolutely

chris667 said:
The front mech may not work properly with STI.
New front mechs are "relatively" cheap

Go for it..... one of the best ever tourers (IMHO but I know Chris667 agrees) - the 531 double butted Galaxy is essentially a slightly beefier road frame but with an MTB drivetrain.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
You might have problems putting the MTB wheels into a road frame - you'll have to move the cantilever bosses to re-align the brakes. If you intend to add drop bars then you'll get caught up in the front mech/chainset/STI compatibility maze. STI levers don't work with MTB front mechs and not all road mechs are compatible with MTB chain sets or indeed other road chain sets (it depend on the differences between large and middle rings amongst other things.)

it might be cheaper and a lot less hassle to look for a decent s/h tourer or hybrid. I got my Dawes Galaxy for £200 five or six years ago.

clownfishrob

Have a look at the thorn sherpa . You can buy just the frame and it will fit mountain bike 26" wheels. It also designed for touring and comes with all the necessary braze ons for adding panniers front and back , 3 bottle racks and cantilever brakes etc.

It's also built in steel rather than the usual aluminum alloy of mountain bikes so won't flex as much when loaded.

Top Bottom