Votes: 57 21.2%
  • I've been quaranteened

Votes: 19 7.1%
  • I personally know someone who has been diagnosed

Votes: 71 26.4%
  • Clear as far as I know

Votes: 150 55.8%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I wonder how many people have caught one of the seasonal bugs that lockdown has reduced immunity to, as they didn't build up the normal defense through exposure, and call it covid because they test positive for some other reason.

I did ask the experts in the field that question, and they said that they have absolutely no way of knowing, but it is very feasible.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I wonder how many people have caught one of the seasonal bugs that lockdown has reduced immunity to, as they didn't build up the normal defense through exposure, and call it covid because they test positive for some other reason.

I did ask the experts in the field that question, and they said that they have absolutely no way of knowing, but it is very feasible.

"Positive for some other reason" That would be a false positive, then. What's the false +ve rate for LFTs? (Genuine Q, I don't know)

Edit. I had a quick read around and the false positive rate is very low indeed. So this is nothing to be concerned about.

Last edited:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I've got this as there's a chance I could be still ill next Wednesday, when I'm supposed to be taking six days' leave. The probability is I'll still take the leave and am aiming to do some work from home Mon/Tues - I've an exam board to chair Tuesday but cover is in place if I can't do it.

You really shouldn’t be working if ill. It’s not good for your health and not a wise move to make.

An Apology.
I have very different views on the subject of Covid from many of my fellow posters on this forum.
My opinions, right or wrong, are based on my lived experience, formed attitude and approach to living.
My life is not your life.
I will refrain from further comment on the subject of Covid.
Cyclechat.net is one of my favourite forums, I intend to carry on enjoying it.
David W.

Absolute muppet. Three weeks in hospital - those poor nurses putting up with you but denies having had it and carrying on with the behavior that probably got him sick in the first place.

Does Covid also rot the brain ?

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
You really shouldn’t be working if ill. It’s not good for your health and not a wise move to make.

Today's work will be: e-mail back three pre-done reports. And decide whether to not chair an exam board tomorrow or not. That will be all :okay: *

* technically I'd finished my year's annualised hours schedule mid-March due to having to do a pile of overtime, so I'm picking up bits and pieces until September.

Day 7: progress. The test's starting to show a slightly fainter line, rather than the walloping great one it's shown for a week. Temperature's almost gone but I'm still coughing like an 80-a-day smoker despite the medication they've put me on. Breathing's still not great though.

Son no. 2 is fine at day 4, it's like a cold for him.

SWMBO is almost fine at day 2, you'd not know she was ill yesterday.

Last edited:
BIL and SIL have had it for a week now. Mate of mine has been to a tournament abroad and about half the people there have caught it and it's probably developing in the rest of them. It's very contagious at the moment - new strain perhaps ?

I've still not got it and don't want to either!

Definitely this.
I hated that add for Beachams super max flu powder's or whatever it was that made out you could have them and get back to work with the flu.

I've only had flu the once and I was wiped out for a fortnight. Absolutely zero chance of working.

Rest up and your recovery will be quicker.

vickster

Legendary Member
BIL and SIL have had it for a week now. Mate of mine has been to a tournament abroad and about half the people there have caught it and it's probably developing in the rest of them. It's very contagious at the moment - new strain perhaps ?

I've still not got it and don't want to either!

Yes, new Omicron strains.
Friend of mine has it for the first time

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I'm gradually coming to the conclusion that I did have Corona just before the first lockdown.

I was wiped out for several days with wild temperature swings - from fever to shivering and sweating absolute buckets. Exhausted and sleeping most of the time. Lasted about 3 or 4 days. The reason I didn't think it was Corona at the time was that there were absolutely no respiratory symptoms. Breathing was fine but I did have some strange problems with taste. It wasn't that I lost my sense of taste but certain things were completely unappetising and I thought they must be mouldy or off. I was fine after about a week.

The other complicating factor was that it all started on a Sunday/Monday, and on the Saturday I had crashed quite badly, so with initial symptoms we were concerned about possible concussion.

But now knowing how variable symptoms can be, and bearing in mind that I was riding the tube/bus right up til the Friday makes me think it may well have been Corona. Not that it makes any difference to anything now, two years on.

geocycle

Legendary Member
Got a streaming cold, tested negative but suspicious none the less. I plodded round my Sunday ride at 18.5 kph so I need to blame something for the lethargy!

Slick

Guru
The same way I do, from that page.

While the employer can't force you to use annual leave while off sick, you can do so.

Also,

Screenshot_20220704-174247_Chrome.jpg

Rezillo

TwoSheds
In the past week, I've tested positive as has Mrs R, plus niece and fiance, two of our best friends, another couple we know and my sister. Apart from our niece and her fiance, all have fairly debilitating flu-type symptoms and are in their 60s, fully jabbed. My symptoms are just starting to improve after a week where I've largely been confined to bed.

This seems a remarkable strike rate given that we haven't met up with most of them for some weeks. In a flu season, I might know one or two people who have had flu but not everyone I've spoken to! I'm assuming I've got one of the new highly infectious variants. Hopefully, most people's symptoms will be limited but given the older age group, it is a little worrying for those who may be more susceptible. The gunk I've coughed up is something else but seems to have died down.

Top Bottom