Votes: 57 21.2%
  • I've been quaranteened

Votes: 19 7.1%
  • I personally know someone who has been diagnosed

Votes: 71 26.4%
  • Clear as far as I know

Votes: 150 55.8%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
SWMBO's Covid ward colleagues are saying the two new variants (BA.4/5) are highly contagious. Given lots of them are all off work having tested positive after 2+ years of OK I'm inclined to agree.

I'm on day 9 and testing positive still, recovering slowly. Son no. 2 tested negative today on day 6, SWMBO is on day 4 and OK.

Wasn't the long term projection that the variants will be increasingly contagious but less lethal?

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Wasn't the long term projection that the variants will be increasingly contagious but less lethal?

Think so, but an eminently qualified and not befuddled member can confirm/deny this.

Rezillo

TwoSheds

That is my understanding. However, if you have people with flu-like symptoms in high numbers in an older age group, there will be a percentage requiring hospital admission.

It's the usual covid problem of a small percentage of large numbers still being a large number. In other words, this could be a burden on the NHS even if the variants are less lethal and those admitted to hospital safely released after treatment.

The symptoms I've had have been no worse than 'normal' flu but certainly nothing like a cold. My niece and nephew in their late twenties just had a few cold-like snuffles and only tested because I had tested positive and we had met up.

Rezillo

TwoSheds
Today is the first day that I’m feeling almost normal after three and a half weeks of symptoms. I’m not 100% yet, but at last the feeling of dizziness and legs like jelly has worn off.
(I’m late 50’s, triple vaccinated, and had managed to avoid it up until now).
Oh, that is bad luck.

Amazon delivery just now and our dialog at the door went:

"Don't get too close - I've got"

"Covid?"

"Yes"

"as has everyone else, it seems"

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
not had covid, never had symptons of covid and never tested for covid

BUT

i never broke any rules, i stayed isolated with my partner ( who has fibromyalgia and a heart defect ) for nearly all the two years of various lockdowns, i permenantley work from home, i have my food shopping delivered and if i do go into stores/chemists then i still wear a face mask, to ensure my partners illness doesnt suffer or that she doesnt get it from myself......not seen my parents physically in two years and my inlaws who live 2 doors away, we only talk over the fence

Tom...

Guru
not had covid, never had symptons of covid and never tested for covid

BUT

i never broke any rules, i stayed isolated with my partner ( who has fibromyalgia and a heart defect ) for nearly all the two years of various lockdowns, i permenantley work from home, i have my food shopping delivered and if i do go into stores/chemists then i still wear a face mask, to ensure my partners illness doesnt suffer or that she doesnt get it from myself......not seen my parents physically in two years and my inlaws who live 2 doors away, we only talk over the fence

How do you know you haven't had it if you've never tested for it? :wacko:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner

What if you measure resting HR and HRV every single day. Let’s say you exercise every day or every other day and that includes heart rate and power data on the bike. Let’s include exercise that pushes you up to 90% or more of your max heart rate. You have a good understanding of your RPE and how that ties to your heart rate response and power output.

I would posit that you can’t have Covid-19 without it showing up in any of your daily data especially if you have a long and well established baseline.

Reactions: C R

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Yes to the bold bit because new variants can only establish by being more contagious than existing strains. Simple maths.

Not sure about the last bit. Alpha & Delta were both more virulent (lethal) than the Wuhan strain, so it's quite possible a future variant could be even worse.

Tom...

Guru
What if you measure resting HR and HRV every single day. Let’s say you exercise every day or every other day and that includes heart rate and power data on the bike. Let’s include exercise that pushes you up to 90% or more of your max heart rate. You have a good understanding of your RPE and how that ties to your heart rate response and power output.

I would posit that you can’t have Covid-19 without it showing up in any of your daily data especially if you have a long and well established baseline.

Let's be realistic.

Alex321

Veteran

Well if he's never had symptoms, and has stayed permanently isolated, not much chance he's had it.
Most of us have only ever tested if showing symptoms.

Personally, I did have a several month phase of testing weekly because I was meeting others for Morris practice and we agreed we would all test before each practice. Ironically, when I finally caught COVID three weeks ago, it appears to have been from a Morris event, and more half the side went down with it.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Wrong.

How would you know it's Covid-19, and not a cold/flu or any other ailment?

Because you have absolutely zero symptoms or indication that anything is off, despite the long history of data from before and leading all the way through the pandemic. You haven’t been ill once , during the whole period.

Thats how you know it’s not a cold or flu because you’ve had nothing even close to those symptoms either, not a hint of it. You haven’t been ill once.

Top Bottom