Votes: 57 21.2%
  • I've been quaranteened

Votes: 19 7.1%
  • I personally know someone who has been diagnosed

Votes: 71 26.4%
  • Clear as far as I know

Votes: 150 55.8%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ajax Bay

Guru
In short yes it can be the likelihood of death is much lower but you can still get pretty sick from its effects. Which may or may not require medical intervention. With or without a vaccination long covid can not be ruled out the effects of which are still not fully understood.

Tom - welcome back. You disappeared 19 months ago, just as the January 2021 wave was decreasingly exponentially (partly due to the Government imposed New Year lockdown). Delighted you made it through that, the amazingly sucessful vaccination campaign, the sensible, phased approach to relaxing the restrictions April to July 2021, and the general NPIs since then. Hope you've got out on your bike for 1000s of miles.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
Only if you look at the Act with the left hand button set to "Original(as enacted)".

If you click the "Latest Available", those provisions have been removed.

As enacted
https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1984/22/part/II/crossheading/public-conveyances/enacted

Latest Available
https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1984/22/part/II/crossheading/public-conveyances
Exactly.

It's a bit like saying the text of the Magna Carta is on the Internet, so it all still applies.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Indie SAGE yesterday
From ONS data, assessed infection rate (14 days ago) about 3 in 100 across UK, and set to fall. Hospital admissions are lower than a couple of weeks ago but still nearly 1000 a day (NB about 62% with (incidental) and 38% because of) (primarily)).
Vaccine autumn booster uptake: over 75s = 76%, 65-74 = 63%, 50-64 = 45% (latter have only been eligible since 16 Oct) Concern that the 'willing' have mostly had it and further take-up will slow.
Variants: About a third now BQ.1 but most still BA.5 (all Omicron). Implications: unclear.
Flu:
1667030335972.png

Note:
1) Dash-dot-dash (with peak) is winter 18-19 (late peak in Feb),
2) dots is 19-20 (before COVID-19 had any traction with peak on NYD),
3) dash-dot-dash is extraordinarily low (x-axis) is 20-21 during COVID-19 peak (Delta variant), and
4) dashes is 21-22 during COVID-19 peak (Omicron variant). Trangles are this autumn, so 'trajectory' well above recent previous years (could assume loss of immunity from two seasons of low exposure).

RoadRider400

Some bloke that likes cycling alone
Apart from the vulnerable; is covid really a big deal for anyone that is up to date with their jabs?

It's very much way in the background of our life tbh.

Personally it has been out of my mind for a good while. I decided that I was done after two jabs. Tend to go to the gym a couple of times a week at peak times so I expect I have been exposed to one variant or another since I last got poked in the arm.

Oh, I also caught it before the jabs were around. I presume the hardcore alpha version and other than no sense of smell and a cough that lasted an eternity I was fine.

Last edited:

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Mum's care home is back in lockdown, so only 1 visitor at a time. And preferably with an LFT; although not compulsory! Although compulsory for staff.
Some visitors are apparent demanding the home provide them with LFTs otherwise they won't test. WTF! Societal responsibility?
Daughter 2 has a part time job in a care home run by a different company. Similar situation there.

Slick

Guru
Mum's care home is back in lockdown, so only 1 visitor at a time. And preferably with an LFT; although not compulsory! Although compulsory for staff.
Some visitors are apparent demanding the home provide them with LFTs otherwise they won't test. WTF! Societal responsibility?
Daughter 2 has a part time job in a care home run by a different company. Similar situation there.
Hopefully that's not true, but anyone demanding anything should hang their head in shame.

Alex321

Veteran
Hopefully that's not true, but anyone demanding anything should hang their head in shame.

Well they aren't avaiable for free any more (except for some special circumstances), and not all pharmacies stock them. It isn't easy for everybody to get hold of LFT packs now.

Stephenite

Membå
We've had a new round of Covid here at home.

First, I came down with what I was calling a bad cold, or the 'flu, last week. Which led to a couple of days off work and a day in bed. I didn't take a test - it just didn't occur to me. Then, at the start of the week, the SO and the kids became ill. The SO/gf made an over-the-phone appointment with her GP, and took a LFT prior to the call which showed a, very definite, second red line. The boy took a test which resulted in a faint line, and the girl showed negative. As did I. We've all had similar symptoms with the kids less so. It hasn't been as bad this time around and no loss of smell and taste, thank goodness.

What has been odd though is going in to work with (probably) Covid. I phoned in on the way there when the rest of the family first tested positive and I still had symptoms. I know the company policy is to treat the illness just as you would any other 'airway infection' but i wanted someone else to check for any new update i may have missed. So, this week I've been apologising for not being able to fist bump, shake your hand, snog you, etc. because I very likely have Corona. Today, I was working in a department with a young chap who i know is 'at risk'. When i explained to him the situation he became visibly worried and was quickly off to a neighbouring department. A little later i went for a chat (part work-related, part FPL-related) with a couple of chaps in another area and found out there was girl nearby who was also 'at risk'.

I am now worried for these people, and I don't think my company has thought through the implications of allowing known Corona-carriers to work/wander around in close proximity of, sharing the same pc/tools, etc. with, colleagues, especially those who may be at risk. I'll send an email to, and call, the relevant decision makers on Monday with my concerns, and see if we can ought to come up with some guidelines for the coming few months.

Anyway, me and the family are all on the mend. :smile:

Alex321

Veteran
Poor excuse in my humble opinion.

If any setting like a care home requests you test to help them keep everyone safe, then for the love of God, test.

And these people are saying they will - provided they are supplied with the test to do it. Nobody is refusing to test AFAIK. Some are saying they need to be given a test to be able to.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
And these people are saying they will - provided they are supplied with the test to do it. Nobody is refusing to test AFAIK. Some are saying they need to be given a test to be able to.
The feedback I have had is that some visitors will only do LFTs if they are free to them. If they have to pay for them they will not do them. To the best of my knowledge, availability is not the issue.
Daughter 2 is provided with LFTs by the home where she works P/T. But the home buys these in bulk and they are for staff use only as they are expected to test before attending the home. If +ve, you don't go to work. I assume a similar situation re the supply of LFTs to staff occurs at the home where my Mum lives.
One of my Mum's main carers told my sister staff cannot work if +ve, yet they are helpless to stop someone who may be +ve.
Potentially the care of every resident is put at risk by this selfish behaviour.

Ajax Bay

Guru
We've had a new round of Covid here at home.
I am now worried for these people, and I don't think my company has thought through the implications of allowing known Corona-carriers to work/wander around in close proximity of, sharing the same pc/tools, etc. with, colleagues, especially those who may be at risk. I'll send an email to, and call, the relevant decision makers on Monday with my concerns, and see if we can ought to come up with some guidelines for the coming few months.
Anyway, me and the family are all on the mend. :smile:
Glad all are getting better (or have got better). Ready for the early snow and, in due course, getting up to Holmenkollen skiløype.
"A new round of Covid" - up from 20 confirmed cases per million then?
Addressing the 'confirmed' issue: for UK the graph below shows a case incidence of 1 in 10,000 whereas the ONS assessment is infections running at 1 in 30. See also 'no general testing'.
1667154907648.png

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Has anyone experienced muscle discomfort during and after a covid bout?

I developed a feeling in my thigh muscles that I had overdone physical exercise which has faded a bit over the last couple of weeks. This started the day before I tested positive. Having been digging potatoes I initially blamed that but I dig potatoes often with no after effects.
I had a similar feeling once in the past which was diagnosed as polymyalgia rheumatica and took a long time to clear up.

Perhaps this should be in the health and fitness section?

Top Bottom