Votes: 57 21.2%
  • I've been quaranteened

Votes: 19 7.1%
  • I personally know someone who has been diagnosed

Votes: 71 26.4%
  • Clear as far as I know

Votes: 150 55.8%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Piece about my LBS in the local news. I think Henry was on the radio yesterday as well, talking about the NHS deal. Free service, helmet, jacket and lights for NHS workers. As he mentions in the article, his wife is an infectious diseases nurse so rest assured, they are taking infection control measures very seriously.

https://www.thestar.co.uk/business/...ining-open-and-keeping-community-move-2525471

stephec

Legendary Member
I've just found out that a little old lady five doors away from me has died.

An ambulance was called for her last week but she was told it was normal flu and sent home.

Another one had to be called yesterday and she was kept in hospital but died this morning, first one so far that's been anywhere near to me.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
The nosey neighbour was watching as i came back from my daily exercise. Yes,i know some might say that i'm watching him,as i wouldn't know he was watching me if i wasn't watching him,watching me etc etc,:wacko: but i just happened to glance at his blinds(yes,to see if he was looking admittedly:rolleyes:) almost shut kitchen window and noticed his silhouette,with hands on hips. No doubt he'll have been watching and waiting for me. I think in his previous life he'll have been an informant for the KGB or the Gestapo!:smile:

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
RIP my Uncle John, apparently due to the Corona virus. I haven't seen him in years as he lived on the south coast, but I do have some really nice memories of him. He gave me a beautiful cut stone crystal bookend set for my 16th birthday which I still have now.

I remember him asking me if it was OK, as it wasn't something a 16 year old lad would usually get on his birthday. I told him right then and I still think now it was a brilliant gift.

tom73

Guru
Piece about my LBS in the local news. I think Henry was on the radio yesterday as well, talking about the NHS deal. Free service, helmet, jacket and lights for NHS workers. As he mentions in the article, his wife is an infectious diseases nurse so rest assured, they are taking infection control measures very seriously.

https://www.thestar.co.uk/business/...ining-open-and-keeping-community-move-2525471

Yep he was on the breakfast show. Well what’s left of it at the moment.
Sounded like a top bloke.

Stephenite

Membå
One of my brothers, and his wife and kids, back in blighty have it. Not tested but the doc says it can't be anything else. Brother and the kids are on the mend but sis in law (40) is poorly, though not hospitalized.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Still ok, no family members have it to my knowledge.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I've just heard a caller on the local radio phone in moan about people abusing the allowed exercise and food and medicine shopping trips out their homes. He said. quote...'I'm out walking trying to get some exercise,while people are flying past me running,or on their bikes,abusing the law'.Oh the irony!:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Is it possible to have a test to find out how strong your immune system is? If we knew if it was either good,average,or poor it would help,regarding going outside,avoiding folk,wiping down surfaces etc.My thoughts are that even if there is one,it wouldn't be made widely available,as the government wouldn't want to encourage complacency from anyone tested to find they have a very good immune system and then go on to ignore advice about not passing the virus on to those with a high chance of dying from it. Have i answered my own question?

Last edited:

Rocky

Hello decadence
Is it possible to have a test to find out how strong your immune system is? If we knew if it was either good,average,or poor it would help,regarding going outside,avoiding folk,wiping down surfaces etc.My thoughts are that even if there is one,it wouldn't be made widely available,as the government wouldn't want to encourage complacency from anyone tested to find they have a very good immune system and then go on to ignore advice about not passing the virus on to those with a high chance of dying from it. Have i answered my own question?
I have a theory, and it’s only a theory, that those with weak immune systems are better off. The virus is new and so we won’t have immunity to it however strong our system is. What causes the problems, in the second week of infection, is the interstitial pneumonia and if you had a weak immune system you might not mount such a severe reaction, which is what has killed many people.

My theory is unproven and I wouldn’t recommend that anyone weakens their immune system to test it out......

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I have a theory, and it’s only a theory, that those with weak immune systems are better off. The virus is new and so we won’t have immunity to it however strong our system is. What causes the problems, in the second week of infection, is the interstitial pneumonia and if you had a weak immune system you might not mount such a severe reaction, which is what has killed many people.

My theory is unproven and I wouldn’t recommend that anyone weakens their immune system to test it out......

Severity of infections and mortality seems to be related to low levels of CD3, CD4, and CD8 lymphocytes. The opposite of your theory.

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.03.08.20031229v2

This would make sense as these decline in an aging sedentary population.

Rocky

Hello decadence
Severity of infections and mortality seems to be related to low levels of CD3, CD4, and CD8 lymphocytes. The opposite of your theory.

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.03.08.20031229v2

This would make sense as these decline in an aging sedentary population.
Although one of the complications with the pneumonia in the second week comes from the cytokine storm which happens to some patients. Having a depressed immune system might help.....although with this, the patient, as you point out might be sicker anyhow. I’m sure in the fullness of time we’ll learn the answer.

Top Bottom