Votes: 57 21.2%
  • I've been quaranteened

Votes: 19 7.1%
  • I personally know someone who has been diagnosed

Votes: 71 26.4%
  • Clear as far as I know

Votes: 150 55.8%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Although one of the complications with the pneumonia in the second week comes from the cytokine storm which happens to some patients. Having a depressed immune system might help.....although with this, the patient, as you point out might be sicker anyhow. I’m sure in the fullness of time we’ll learn the answer.

Depressed immune system allows the virus to replicate unchecked to start with. I would not put the storm down as having a strong immune system. I’d put it down to a defective or ineffective one. Such as defective lymphocytes. But time will tell.

The answers will come after the pandemic is over. But decline in immune system function would explain the age difference mortality.

We are both speculating however, and perhaps leave it till researchers in immunology have the answers.

The advice is that if you are immune compromised to self isolate.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Did my first pharmacy run for my neighbour. High risk as she is a transplant patient with COPD on top ! Her meds were running out following a change in dose, and the CV19 volunteer had already been to the pharmacy without luck that morning, so I went back, initially got the she's got a delivery tomorrow, double checked, no she needs the drugs for this evening - you said you had some - got 8 tablets after a lengthy wait.

The pharmacy situation is a nightmare, I spent an hour and a half queuing. There were 3 folk in front of me at one and 5 at another - all 'outside queues'.

I've told her to let her other neighbour I'll pop out if they need anything as she's just had cancer. Both seem OK with on-line shopping and family, but I've offered.

Bob the nob's family are driving those two neighbours to distraction (their houses are next door - I'm 200 yards away) and they've been spotted going out all the time - rules don't apply to us type of family.

Jimidh

Veteran
I’m at home on my first proper day off in 3 weeks. Community pharmacy has been overwhelmed by the situation mostly by people, understandably but needlessly ordering medication that they don’t need.
Medicine supply chain still intact but was creaking at the seams last two weeks.
Chill out day for me - cut the grass. Ride my bike and a couple of beers on a Zoom chat with my usual pub buddies.
Then back to work again tomorrow.

Julia9054

Guru
I’m at home on my first proper day off in 3 weeks. Community pharmacy has been overwhelmed by the situation mostly by people, understandably but needlessly ordering medication that they don’t need.
Medicine supply chain still intact but was creaking at the seams last two weeks.
Chill out day for me - cut the grass. Ride my bike and a couple of beers on a Zoom chat with my usual pub buddies.
How do you order medication you don’t need if it comes on prescription? Is that down to GPs signing scripts that they shouldn’t?

Jimidh

Veteran
How do you order medication you don’t need if it comes on prescription? Is that down to GPs signing scripts that they shouldn’t?
yes that’s the case - think they have been overwhelmed too so the they don’t have time to go through them all and weed out all the early ones. Think it’s happening now as things have calmed down.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Possibly panic ordering. Most folk on prescription don't really have much in reserve - i.e. a day or two, and if a delivery is late, or they order late, might be a bit scuppered (like my neighbour - change in dose, more tablets used before next prescription comes through). Must be worrying for those on essential prescriptions.

tom73

Guru
What's not helped is that a number of drugs have "magically" gone into short supply with no word on when stock will improve.
Pushing up the price or leaving no option but to re issue scripts for the more expensive version.

Jimidh

Veteran
What's not helped is that a number of drugs have "magically" gone into short supply with no word on when stock will improve.
Pushing up the price or leaving no option but to re issue scripts for the more expensive version.
Prices have certainly gone through the roof which will be another huge cost to the NHS. It’s amazing how much ‘short supply’ stock is available but at a price.

Julia9054

Guru
Just been up to Boots to collect my inhaler. Out of stock - a manufacturing problem. Pharmacist was really rude. “Its down to people with mild asthma suddenly ordering their preventer inhalers who don’t normally take them”
I pointed out that I have been on combination inhaler therapy for years because I really need it.
”Yeah well, they all say that” was her response.
Now trying to contact my GP. I have 3 day’s worth left.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Just been up to Boots to collect my inhaler. Out of stock - a manufacturing problem. Pharmacist was really rude. “Its down to people with mild asthma suddenly ordering their preventer inhalers who don’t normally take them”
I pointed out that I have been on combination inhaler therapy for years because I really need it.
Obviously not something you should have to do or maybe even want to, but if you are stuck?

https://www.theindependentpharmacy.co.uk/asthma

tom73

Guru

Not a surprise many have never been to charm school. Then they wonder why more are going to online options.

Top Bottom