Votes: 57 21.2%
  • I've been quaranteened

Votes: 19 7.1%
  • I personally know someone who has been diagnosed

Votes: 71 26.4%
  • Clear as far as I know

Votes: 150 55.8%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
On my drive home from the laundry and the shop tonight i thought i'd break the rules and make a non essential journey. I drove on a country lane,just to pass a bit of time and run my car up etc. I had to swerve abruptly because some scumbag had bailed what looked like settee seats/cushions onto the road! Then further along i saw more crap in the road and also 3 piles of builders rubble etc. I've heard the tips are closed,so this scummy action will obviously be on the rise! Why haven't they kept the official recycling centres/tips open? They must've known fly tipping would increase if/when they closed the places!!

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...p-rubbish-near-Lancashire-beauty-spot-UK.html

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
On my drive home from the laundry and the shop tonight i thought i'd break the rules and make a non essential journey. I drove on a country lane,just to pass a bit of time and run my car up etc. I had to swerve abruptly because some scumbag had bailed what looked like settee seats/cushions onto the road! Then further along i saw more crap in the road and also 3 piles of builders rubble etc. I've heard the tips are closed,so this scummy action will obviously be on the rise! Why haven't they kept the official recycling centres/tips open? They must've known fly tipping would increase if/when they closed the places!!

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...p-rubbish-near-Lancashire-beauty-spot-UK.html
Although it could be considered non essential, a tip would be easy to organise for social distancing id have thought. But saying that, people dump crap even when the tips are open. A few are just lost causes....

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
My favourite YouTuber was ill for a week. She said she does not know if it was Coronavirus, but she had the symptoms. J.K. Rowling said she had symptoms for 14 days. One wonders how many people really have had it. Here in Reading there has currently been 111 reported cases out of a population of about 180,000, but it seems like there is a lot more of it about than that.

lane

Veteran
I have just been reading an article in the telegraph from 29th March. Don't know how reliable it is obviously. But based on various data including deaths, they say that in parts of London the number infected might be 1 in 6 and in Birmingham 1 in 23. I had seen a report previously that the medical officer thought it was between 3 and 5% of the population was infected so roughly between 1 in 30 and 1 in 20.

The Government are talking about trying to keep deaths below 20,000 and if the fatality rate is 1% that would be 2 million people infected which is 1 in 30. The fatality rate might well be lower (hopefully) so I reckon 1 in 20 to 1 in 30 people infected looks reasonable although there are a lot of unknowns obviously.

Since they have only been testing people who end up in hospital and the vast majority don't the number infected will inevitably be much higher than the reported numbers.

Edit - until we get the antibody tests we won't know the actual answer

Because there are still many idiots who don't take this virus seriously, I think it is time for Boris to declare Martial law and a curfew from 6pm to 8pm. Get the Army on patrol, armed of course , and tanks blocking main road access to towns and tourist places. I would like to see a camper van trying to get past.
Why don't people realise that the only way to beat Coronavirus is to isolate everyone? It is worth the hardship for a while if we want to get back to normality very soon.
bonkers.
Have you done the sums?
How many tanks do you think we have got?
(not counting Bovington tank museum)

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Why is the taxpayer expected to bail out 4 times billionaire Branson?!
https://www.latimes.com/business/story/2020-04-02/richard-branson-bailout
This 'we'll' pay 80% of your employees wages is widely open to abuse! Not just by mega wealthy football clubs expecting us to pay their tea lady's wages while their chairmen and footballers continue to suck up hundreds of thousands a week,but now many other very wealthy organisations are taking the piss!:thumbsdown:

Last edited:

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
So, my growing hatred for the turbo trainer apart (maybe not that bad, I’m doing and hour a day, five days a week), things could be a lot worse
You are doing better than me then. I do 45 minutes every other day, with the help of my laptop to keep me company. ^_^

GM

Legendary Member
As an update to my earlier comments about getting priority access to deliveries from the supermarkets, Tesco have identified me and given me priority, Waitrose is like a black hole; emails etc. go in, nothing comes out and Sainsbury’s won’t even let the emails go in. Despite their good words, the latter two have been hopeless. The local farm shop that we use have been great although they obviously can’t do everything. A near to local food wholeseller that supplies restaurants etc are doing home deliveries now; very useful for some things although they only do cheese in 4Kg lots and even I can’t see me getting though that very quickly. The pubs are doing take away meals which is great for many people but I’ll avoid as a precaution at least in the short term. And last, but not least, a local wine company is doing home deliveries

So, my growing hatred for the turbo trainer apart (maybe not that bad, I’m doing and hour a day, five days a week), things could be a lot worse

Same here, got priority access from Asda and Sainsbury's. Still waiting for Waitrose to respond. Got a delivery this Friday and again the following Friday.
Got a nice meat delivery two days after ordering from Godfrey's of Highgate, well impressed.

Rocky

Hello decadence
Same here, got priority access from Asda and Sainsbury's. Still waiting for Waitrose to respond. Got a delivery this Friday and again the following Friday.
Got a nice meat delivery two days after ordering from Godfrey's of Highgate, well impressed.
Well we are stuffed....the Prof has just had a text from the government saying (because she is on a cancer registry - as a result of her breast cancer 5 years ago) she can't go out for 12 weeks. She was then directed to the Govt website for Shielding to find that she doesn't qualify as a vulnerable person. So she can't go out and she can't get her shopping delivered........a sort of Covid Catch 22 situation.

GM

Legendary Member
Well we are stuffed....the Prof has just had a text from the government saying (because she is on a cancer registry - as a result of her breast cancer 5 years ago) she can't go out for 12 weeks. She was then directed to the Govt website for Shielding to find that she doesn't qualify as a vulnerable person. So she can't go out and she can't get her shopping delivered........a sort of Covid Catch 22 situation.

Ironically my SIL (Trish) is in the same position, she was told yesterday to stay in. It's a crazy situation I don't know what they expect you to do.

Give my regards to the Prof and Gravel, hope you all stay safe!

Rocky

Hello decadence
Ironically my SIL (Trish) is in the same position, she was told yesterday to stay in. It's a crazy situation I don't know what they expect you to do.

Give my regards to the Prof and Gravel, hope you all stay safe!
Thanks GM - likewise I hope you and yours stay safe :okay:

Reactions: GM

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
There are stories of people who can't get on the register in the media.

I've got two acquaintances who can't get on the register and one applied to the GP who declined it and they are raging everywhere with anger at the world. I think to be fair to the GP they probably don't qualify for what they said they do (which people can probably guess the condition we're talking about).

Top Bottom