Votes: 57 21.2%
  • I've been quaranteened

Votes: 19 7.1%
  • I personally know someone who has been diagnosed

Votes: 71 26.4%
  • Clear as far as I know

Votes: 150 55.8%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavgav

Guru
As a matter of interest @Bazzer (for their sister) (and others with recent illness which they've identified as from SARS-CoV-2 virus), how do you/they know? Are you/they using LFTs and if so are you buying these? If you have 'flu' symptoms, are you testing for flu, and if so how?
Comparison of the characteristics, morbidity, and mortality of COVID-19 and seasonal influenza
COVID-19 from original variant was found (Mar-Apr 2020) to be about 3 times more likely than influenza to result in death of those ill enough to be hospitalised. (My precis/edit)
Findings: 89 530 patients hospitalised (France). . . median age 68 and 71 [so similar] for COVID-19 and influenza. Patients with COVID-19 were more frequently obese or overweight, and more frequently had diabetes, hypertension, and dyslipidaemia than patients with influenza, whereas those with influenza more frequently had heart failure, chronic respiratory disease, cirrhosis, and deficiency anaemia. Patients admitted to hospital with COVID-19 more frequently developed acute respiratory failure, pulmonary embolism, septic shock, or haemorrhagic stroke than patients with influenza, but less frequently developed myocardial infarction or atrial fibrillation. In-hospital mortality was higher in patients with COVID-19 than in patients with influenza 16·9% 5·8%: a relative risk of death of 2·9 [age-standardised similar]
Interpretation: Patients with COVID-19 and seasonal influenza requiring hospitalisation differs considerably: SARS-CoV-2 is likely to have a higher potential for respiratory pathogenicity, leading to more respiratory complications and to higher mortality.

Omicron, combined with high levels of 'immunity' (from vaccines or prior infection), is less likely to lead to serious illness, aiui.
Also for IFP comparison (from NZ): https://www.bmj.com/content/371/bmj.m3883/rr

I have LFT’s through work, so tested that way.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
As a matter of interest @Bazzer (for their sister) (and others with recent illness which they've identified as from SARS-CoV-2 virus), how do you/they know? Are you/they using LFTs and if so are you buying these? If you have 'flu' symptoms, are you testing for flu, and if so how?
We both have a stock of bought LFTs, as does one of my daughters. Another daughter tests regularly for her casual work in a care home.
Our Mum/Grandma is in a care home and we take exposing her and other residents to infections seriously. So any if any of us feel unwell, not only do we not visit, but if Covid is suspected, we test.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
As a matter of interest @Bazzer (for their sister) (and others with recent illness which they've identified as from SARS-CoV-2 virus), how do you/they know? Are you/they using LFTs and if so are you buying these?

I had some of the free packs of LFT still left. Now down to about 10 LFTs. Only tested as had symptoms and was curious. Expected it to show as negative to be honest, as you wouldn’t tell difference between my Covid symptoms and what I’d get from a cold. I can’t comment on flu symptoms as never had the flu.

Ajax Bay

Guru
I had some of the free packs of LFT still left. Now down to about 10 LFTs. Only tested as had symptoms and was curious. Expected it to show as negative to be honest, as you wouldn’t tell difference between my Covid symptoms and what I’d get from a cold. I can’t comment on flu symptoms as never had the flu.
I'm in the same boat: a few LFTs left.
"I . . . as never had the flu." How do you know? Maybe that cold was flu?

Alex321

Veteran
You've not had flu then. It's much much worse than a cold.

I thought I had had flu before until I got flu.

I suspect it varies from person to person, just as COVID did. For many people, the symptoms of COVID were very much worse than a cold, for others (including me), it wasn't even a particularly severe cold.

I don't think I've ever had flu, but it is possible I have. I did have one "cold" when I was in university that was bad enough for me to take to my bed for two days. That is the only time in my life I have had one bad enough to do more than make me go to bed a few hours earlier than usual in the evening. But as I say, COVID for me had the symptoms of a fairly minor cold, for about 2 days (though I continued testing positive for 10 days).

gavgav

Guru
Negative LFT today, on day 8. Still fatigued and slightly breathless/tight chest at times. Managed a 10 minute walk today and so that’s a start.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Felt dreadful Sunday and tested positive. By Tuesday morning I was symptom free and today have nothing more than what feels like the tail end of a minor cold.

With a family Christmas coming up we've been checking current guidance. I was quite surprised by this. My wife is a highly experienced health professional so I'm confident in her research.

One is considered infectious for three days prior to testing positive. If one is symptom free five days after testing positive one can resume "normal" life without the need to take a second test or wait for a negative. If meeting with a vulnerable person mask wearing is advised.

This will mean I should be clear Friday morning. Frustrated as we've two consecutive days of great cycling weather.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Felt dreadful Sunday and tested positive. By Tuesday morning I was symptom free and today have nothing more than what feels like the tail end of a minor cold.

With a family Christmas coming up we've been checking current guidance. I was quite surprised by this. My wife is a highly experienced health professional so I'm confident in her research.

One is considered infectious for three days prior to testing positive. If one is symptom free five days after testing positive one can resume "normal" life without the need to take a second test or wait for a negative. If meeting with a vulnerable person mask wearing is advised.

This will mean I should be clear Friday morning. Frustrated as we've two consecutive days of great cycling weather.

Where are you reading that as this is all I can see?
Screenshot 2022-12-21 at 09.18.13.png

Top Bottom