Coronavirus outbreak

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LCpl Boiled Egg

Three word soundbite
Any body else been asked to do a home antibody test by Imperial and Ipsos Mori?

I got the request yesterday, obviously happy to do it.

I take it they don't supply you with your result?

I did one and was told the result very quickly.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Dire - so dire but Garden Centres and McDonalds remain open !

For take-away only, and delivery. I believe? (not a customer) I do see the queue of cars, at the nearby McD, as I go about my daily walk/cycle ride.

Is it only McD which should be ordered to close, or, all Take-away outlets?

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
My brother has a severe phobia of needles, resulting in panic attacks or fainting. It's a horrible situation to be in, particularly as he has a number of medical problems that necessitate the use of them in his treatment.

Are those painless things that fire whatever is being injected straight through the skin in use? I thought that this was the way ahead some years ago?

vickster

Legendary Member
Nope, don't think they ever took off (at least not in the mainstream)

Needles are very fine these days, I've just had to self inject heparin for 20 days after ankle op (high DVT risk being fairly immobile and non weight bearing)
...no pain from the actual needle...although my abdomen is covered in bruises but that's down to the substance rather than needle (my crap technique maybe didn't help as the first injection done by the nurse showing me what to do didn't leave a mark :wacko: )

Actually they do exist...but don't know which companies actually market with active substance (or where)
https://pharmajet.com/stratis-imsc/
https://insujet.com/

They wouldn't use for a single use vaccination, far too expensive

Last edited:

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Nope, don't think they ever took off (at least not in the mainstream)

Needles are very fine these days, I've just had to self inject heparin for 20 days after ankle op (high DVT risk being fairly immobile and non weight bearing)
...no pain from the actual needle...although my abdomen is covered in bruises but that's down to the substance rather than needle (my crap technique maybe didn't help as the first injection done by the nurse showing me what to do didn't leave a mark :wacko: )

I think I saw them on Tomorrow's World yonks back.

LCpl Boiled Egg

Three word soundbite
Needles can be very fine, but it depends on what they are being used for. The needles on my insulin pens are very fine, the ones used to take blood samples at the diabetic clinics are a lot fatter!

midlife

Guru
The needles need to be long enough and stiff enough to get into the muscle so wider than a heparin / diabetic needle.

1564 deaths recorded today :sad:

LCpl Boiled Egg

Three word soundbite
Blood thicker and gloopier than insulin...

The needles need to be long enough and stiff enough to get into the muscle so wider than a heparin / diabetic needle.

Absolutely, and while I'm fairly OK with needles I hope I never have to use my EpiPen - that is designed to go through clothes into the muscle... although if I ever have to the size of the needle won't be at the front of my mind!

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Are those painless things that fire whatever is being injected straight through the skin in use? I thought that this was the way ahead some years ago?

Not seen that except in the sick bay of the USS Enterprise!
Wouldn't be any use as an intravenous cannula that he needs now and again anyway. And don't even say the word dentist.:sad:

Top Bottom