Coronavirus outbreak

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Is the new variant really a mutation ? - or has the social distancing introduced a a bit of natural selection ?

As we wear masks and social distance - the virus can't spread as easily, so the strains that can't spread wither and die, however the strains that continue spread despite social distancing become the more dominant strains ? - Have we un wittingly created a super virus ?

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Is the new variant really a mutation ? - or has the social distancing introduced a a bit of natural selection ?

As we wear masks and social distance - the virus can't spread as easily, so the strains that can't spread wither and die, however the strains that continue spread despite social distancing become the more dominant strains ? - Have we un wittingly created a super virus ?

Possibly, maybe we should have just let nature take its course?

Rocky

Hello decadence
Wasn’t really a serious suggestion, but, presumably, Darwinism applies to viruses as well as other life forms? ;)
It depends on what you mean by Darwinism and what induces a virus needs to mutate. Incidentally one of the new strains of Covid has arisen in Brazil - not a country known for its masking and social distancing policies.

Reactions: mjr

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
In 1918, 50 million people worldwide died from the Spanish flu. It lasted 2 years and there was no vaccine then so, in theory, we can assume that Covid will last about the same length of time and wipe itself out. Having the vaccine might speed up things a bit but even then, I think we can't expect any real improvement until August/September. In the meantime, we will have to remain vigilant and respect the rules of keeping distances, wearing masks and avoid meeting others.

I have not read through the posts here for a good while so I don't know if my question has been addressed already.
In England I used to donate blood in one of the large function rooms at a hotel in town. Hundreds of people called in through the day to do the same.
Also I went for a scan at a mobile clinic set up in a sports centre car park and an endoscopy in a rubgy club car park of all places.
Has there been a drive to get people into large places mostly going unused at the moment? I'm listening to the radio, Jeremy Vine, there are people burbling about whether there is a demand for all hours vaccination, I cannot see the need if there are very large spaces available.

tom73

Guru
In 1918, 50 million people worldwide died from the Spanish flu. It lasted 2 years and there was no vaccine then so, in theory, we can assume that Covid will last about the same length of time and wipe itself out. Having the vaccine might speed up things a bit but even then, I think we can't expect any real improvement until August/September. In the meantime, we will have to remain vigilant and respect the rules of keeping distances, wearing masks and avoid meeting others.
Much of what is how things should basically pan out but sadly your forgetting covid's very helpful friend called Boris and his mate call Matt.

Top Bottom