Coronavirus outbreak

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pawl

Legendary Member
Numbers are not a surprise, I was just wondering what Boris might do. Not a lot....

I fealfor the nurses and others that work twelve hour shifts probably without proper breaks When I was nursing we worked three shifts of eight hour shifts I have never had to work a twelve hour shift Odd occasions I did a double shift due to staff shortages

Last edited:

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Whitty also said hospitalisations will increase for a week and deaths for almost two.

FT's Seb asking whether they will open up before under-50s vaccinated - Boris ducked - how excess vaccine doses are being used by GPs - Whitty backs GPs to decide sensibly as needed - and why UK public education isn't explaining that indoor unventilated spaces are the biggest danger - Vallance ducked.

Which of the above para's was a direct response to my post please?

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Numbers are not a surprise, I was just wondering what Boris might do. Not a lot....

Sorry, not understanding this comment - seems to me that there is an awful lot of Government driven activity on the go right now.

The individual actions may not fit everyone's exact viewpoint re what should be done but to say not a lot is stretching things imo.

In specific response to the rising number of deaths and the infection caseload it has been obvious for some time that these will continue to rise until the latest lockdown bites (looks like it is in some areas eg London, SE & E) as well as the vaccination rollout beginning to impact on the primary groups fueling the number of deaths.

Ajax Bay

Guru
FT's Seb asking whether they will open up before under-50s vaccinated - Boris ducked
Question not answered because a reasonable answer would be so easily miscontrued/mis-reported. Though the answer is 'yes', that is not the message that our leaders wish to convey, because some people will immediately fail to maintain the good behaviours seen so far this year.
Decision on "opening up" will depend on reported new cases falling to a threshold below which our NHS can reasonably cope (reinstating all the 'normal' life saving and life enhancing medical activities). The NHS is always stressed in the winter, and COVID-19 has added to the strain, to the detriment of all else.
The JCVI defined first 9 groups need to be vaccinated before any (normal) under 50s receive their first dose. And there will be a substantial pause those people getting their first dose because. In April and May most of the vaccination capacity will be taken up giving Groups 1-9 their second jab (about 20M so 7-10 weeks). Only thereafter will the under 50s be called forward. I am making the assumption that the programme will reach and then maintain 2M per week. It may well be that we can do better, but that will also depend on supply.

midlife

Guru
Sorry, not understanding this comment - seems to me that there is an awful lot of Government driven activity on the go right now.

The individual actions may not fit everyone's exact viewpoint re what should be done but to say not a lot is stretching things imo.

In specific response to the rising number of deaths and the infection caseload it has been obvious for some time that these will continue to rise until the latest lockdown bites (looks like it is in some areas eg London, SE & E) as well as the vaccination rollout beginning to impact on the primary groups fueling the number of deaths.

I was expecting something more motivational to hammer the messages home, maybe I was just grumpy after a crappy day at work.....

Ajax Bay

Guru
Well actually the inside/outside lock down / seasonal variation cause/effect is a theme in the video I linked which you decried.
Keep taking the Vitamin D3.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Well actually the inside/outside lock down / seasonal variation cause/effect is a theme in the video I linked which you decried.
Keep taking the Vitamin D3.
Being correct on one aspect wouldn't make the wrong bits right. It may not have drawn the correct conclusion for sound reasons - I don't know as it wasn't in the bit you cited and I would probably punch the screen if I watched much more of it!

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I'm probably going to go and get myself tested before long... now that those of us with no symptoms can. I work in a supermarket and could be one of the supposed one-in-three asymptomatic carriers... but is that one-in-three claim correct?

Ajax Bay

Guru
Don't know where you've got the one in three 'claim' from but seems high to me - link? That there is a significant proportion who are infected but asymptomatic, is based on the positive ratio of those tested (ie who get tested for symptomatic reasons (%age not known) as well as routinely ie work, school, entering hospital for stuff other than COVID-19). The powers that be make the assumption that the higher the ratio, the higher of wider asymptomatic infection in the wild.
This is not advice to get tested nor advice not to get tested.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Don't know where you've got the one in three 'claim' from but seems high to me - link? That there is a significant proportion who are infected but asymptomatic, is based on the positive ratio of those tested (ie who get tested for symptomatic reasons (%age not known) as well as routinely ie work, school, entering hospital for stuff other than COVID-19). The powers that be make the assumption that the higher the ratio, the higher of wider asymptomatic infection in the wild.
This is not advice to get tested nor advice not to get tested.
it seems high to me too.

The Government are making the claim on FB and their own website... https://www.gov.uk/coronavirus

this is one of several ad-things doing the rounds on FB...

Does 'act like you've got it' mean we should all self-isolate... since that's what I'd be doing if i had it?

Last edited:
Top Bottom