Coronavirus outbreak

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
1248 deaths according to Sky News bulletin just now
It's still a record for a Thursday, though not by much. (Because the reporting system is so inconsistent, indeed bad on some days of the week, it seems to make more sense to look at where we have been on previous Thursdays.) The 'though not by much' is probably a bit of less bad news.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Go to 11:45 for an alternate view.
:wacko: What a load of assumptions and handwaving (well, pointer-waving), including what seems like obvious mistakes. For example, there's a comparison of N & S Dakota soon after 11:45 and he draws a line across the graph and then says that was when masks were compelled in one and it should have had an immediate effect but it didn't therefore masks are useless. Even ignoring all the other problems with drawing that conclusion, has he not noticed that people don't die immediately when infected?

That's far from the only dodgy claim I noticed. I've not watched the rest because life is too short. File it under "lemons", please.

midlife

Guru
cases and deaths up from yesterday, can't read much into a single days figures but wonder what Boris will say at todays evening press conference?

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
cases and deaths up from yesterday, can't read much into a single days figures but wonder what Boris will say at todays evening press conference?

Surely that wasn't a surprise?

Just covered by Whitty in the briefing and we should see numbers falling very soon - he sounds on the money to me.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Surely that wasn't a surprise?

Just covered by Whitty in the briefing and we should see numbers falling very soon - he sounds on the money to me.
Whitty also said hospitalisations will increase for a week and deaths for almost two.

FT's Seb asking whether they will open up before under-50s vaccinated - Boris ducked - how excess vaccine doses are being used by GPs - Whitty backs GPs to decide sensibly as needed - and why UK public education isn't explaining that indoor unventilated spaces are the biggest danger - Vallance ducked.

tom73

Guru
Boris is going all out on hand washing and ducking the elephant in the room ie ventilation but totally bypasses it. Not a surprise the guidelines don't say much either. At least valance has just publicly blown Boris's cover and talked about it. Never mind Boris we have plenty of chocolate fire guards AKA plastic screens around the place.

tom73

Guru
Numbers are not a surprise, I was just wondering what Boris might do. Not a lot....
He stared ok pointing out how bad it is and the need to be safe. But then shot that out the window with the look at how good we are on the vaccine and went quickly downhill from then.

Ajax Bay

Guru
went quickly downhill from then.
I do look forward to you lauding the 'uphill' when the figures allow. Today was not a day for 'doing' anything (please suggest 'uphill' options open to government). We need to see the new cases (7 day average not day to day) dropping around the country as well as nationally and in the SE, and (as briefed) might hope that admissions will fall a week later, numbers in hospital to fall with another lag, and sadly deaths to take time to reach a negative second derivative (with time). I predict that the daily death rate will drop off a cliff in late February (because of less transmission and effective vaccination of 88% of citizens who would normally succumb).
Very hard yards for the NHS till then. Are we not fortunate in this country that we have a national HS and are a relative prosperous nation able to fund it to such a level?
The tunnel maybe uphill, and curving but we can see some light round the corner.

Last edited:
Top Bottom