Coronavirus outbreak

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Does 'act like you've got it' mean we should all self-isolate... since that's what I'd be doing if i had it?
Since March my behaviour has been driven by the firm conviction that everyone else has got it.

tom73

Guru
I'm probably going to go and get myself tested before long... now that those of us with no symptoms can. I work in a supermarket and could be one of the supposed one-in-three asymptomatic carriers... but is that one-in-three claim correct?
Don’t take the result of a rapid flow test as much comfort. They have a crap false negative rate miss over 40% of positive cases. Inc a high number of the mostly infectious cases and unless a positive result is followed up by PCR test. The system can’t pass results onto T&T.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
I'm probably going to go and get myself tested before long... now that those of us with no symptoms can. I work in a supermarket and could be one of the supposed one-in-three asymptomatic carriers... but is that one-in-three claim correct?

The 1 in 3 ratio (the proportion of Covid-infected people who don't display any symptoms) shouldn't be influenced by where you work, although the odds of you being infected in the first place (around 1 in 50 of the population) might.

All things being equal, the probability of someone picked at random from the population being both (a) infected and (b) symptomless will be the product of those probabilities, i.e. around 1 in 150.

Ajax Bay

Guru
the probability of someone picked at random from the population being both (a) infected and (b) symptomless will be the product of those probabilities, i.e. around 1 in 150
Dave that's well spotted (am annoyed with myself for not making that 'More or Less' step). Even at 1 in 3, and 2M (infected (cfm by test) at any one time - gross overestimate) in 60M (population) that's 1 in 90.

midlife

Guru
Like most patient facing staff I lateral flow test twice a week. Its mainly to pick up asymptomatic carriers. If we have symptoms then we phone occupational health for a PCR not use the lateral flow.

We know it has high false negative but better than nothing.

tom73

Guru
DOHS own official report into the Liverpool pilot which only last week Hancock shot down as wrong.
Even the MHRA won’t approve them for most thing the government want to use them as due error being too high. The plan for schools is no go only last week the MHRA formal told them they are not licensed for weekly testing. Plenty of experts on testing don‘t like them either.

Last edited:

tom73

Guru
Like most patient facing staff I lateral flow test twice a week. Its mainly to pick up asymptomatic carriers. If we have symptoms then we phone occupational health for a PCR not use the lateral flow.

We know it has high false negative but better than nothing.
That’s one thing problem is they are sold as a “you don’t have COVID so off you” like what happen with students. Not as a small part of test options.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom