Coronavirus outbreak

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Very much mirrors my situation. I've had Covid three times but only tested because of prolonged close exposure and on twp orher occasions feeling a bit off colour, nothing more than a runny nose and 12 hour sore throat but the situation demanded I test and was positive each time.

My wife was negative each time despite sharing a bed for 2-3 nights prior to my +ve tests. She was though extremely ill with all the symptoms in late December '19/early January '20 and not fully recovered till May '20. In 45 years I have never seen her so poorly. She, a retired health professional, our practice nurse and GP all think she had Covid but with no diagnosis.

I think it would be unlikely to find anyone who hasn't been infected in some way.

I think it is possible I may have had it in November 2020 (before the availability of LFTs) as I had 'covid toes' or near enough to what that seemed to be - and never in my life, before or since, have I had such itchy chilblain-like things!

Alex321

Veteran
Only if you are over 75 or have one of a long list of conditions which make you potentially vulnerable. I'm booked for mine on Saturday. I got three hits:

I'm in Wales. I think the eligibility may be different in England.

We have been given both Covid and Flu jabs if over 50 for the last couple of years.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I think it would be unlikely to find anyone who hasn't been infected in some way.
Strangely enough, I know someone for whom that would have been true until last week. Unless it was their first non-asymptomatic infection, of course, but because of vulnerability, they've been super cautious. They caught it off their daughter, who works in a primary Petri-dish and has had covid 4 times already.

This, of course, doesn't contradict what you said, but it's still possible to be a late first-timer.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Strangely enough, I know someone for whom that would have been true until last week. Unless it was their first non-asymptomatic infection, of course, but because of vulnerability, they've been super cautious. They caught it off their daughter, who works in a primary Petri-dish and has had covid 4 times already.

This, of course, doesn't contradict what you said, but it's still possible to be a late first-timer.

Yes, I've two friends, a couple, who are both immunosuppressed, one is under treatment for and in remission of a very rare cancer. Despite taking every precaution plus seven jabs to date he, cancer sufferer, caught Covid just before Christmas.

Alex321

Veteran
Could well be. I was using the NHS app but don't know if it's England only.

Actually, looking at the NHS Wales website, there is a Spring Booster which is indeed only available to those who are over 75 or with a weakened immune system.

I must admit, I didn't even know there WAS a Spring booster programme. I had assumed it was going to be every Autumn, as with the flu jabs.

I was also assuming, without checking, that it would continue with the same eligibility as last Autumn. I have no idea now whether there will also be an Autumn booster, or what the eligibility will be if there is.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Actually, looking at the NHS Wales website, there is a Spring Booster which is indeed only available to those who are over 75 or with a weakened immune system.

I must admit, I didn't even know there WAS a Spring booster programme. I had assumed it was going to be every Autumn, as with the flu jabs.

I was also assuming, without checking, that it would continue with the same eligibility as last Autumn. I have no idea now whether there will also be an Autumn booster, or what the eligibility will be if there is.

I received the invitation via the NHS app because my records show I may qualify - see earlier post. For me this is an issue. My son, Downs Syndrome, also qualifies but doesn't have the NHS app. He hasn't received a letter.

A GP friend has talked about her concerns of what she describes as "digital disability." As the NHS moves towards digital communications those unable to access or who opt out of the digital world may find themselves disadvantaged or excluded in some way.

Any communication I receive from the NHS comes digitally these days.

vickster

Legendary Member
I received the invitation via the NHS app because my records show I may qualify - see earlier post. For me this is an issue. My son, Downs Syndrome, also qualifies but doesn't have the NHS app. He hasn't received a letter.

A GP friend has talked about her concerns of what she describes as "digital disability." As the NHS moves towards digital communications those unable to access or who opt out of the digital world may find themselves disadvantaged or excluded in some way.

My parents, both over 75, have received spring booster letters, my older clinically vulnerable father first. I’m taking them for the jabs on Saturday. They don’t even know what an app is :laugh:
If your son is eligible, you should be able to book him in online
https://www.nhs.uk/nhs-services/cov...ccination-services/book-covid-19-vaccination/

Last edited:

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I had covid once and am booked for a booster in a couple of weeks. It means a 42 mile car journey but I will go anyway and I think other boosters are on offer tho' I cannot remember just now what they are.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
I guess that could be the case.

Would it be odd to have 2 people in the same house to be in that position? Neither having taken any precautions other than the standard guidance for healthy individuals.

Because of differences in antibodies between vaccination and infection, a blood test can show if you've been infected.

I can't find a link now, but IIRC, about 75% of the people who believe they've never been infected actually have been.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Lucky you. Although I'm registered on every online service I think I have access to (GP, Pharmacy, one hospital but not the other, national website, ...), the NHS still sends paper both to me and between its parts about me. It's a good day when it manages to send the right bits of paper to all the people who need them in a timely manner without my checking and prompting. I expect I'll read about anything I become eligible for on forums before the NHS tells me. I sometimes wonder if the seemingly-random and arbitrary NHS cycling infrastructure is planned by the same process as the IT infrastructure!

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I can't find a link now, but IIRC, about 75% of the people who believe they've never been infected actually have been.
Interesting.

My wife and I have, like Lance Armstrong, never tested positive. (Although I did have a very nasty illness early in the pandemic, before tests were available to the public.) But pretty much everyone we know has had it.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Interesting.

My wife and I have, like Lance Armstrong, never tested positive. (Although I did have a very nasty illness early in the pandemic, before tests were available to the public.) But pretty much everyone we know has had it.

Likewise here, although I accept that we both could have been positive with no symptoms.

For various reasons we both have taken LFT's throughout the pandemic - all negative for each of us.

Most of our friends and family have had at least one covid experience and all our neighbours have.

I just find it odd that two people in the same household could have both been affected and been asymptomatic.

However, neither of us has any expert medical knowledge so we are not in a position to question the probability of the above occurring.

Top Bottom