Coronavirus outbreak

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tom73

Guru
Likewise here, although I accept that we both could have been positive with no symptoms.

For various reasons we both have taken LFT's throughout the pandemic - all negative for each of us.

Most of our friends and family have had at least one covid experience and all our neighbours have.

I just find it odd that two people in the same household could have both been affected and been asymptomatic.

However, neither of us has any expert medical knowledge so we are not in a position to question the probability of the above occurring.

Given the high asymptomatic rate it's not impossible for a household to be infected and not know.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Given the high asymptomatic rate it's not impossible for a household to be infected and not know.

Out of interest what is the asymptomatic infection rate - current and at peak?

Ajax Bay

Guru
The difficulty describing the at risk groups was mentioned earlier.
Doing so in a way that allows primary care to execute their role is a good point and not simple: the JCVI have representation and members with primary care experience.
A GP friend has talked about her concerns of what she describes as "digital disability." As the NHS moves towards digital communications those unable to access or who opt out of the digital world may find themselves disadvantaged or excluded in some way
The 'digital divide' needs to be recognised and routines in place to allow effective communication with the 'customer' being allowed to choose and systems set up to cope with those less able (and luddites).
This 'digital world' is only getting more demanding: the incentive to keep up will be the adverse effects of otherwise disadvantage and in extremis exclusion. We want the NHS to be as efficient as possible: this includes trying to take advantage of modern technology and communication systems.
The community and relative/friends/neighbours have a key role to play in helping those less than fully able (I appreciate my sons' and daughters' help with some of this, but still had to resort to riyals (from the hotel ATM) for a demanding Riyadh taxi driver (aka Emmerson Fitipaldi) when various cards and apps didn't crack it).

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Likewise here, although I accept that we both could have been positive with no symptoms.

For various reasons we both have taken LFT's throughout the pandemic - all negative for each of us.

Most of our friends and family have had at least one covid experience and all our neighbours have.

I just find it odd that two people in the same household could have both been affected and been asymptomatic.

However, neither of us has any expert medical knowledge so we are not in a position to question the probability of the above occurring.

We lft'd occasionally but not regularly. Always negative. Personally I suspect that I had COVID early on. It's kind of pointless speculating, but there's nothing wrong with a bit of pointless speculation.

I guess that could be the case.

Would it be odd to have 2 people in the same house to be in that position? Neither having taken any precautions other than the standard guidance for healthy individuals.

TBH, I think it would be less odd to have two people in one house who have each had one or more asymptomatic infections, than it would be to have two people in one house, neither of whom have had a c-19 infection at all , while following standard guidance.

Asymptomatic infections of c-19 have been acknowledged since the blasted thing escaped its cave, wet market, lab or other original home and set up shop in the 'outside' world, and I'm sure that some of us reading this have one now, had one yesterday or will have one tomorrow. But we are very unlikely to know about it unless certain turns of events occur, which just happen to directly coincide with an infection - some of which, like mine, appear to last for a very short time indeed.

PK99

Legendary Member
TBH, I think it would be less odd to have two people in one house who have each had one or more asymptomatic infections, than it would be to have two people in one house, neither of whom have had a c-19 infection at all , while following standard guidance.

Asymptomatic infections of c-19 have been acknowledged since the blasted thing escaped its cave, wet market, lab or other original home and set up shop in the 'outside' world, and I'm sure that some of us reading this have one now, had one yesterday or will have one tomorrow. But we are very unlikely to know about it unless certain turns of events occur, which just happen to directly coincide with an infection - some of which, like mine, appear to last for a very short time indeed.

I had mine over the start of the first lockdown. Had I not been on heightened alert because of chest issues potentially complicating Covid {long history of multiple difficult-to-treat chest infections and permanent prophylactic antibiotics}, I doubt I would have let it interfere with normal life - just a small tad "off-normal" with my Ramipril cough a little more prominent than normal. on a 1-10 scale where 1 is normal 10 is full-blown flu, I'd have rated it 2-3. As it was I isolated and after 2/3 days was feeling as normal - then after 7 days sense of smell disappeared for a week.

Like you, I'm certain many people have had asymptomatic Covid.

I've had letters recently from some charities advising they are able to begin starting up some of their services (face to face events mostly) now we are nearing the end of the initial danger period. It's strange that for many of us things got back to normal some time ago, or never stopped been normal, but there are still services affected.

On a different note a cafe I saw a recently had a sign in the window proudly stating 'no mask or vaccinations required', needless to say I ate elsewhere!

Ajax Bay

Guru
now we are nearing the end of the initial danger period.
Is this the phrase used in the letters you've received? Weird.
Are we all now in a continuing "danger period"? Do they attempt to scope the 'danger level', comparing it to other life dangers?

Is this the phrase used in the letters you've received? Weird.
Are we all now in a continuing "danger period"? Do they attempt to scope the 'danger level', comparing it to other life dangers?

Feel free to choose your own turn of phrase to describe the period from March 2020 to May 2023.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Even if a nasty strain develops, i'm hoping that previous infections will give some protection.
My 2nd bout was far milder than my first...
Other way round for me and I'm sure I remember reading that most people suffered worst with their second.

But of course the high asymptomatic rate means you might not have noticed your first. A few weeks later and I would have mistaken my first for usual hay fever.

There was no missing the second time, though! So I'm in no hurry to find out what the third bout is like.

newts

Veteran
1rst infection July 21 was horrendous for me, 2nd time July 22 pretty groggy for a few days. 3rd time December 22 just like a heavy cold with headache. Long covid (chronic fatigue) is still very much a part of day to day life since the original infection.

Last edited:
Top Bottom