Coronavirus outbreak

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lane

Veteran
It would be good to also have obesity rates to establish how it stands as a risk factor.

I have seen reports it is a significant factor but most likely I would guess due to linked conditions.

lane

Veteran
Not at all. It’s well known that a significant percentage of people who get infected are completely asymptotic, or have such mild symptoms that they wouldn’t bother mentioning it normally. You can’t report that someone has died, of something you didn’t know existed. In the early days of this outbreak, that’s what would have happened. The “sudden” amount of deaths, was only because they now had something to attribute the death to.

I really think we might have noticed that all the ICUs were filling up with people with similar issues. We certainly seemed to have noticed recently.

winjim

Smash the cistern
I really think we might have noticed that all the ICUs were filling up with people with similar issues. We certainly seemed to have noticed recently.
You can diagnose a respiratory infection without having to identify the specific pathogen involved.

lane

Veteran
Even if the death rate is 0.01% (it clearly is much higher but for arguments sake) if 50% of people have had it that's 30,000 deaths and a much higher figure admitted to hospital in a couple of months I think we would have noticed. It didn't happen. Infection rates are nearer 5% than 50% currently sadly.

Eziemnaik

Über Member
If that is the paper saying 50% are already infected and the infection started spreading much earlier in Jan I really have serious doubts about that to the point I am amazed it was published. 50% of people got infected but no one died and nor suddenly we have 1,000 a day dieing while the other 50% get infected. Hardly credible. Wishful thinking.
Could be people had died, hadn't been tested, deaths have been attributed to respiratory diseases

Not at all. It’s well known that a significant percentage of people who get infected are completely asymptotic, or have such mild symptoms that they wouldn’t bother mentioning it normally. You can’t report that someone has died, of something you didn’t know existed. In the early days of this outbreak, that’s what would have happened. The “sudden” amount of deaths, was only because they now had something to attribute the death to.
It isn't known at all. In fact WHO very early on went into Wuhan - and found no evidence of a large number of undetected infections. Admiittley the sample was very small.

rualexander

Legendary Member
Interesting data from Sweden, updated daily, describing ICU occupancy, risk factors (age, obesity, diabetes, hypertension etc), sex bias

https://www.icuregswe.org/en/data--results/covid-19-in-swedish-intensive-care/

It is interesting to compare transparency compared to UK or Spain

https://www.icnarc.org/DataServices/Attachments/Download/76a7364b-4b76-ea11-9124-00505601089b

Absolute nonsense.

In order to hold this opinion you need to provide an explanation for overflowing ICUs and morgues other than COVID.

You can't, because there isn't one
According to the people on the front line at several large hospitals the morgues and ICUs aren’t “overflowing” ( quite the opposite is true ) , in fact they are reporting that there’s no real need for the ‘Nightingale hospitals’ as things stand, as the flow of patients is not that severe at present ( which was the original primary idea of the lockdown measures) that is just about the worst bit of unjustified rubbish that’s been spouted on here so far. You have to remember that the ICU system is not a closed system, people go in, they recover ( or die ) they then come out of the unit, and that place is vacant again. It’s all about managing the flow / throughput ( or was until the handwringers managed to change the agenda).

Last edited:
Absolute nonsense.

In order to hold this opinion you need to provide an explanation for overflowing ICUs and morgues other than COVID.

You can't, because there isn't one
Indeed that was how it was discovered - that Dr in China noticed a surge in otherwise healthy people dying of Pneumonia.

According to the people on the front line at several large hospitals the morgues and ICUs aren’t “overflowing” ( quite the opposite is true ) , in fact they are reporting that there’s no real need for the ‘Nightingale hospitals’ as things stand, as the flow of patients is not that severe at present ( which was the original primary idea of the lockdown measures) that is just about the worst bit of unjustified rubbish that’s been spouted on here so far.
Really because here in the west Midlands they are predicting to be out of capacity by this weekend.

Wots you're overall beef with this ? - do you run a business that's going to go bump during the lockdown ?

The general theme of you're posts seem to be that this is greatly exaggerated or not even happening at all.

Pete.

Unkraut

Master of the Inane Comment
Also gathering sex disaggregated data in the UK would be a good idea. The number of countries that seem to think that this data is unimportant is surprising given that it does appear to affect men and women differently.
Interestingly enough the difference here early on was 57% male to 43% female. Since then it has evened out, and the position at midnight last night was a somewhat familiar figure of 52% male and 48% female.

I wonder if nearer the beginning women (sensibly) took the restrictions of social distancing and hand washing more seriously than men did.

Eziemnaik

Über Member
Interestingly enough the difference here early on was 57% male to 43% female. Since then it has evened out, and the position at midnight last night was a somewhat familiar figure of 52% male and 48% female.

I wonder if nearer the beginning women (sensibly) took the restrictions of social distancing and hand washing more seriously than men did.
It is then quite different from other countries, where proportions are close to 70/30
As they are in the ICNARC report

Last edited:
Top Bottom