Coronavirus outbreak

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Grrrr, roads are emptier than they've ever been. It doesn't mean a license to speed.

Grrrr, roads are emptier than they've ever been. It doesn't mean a license to speed.

View attachment 516568

Was it caused by speeding? Is there a 60mph speed limit at that point? A 30mph crash can be serious. Not enough info in that tweet to come to any conclusions.

tom73

Guru
Well, that's my first experience of NHS procurement systems and it's pretty shambolic

I have a number of contacts who manufacture PPE outside UK. They've seen what is going on in UK and have contacted me to see if they can help (it's business of course)

So I've been in direct contact with several local NHS trusts to see what procurement policy is. I can organise supply of tens of thousands of masks, hazmat suits and surgical gowns every day

Each trust told me something different. Trust 1 said they were trying to buy PPE themselves but "the man you need to speak to" was on holiday this week (!!). Trust 2 said it was all sourced and distributed at a national level and they would give me the contacts (they haven't yet). Trust 3 said it was sourced and distributed regionally and they would give me the contacts (they haven't yet)

Not impressed. I've got CE certified suppliers wanting to supply
Sadly not a surprise
Have you tried local hospices and care homes they are really finding it hard to get stuff.
What about the local CCG ?
Nationally I know Sue Ryder are really in trouble with PPE supply.
I can put the word out on SM if like?

Well, that's my first experience of NHS procurement systems and it's pretty shambolic

I have a number of contacts who manufacture PPE outside UK. They've seen what is going on in UK and have contacted me to see if they can help (it's business of course)

So I've been in direct contact with several local NHS trusts to see what procurement policy is. I can organise supply of tens of thousands of masks, hazmat suits and surgical gowns every day

Each trust told me something different. Trust 1 said they were trying to buy PPE themselves but "the man you need to speak to" was on holiday this week (!!). Trust 2 said it was all sourced and distributed at a national level and they would give me the contacts (they haven't yet). Trust 3 said it was sourced and distributed regionally and they would give me the contacts (they haven't yet)

Not impressed. I've got CE certified suppliers wanting to supply

Why would expect a singular response ? - The idea of NHS foundation trusts is that they run how they see fit - with some parameters of course - The idea was that the better hospitals thrive and the weaker ones get taken over by the better ones.

A complete dogs breakfast of an Idea - further example, we used to buy Microsoft licenses as the whole NHS - They cost us next to nothing - then in 2010 this agreement was torn up - and each hospital had to purchase separately from Microsoft - Guess what ? - We ended up paying more per license !!!!!

Sadly we've now reached the grim number of 100 Health and social care workers who've died. :sad:
Now will someone listen and do something ?

What do you think ?

Unfortunately you can not run down an NHS for 10 years - then just boost it up again - no matter how much money you throw at it. Basic project management - you throw in 6 new developers to a software project for example - things actually slow down in the short term as these people need to be brought up to speed etc...

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
A complete dogs breakfast of an Idea - further example, we used to buy Microsoft licenses as the whole NHS - They cost us next to nothing - then in 2010 this agreement was torn up - and each hospital had to purchase separately from Microsoft - Guess what ? - We ended up paying more per license !!!!!
We shouldn't be running public services on single-supplier monopoly licensed software from Microsoft (or anyone else) anyway, but that's a whole other discussion off-topic here. The relevant thing is that there hasn't appeared to be been rational leadership for NHS purchasing for quite some time, not on software and now it seems not on PPE or ventilators either.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Why would expect a singular response ? - The idea of NHS foundation trusts is that they run how they see fit - with some parameters of course - The idea was that the better hospitals thrive and the weaker ones get taken over by the better ones.

No problem managing a situation if all trusts are independent purchasing entities. But that's just the point. On PPE it seems that it's all over the place...trusts buying, regional entities buying, national buying.

So I've got suppliers wanting to supply but finding the correct route is, let's say, challenging

We shouldn't be running public services on single-supplier monopoly licensed software from Microsoft (or anyone else) anyway, but that's a whole other discussion off-topic here. The relevant thing is that there hasn't appeared to be been rational leadership for NHS purchasing for quite some time, not on software and now it seems not on PPE or ventilators either.

No - but thats probably not that easy to set up in a few days - not that I am defending the lack of PPE - But existing suppliers/standards will have been built up over many months/years - you can not just place an order for an extra 10m - and expect them to arrive at the hospitals......

Last edited:
No problem managing a situation if all trusts are independent purchasing entities. But that's just the point. On PPE it seems that it's all over the place...trusts buying, regional entities buying, national buying.

So I've got suppliers wanting to supply but finding the correct route is, let's say, challenging

Yep that doesn't surprise me. Thing is who is going to want to sign off on PPE from an unknown supplier (no disrespect to your company intended)

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Yep that doesn't surprise me. Thing is who is going to want to sign off on PPE from an unknown supplier (no disrespect to your company intended)
Surely it should all be tested the same whether the supplier is known or unknown? Even known suppliers are under stress now, we've read above about some famous-brand stuff being carp and this really is too important to be trusting "proof by reputation" with the lives of care workers.

Top Bottom