Coronavirus outbreak

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Unkraut

Master of the Inane Comment
New Zealand ... I expect they got lucky and effective testing , clear public health message, leadership going the right thing at the right time regardless of risking being unpopular.
They clamped down very hard when the numbers were still very low, managed to stop an escalation and were for a while free of the virus. Unfortunately since then it has been brought back into the country by those returning home or allowed in on compassionate grounds. The latter included two British women, who reintroduced the virus aided by a NZ failure to implement the lockdown procedures properly in their case.

Unkraut

Master of the Inane Comment
Except that John Ioannidis and his colleagues say one thing and do the exact opposite (as my wife has found when challenging them on the evidence)!!
What I found interesting about him was that he is often touted (e.g. Daily Wailers) as an informed figure who has argued against the lockdown strategy, when in fact he does see the necessity of this if only because of the initially slow reaction.

tom73

Guru
They clamped down very hard when the numbers were still very low, managed to stop an escalation and were for a while free of the virus. Unfortunately since then it has been brought back into the country by those returning home or allowed in on compassionate grounds. The latter included two British women, who reintroduced the virus aided by a NZ failure to implement the lockdown procedures properly in their case.
They did yes but without the rest it would not have been enough. The quarantine error was quickly fixed only little error and next day the army are put in charge of running it. What’s more a few others example got found to have happened and with out any messing about the health minister resigned. Now compare that with here mess up after mess up and still they hang on.

Wobblers

Euthermic
Even if you're correct, half a percent of the UK population is ~330'000. Wiping out the population of Coventry or Nottingham is not a large part to you?

And it's not just that 300,000 (actually, the data we have suggests 600,000 is a more likely figure) who die. It's the millions who'll suffer post viral fatigue, and will be simply unable to go back to work for many months, over 6 in some cases. It's the hundreds of thousands who'll be unfortunate enough to have permanent lung damage, and never be able to work again. Or the tens of thousands who'll end up on dialysis, or the tens of thousands who'll end up with strokes. These are people who'll need expensive treatment for the rest of their lives. The financial burden to the NHS, and society as a whole of those unfortunate people would likely dwarf the cost of the lockdown.

MntnMan62

Über Member
The most incredible story I heard today is of a 30 year old man from San Antonio, Texas who attended a Covid party. These Covid parties are parties for people who think the virus is a hoax and attend with someone who tested positive so they can compete to see who can catch the virus first. I kid you not. And his dying words were “I think I made a mistake. I thought this was a hoax, but it's not.” This is a perfect example of just how ridiculously stupid people in the US are and explains why donald drumpf is in the White House.

Slick

Guru

The most incredible story I heard today is of a 30 year old man from San Antonio, Texas who attended a Covid party. These Covid parties are parties for people who think the virus is a hoax and attend with someone who tested positive so they can compete to see who can catch the virus first. I kid you not. And his dying words were “I think I made a mistake. I thought this was a hoax, but it's not.” This is a perfect example of just how ridiculously stupid people in the US are and explains why donald drumpf is in the White House.
Are we sure this is really true?

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I expect they got lucky

In one sense they did get lucky. Remote geography, island nation, low population, and only low levels of air travel from other countries. NZ isn't a major aviation staging post where millions of people a week briefly touch down on the way to some final destination, which is the case in both the UK and US. You don't just decide on a whim to hop on a plane and go to NZ for a long weekend, as a lot of people do between countries in western Europe. There's massively less mixing of international travellers between countries, so the conduit for virus transmission in NZ simply didn't exist to anything like the degree of most countries that were much worst hit by the virus.

PK99

Legendary Member
In one sense they did get lucky. Remote geography, island nation, low population, and only low levels of air travel from other countries. NZ isn't a major aviation staging post where millions of people a week briefly touch down on the way to some final destination, which is the case in both the UK and US. You don't just decide on a whim to hop on a plane and go to NZ for a long weekend, as a lot of people do between countries in western Europe. There's massively less mixing of international travellers between countries, so the conduit for virus transmission in NZ simply didn't exist to anything like the degree of most countries that were much worst hit by the virus.

Putting some numbers to those:
1000+miles to the nearest landmass
5 Million population with the same land area as the UK
Largest city 1.5million
Peak daily air passenger arrivals at all airports 24,000 in January (peak tourist season) Vs Heathrow 100,000 arrivals per day annual average

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Putting some numbers to those:
1000+miles to the nearest landmass
5 Million population with the same land area as the UK
Largest city 1.5million
Peak daily air passenger arrivals at all airports 24,000 in January (peak tourist season) Vs Heathrow 100,000 arrivals per day annual average

Don't know about new zealand but coronavirus arrived in the UK at least 1300 hundred separate times.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/health-52993734

I know Iceland did genetic study. Iceland was unlucky as had big enougg air links to the UK and Germany to have it imported on lots of different occasions.

Top Bottom